Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dimmy77_03 wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 21:32

Im not too good at this either... but isnt dumping the clutch when you put the gas down and rev the crap out of the engine and then just let the clutch up fast but gradually. So your car sits there screching and smoking like crazy??? Confused

Sorry if im wrong...

A clutch dump is when you give it revs and then sidestep the clutch so that it grabs as quickly as possible.

Jag7799 wrote on Sat, 08 May 2004 22:17

can someone explain double clutching to me with some sort of written example

You've been watching too much Fast & Furious haven't you?
Double clutching is when you're driving a box with no synchros. It's not a performance thing.
If you're really curious over the actual method, do a search, it's been covered many times before.
  Send a private message to this user    
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was just asking cause a guy said it to me and i was sure it was somehting u only do on dog box's
like he was like "u need to learn to douyble clutch" and im like "wtf"
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
double clutches are great when your synchros are on the way out - but not in a drag race. then you should be "granny shifting" as vin diesel so elequantly puts it
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As I understand it double clutching is just when you put the box into neutral, clutch out, blip the throttle to get the revs up (to sync the 2 halfs of your gearbox), clutch in then slide it into gear. There is no way you should be doing it on the way up (unless your syncros are screwed) but it can be helpful for getting it into gear smoothly if you do it on the way down. My syncro on second isn't so great so unless I'm going real slow I have to do it to get into 2nd from 3rd. Some people combine this with breaking, and that is known as heel-toeing.

Thats what Vinny is talking about in that movie that got everything wrong. Not that I know why the hell you would double clutch in a drag... 'cept perhaps afterwards... but I would just put it in neutral and coast to a stop... I guess I'm just not a proper street racer.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep - double clutching only useful if you've abused your gearbox so badly that there are no syncho teeth left to assist you with gear changes...
Laughing
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 13:27

I guess I'm just not a proper street racer.

'cause you dont use NAAAAAAAAAWZ
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 13:53

I guess I'm just not a proper street racer.

'cause you dont use NAAAAAAAAAWZ

It's true, I don't. I do have a Lancer though! I just need some stickers and neons and I'll be a real street racer!!! Just like I always wanted! Razz

... Oh and a NOS system installed into my cam cover Laughing
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thing is jag7799, Ed's car probably does have more damaging drivetrain torque off the line than yours, unless u are fully launching it with full boost...
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Some people combine this with breaking, and that is known as heel-toeing.

You don't double-clutch when you heel-toe.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All i can say for the GZE owner is get good tyres. I have 195s at the front which are remarkably easy to smoke up.

As for the dumping off the line, highpowered RWD is hard to get right. Practice lots
amwtoy
Regular

March 2004
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I "double clutch" every time i downshift. I do it the cheesy way - don't put it into neutral, just hit the accelerator when the clutch is all the way in. I really hate the "feel" of downshifting when you don't do it, where the car kinda jerks a little bit as the revs go up. Of course perhaps it's not supposed to jerk, in which case i'm either a crappy driver or my synchros are gone Very Happy I can't imagine how it'd help you in a drag race, though. Maybe on a cornered race when you need to downshift to pass someone?

[Updated on: Sun, 09 May 2004 05:27]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can match revs without needing to double-clutch.
That's why heel-toeing doesn't involve double-clutching.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i was at work all day but it seems i missed alot Razz
I think at willowbank im just gonna pussy it off the line and hope for low 13's
on dry road after gear changes how do single spinners go on high powered cars?.. the end doesent step out does it?..
still a week away from my car Sad
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the back stepping out is a characteristic of an LSD - both wheels spin, one slightly harder than the other, hence the back steps out.
Single spinners will still do it, around corners especially. Best way to think of it is this: it's easier to spin the wheel(s) when you dont have an LSD, but equally the effect is less violent if you dont have an LSD. The loss of traction of one of the wheels can be enough to make the back break during hard cornering, but generally speaking you get yourself in less trouble without an lsd (and go round a track slower)
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how did ur ma61 diff put up with it?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, I broke the car before I broke the diff :\
Norbie ripped his a new one, but generally a ma61 diff should be able to cope with a reasonably standard 1jz (boost, cooler, zorst) for a while
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
norbie makes considerably more torque though
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one would hope so.
Hence me predicting it would last substantially longer behind a 1jz Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
launching my thing is going to be difficult i dare say Sad
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no doubt it will be.. ur gonna have to baby gearbox and diff
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do you match speeds of the two halves of your gearbox without letting the clutch out to spin the top(?) half up?? And if you are letting the clutch out between gears, isn't that double clutching? If not, what the hell is double clutching?

