Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » who likes Commodores ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 07:37 Go to next message

who likes commodores[ 83 vote(s) ]
1.yes there cool! 29 / 35%
2.no there puss buckets 54 / 65%

just thought this would be an interesting poll Smile and yes I'm not a fan of alot of them so I'm voting no

Send a private message to this user    
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes and opionions are more then welcome if you wan't to state wether you like or do not like commodores
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they're a family car...which some people choose to spice up a bit...what more can be said...they are just like a camry, magna, or falcon...built for a general purpose everyday use, and generally speaking they do their job well.

Its only when people between the age of 17-early 20's get a hold of them and try and make them special, they become a bit of a joke and get their bad reputation...

[Updated on: Sun, 09 May 2004 07:57]

smt_007
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I only like the VL Turbo, anything else Holden i dont like, im more of a FORD fan Smile, but i might be getting a VL Turbo soon Confused .
Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree that when people do them up it becomes silly.
However i think just in terms of a family sedan they are infreior, not as cheap to run or high build quality as Camrys or the other contenders.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what would you expect...its a 3.8L v6 motor built to tow trailers and carry 5 adults...A 4.0L falcon is NO better on econonmy either. Theres also about 10 variations, so obviously differing build quality will come into play somewhere there.

[Updated on: Sun, 09 May 2004 08:43]

lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they have their uses
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I like cars to have cool stuff in the way of technology. A pushrod engine and a suspension combination very similar to my 20yo Celica XX doesn't really float my boat though.

If I had to choose either of the "big two" I'd pick a Falcon anyday, but given the choice out of others as well, I'd pick neither. Smile
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its not so much the car i hate in general its the fact a lot of people carry on about them too much i have driven about 10 Commodores now and just can't see what the big deal is Confused 6-cyl V6 and V8, this is my opinion of the Holden Commodore is that it is one of the most overated cars on the road today and after seeing how alot of people drive these cars i would never consider owning one, i have a soft spot for the VL though but it's rather sad knowing that these are one of the most thrashed bogan mobiles getting about Crying or Very Sad they can make a good family car if looked after but nothing compared to a Camry although if i had a family and wanted to tow something you just can't go past the might 6 cyl Falcon it is by far the best tower of all family cars (my opinion) but unfortantly can be hard on fuel at times, out of the family cars I'd pick a Camry first then a Falcon, but yeah thats what i hate about Commodores, they are nothing more than a family car GET OVER IT!
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Commonwhores, they suck. Every yobo with a dog owns 1.
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I'm a mechanic and I would have to say I love Commonwhores as if there were no Commonwhores I would be out of work ! Laughing Laughing
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wheres the third choice?

i'm not complaining if its a company car that is all paid for by the company Evil or Very Mad
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

not complaining if its a company car thats is all paid for by the company[ vote(s) ]

here you go

DiZ_
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hate em.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a commonwhore - I am a Holden boy from way back. I do not find them exciting, mine is a reasonable family hack with aircon that works. The Corolla is my daily choice.

Modern family cars like Commodes and such are generic, dead boring and lifeless tin cans, even if they're reasonably quick - it takes something special to catch my attention.

I do like the deal that you get a 5.7 litre when you buy a V8 Holden.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive not driven lots of commodores.. but you can easily compare a 84 holden to a 74 anything japanese.. and all the way up the scales they are well behind
Ive driven a vk, vl, vx? SS v8 with mods.. and they all seemed pretty useless. handled like crap.. v8 had power.. but was damn heavy and u can feel it.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you driven, or been driven around in an r8 300kw LS1?

They run a stock 13.4/5 1/4 mile without anything at all done to them....
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i could think of better places to put my money though..
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Family car. I voted "No" as I think the question is more "do you think the commodore is a good sports car".

If you're asking if it's a good all around car I would say depends.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh - commodores just aren't my thing so I'll say no. It's not that they are shocking cars (although some are) I'm just not a big 'cubes' fan nor am I a fan of their ecotec engines. The V8s are okay but need alot of development if holden want to stick around much longer.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 21:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
makes a fine daily driver for me. comfy and good on fuel.

as a sportscar, how can you compare it - its a family ocean liner fellas.
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 21:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i drive a commodore as a daily, and a celica as weekender. do like commodores? not really.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 21:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not a commodore fan, But I am a holden Ute fan.
I agree with the commodore being a good family/fleet/general runabout car but there is only so much worth doing to them before it's a waste of time or everyone else has done it. I prefer my cars a little rarer. ie maybe see one a day or less, not one at every set of traffic lights.

I managed to land one of my dream cars as a company car, and I'd really rather be seen driving a 1G Celica. The Ute (althou it has buckets of power) just doesn't do it for me like I thourght it would.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Sun, 09 May 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I chose yes, simply because the 'no' option was even more broad-stroke!

I think a well-done VH Commodore actually looks fantastic, but really don't like the look of the VB/VC models. I think that VL's are a fantastic car, although I must say the steering is the worst part.

VN's and VP's are, if you can find one that has been serviced okay then they are quite a good daily driver.

VR's somehow seem to have deteriorated to a similar level as much-older VN's, but again if you find a good one they do the task quite well.

VS Commodores look fantastic with a nice set of 17's and a substantial lowering.

The earliest VT's are a bit rough on build quality so I'd leave them alone, but later in the run they were a bit better.

VX's are quite good, but the lines on the VY are somehow starting to become a bit angular for me.

I don't think you can look past the fact that there is a spectacular aftermarket (massive brake upgrades available off-the-shelf, and workshop can service it, any parts shop can get bits) and huge following.