And LSDs are less safe than single spinners? Never heard that before... I suppose it makes sense though. Confused
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Sun, 09 May 2004 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 09:39

How do you match speeds of the two halves of your gearbox without letting the clutch out to spin the top(?) half up?? And if you are letting the clutch out between gears, isn't that double clutching? If not, what the hell is double clutching?

Clutch in
Rev whilst selecting lower gear
Clutch out
(If you're heel-toeing, do all of this while breaking)

As opposed to double-clutching:
Clutch in
Select neutral
Clutch half out
Rev
Clutch in
Select lower gear
Clutch out

Rev matching spins up the engine so that there's not that massive shock load when you engage the clutch and the box'es revs don't match the engine's.
Double clutching adds in the extra step to spin up the gears inside the box to match the revs also.

Shraka wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 09:39

And LSDs are less safe than single spinners? Never heard that before... I suppose it makes sense though. Confused

Definately.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Mon, 10 May 2004 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about in the rain though?.. even in my 1g geu the single spinner was bloody dangerous.. if it decided to drop from 2nd to 1st it ended at about 6000-7000 rpm and sent the tail all over the place
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Mon, 10 May 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Changing lanes when you change gears in the wet (or dry) is part of the fun with an LSD Very Happy

boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Mon, 10 May 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes but your car will be a manual and won't do silly automatic transmission things like dropping a gear and revving at 6000-7000 RPM Razz
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Mon, 10 May 2004 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, fair enough Nark, but that doesn't help my car get into gear, and thats why I heel-toe while double clutching. Very Happy

Worn Syncros I suppose.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Mon, 10 May 2004 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you rev match properly, you can change gears without using the clutch at all! (don't try this at home)
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Mon, 10 May 2004 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 11:48

if you rev match properly, you can change gears without using the clutch at all! (don't try this at home)

can i try it at work?
mrsoopra
Regular

July 2002
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Mon, 10 May 2004 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I had my MK2 with a 1JZGTE, i found the best way to get off the mark was the following :

1. With standard clutch - Ride clutch from around 3,000rpm
(no wheelspin, no damage to diff/box, but wears clutches out quickly)

2. With button clutch - dump the clutch at around 5,000rpm.. I still had wheelspin all through first and 2nd but it was a very quick launch (quicker than riding the clutch, off the mark on full boost ).. Note : I did blow my diff after a few months though. Rolling Eyes

Best bet is to get ur car back and play around with it. Each car has its own 'sweet spot'.. Just have to figure it out

Cheers

Gaz
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Mon, 10 May 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
without lsd it would be worse too...
so u mean just sorta depress the clutch while taking off to keep wheel spin under control
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Mon, 10 May 2004 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some people get confused between double clutching and heel & toe

http://www.triumphspitfire.com/healtoe.html
http://www.felixwong.com/openroad/double_clutch.ht ml
http://www.driversedge.com/dblcltch.htm

taken from this thread

http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 4206&hl=double+clutch
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Mon, 10 May 2004 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive read them before.. id practise it.. or atleast try it.. but im still waiting for said manual car
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Tue, 11 May 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay NickAE86 according to those sites I'm right. And that's how I downshift. Very Happy

Edit: Oh and "EVERY BODY DANCE!!" "This is FUN!"

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2004 01:06]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Tue, 11 May 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stop bitching girls Razz.. jokin
well my car wont be ready until ATLEAST next wednesday so another week and a day.. im really hoping its done then
anyway was at the workshop today and got engineering cert and roadworthy(yes even though it doesent turn on)
heres some pics
r154 box is only an inch or so back from stock
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/engine_in2.jpg
http://members.optushome.com.au/jag7799/car/engine_in1.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2004 03:26]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Tue, 11 May 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Man there is alot of room in that enginebay, can you swing some my way?
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Manual car Launching techniques(especially mk2 1jz people) Tue, 11 May 2004 04:46 Go to previous message
no.... its my room! Razz
sending radiator and condensor off in next few days to them so they can fit cooler and such
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE86'ers - whats ya 1/4?
Next Topic:mini trucks
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 30 03:43:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075719356536865 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.