I'd buy a V6 Commodore over a Celica any day - but I don't think I'd modify either! We are bound to get skewed results given the forum that this is posted on. A Puss bucket? Come on, kiddies Laughing

Anyone who thinks that the HSV GTO isn't a nice machine is either lying or needs their head read... and anyone who doesn't identify with the value/performance potential of a VL turbo is also similarly affected!

[Updated on: Sun, 09 May 2004 23:59]

Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
vl turbo's arent fast really.. they do a 15.5 stock?.. I love them and think they are a great car.. but if i had 7-8k to spend on one of them id probably get an old celica gt4 instead.. or a silvia
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anyone watch a GTP race lately........... Rolling Eyes
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VL Turbos aren't even twin cam. Come to think of it, are they even intercooled?
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

vl turbo's arent fast really.. they do a 15.5 stock?.. I love them and think they are a great car.. but if i had 7-8k to spend on one of them id probably get an old celica gt4 instead.. or a silvia

Both of which are slower than VL Turbos (particularly the GT4), and considerably more expensive. I like your logic Rolling Eyes

My VL turbo ran 15.08@96mph with no modifications - and an open diff resulting in a 2.55 60ft! An ex-friend of mine had a VL and ran a 1.9 60ft with an LSD, so I would expect that with an LSD my car would have run mid 14's all day long.

Mine was also a Berlina which is considerably heavier than your average Executive, SL, or BT1. I'd expect that if there was actually a standard base model VL turbo left ( Laughing ) that running mid-low 14's would certainly be no hassle.

Quote:

VL Turbos aren't even twin cam. Come to think of it, are they even intercooled?

They are neither twin cam, nor intercooled (although some idiots insist that the finned intake pipe is an 'intercooler' Rolling Eyes). But, you say it like these are bad things? All this means to me is that, if a car runs 14's standard without an intercoler, then there are particularly large gains to be had if one is fitted!

A car that is intercooler from factory will not get as large a gain as one that is non-intercooled... bang for buck again comes into it!

On a technical level a twin cam head is ideal, however there are a large number of cars running into the 9's with factory cylinder heads, which proves that in this situaton a twin cam head is a bit of a wank more than anything. Yes it would be of benefit, but when the result can be achieved without it then why bother with the difficulty and expense?
Cressida Chick
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a commodore as a family wagon, it shits me to tears sometimes but the aircon works and I can fit all my kids stuff in it, even my stuff to..... as far as personal choice I like to drive a car that is fun to drive ie hubbys car, and I would like to own a cressida grande for all the super options you get with it and being able to change the engine for better power....
I like options!!!!
I voted yes because I do think that there are a few tough looking commodores out there that may even go fast to........ Cool
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holdens are allright, well i don't like the later one's. In my opinoun the Vn was the biggest heap of rubbish holden made ( First ever V6 they made i think). My favourite holden would have to be the wilkinshaw. Now if my memory serve's me correct, That put out 180Kw stock and the Ford did 140Kw stock with the big V8. In the end corolla's win hands down Smile. Btw that 140kw was going by a 1985 model ford with a 86 model holden.
Suspension on them seems like a soap opera, very spongie ( weeee ). Braking was crap as the back didnt have disc brakes. As for the newer models, their just ur average car that goes from A - B. They dont have the famous towing load like the good old landcrusier by any means. But umm yea.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some are pretty cool. My mate owns a two tone color vp statesman which is decked on the floor with 19s and looks awesome, vl turbos are also sexy along with the vt commodore shape. all others just suck but the oldschool commodores rule (vb, vc, vh, vk). I hate vrs, vns, vps, etc.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vl turbos are like lighning if worked properly. Simply with a T04 turbo, 2.5" crush bent exhaust an 14psi my dad ran in the 13's in the early 90's with a pissant little intercooler added.
They have one of the strongest bottom ends going around, not much at all in the way of 6's was stronger in their day other than the 7m toyota and maybe a couple of others...
IF they're not a good engine, i wonder why there's so many still going round in VL dragsters? www.fullboost.com.au has a few

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 07:40]

mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 09:58

I chose yes, simply because the 'no' option was even more broad-stroke!

I think a well-done VH Commodore actually looks fantastic, but really don't like the look of the VB/VC models. I think that VL's are a fantastic car, although I must say the steering is the worst part.

VN's and VP's are, if you can find one that has been serviced okay then they are quite a good daily driver.

VR's somehow seem to have deteriorated to a similar level as much-older VN's, but again if you find a good one they do the task quite well.

VS Commodores look fantastic with a nice set of 17's and a substantial lowering.

The earliest VT's are a bit rough on build quality so I'd leave them alone, but later in the run they were a bit better.

VX's are quite good, but the lines on the VY are somehow starting to become a bit angular for me.

I don't think you can look past the fact that there is a spectacular aftermarket (massive brake upgrades available off-the-shelf, and workshop can service it, any parts shop can get bits) and huge following.

I'd buy a V6 Commodore over a Celica any day - but I don't think I'd modify either! We are bound to get skewed results given the forum that this is posted on. A Puss bucket? Come on, kiddies Laughing

Anyone who thinks that the HSV GTO isn't a nice machine is either lying or needs their head read... and anyone who doesn't identify with the value/performance potential of a VL turbo is also similarly affected!

in my opinion the majority of Commodores getting about are puss buckets due to fact alot of people with them flog the guts clean out of them you are intiteled to your opinion i'll respect that but you have to admit they are an over rated car there is much quicker then a old flogged VL turbo oh and saying that you'd perfer a V6 Commodore to a Celica Laughing you might get more power from a Commodore but f*%k if its as reliable and handle as well as a Celica I'd rather have a car thats reliable then one thats gunna cost I know for fact as just about every one i know with a Commodore always tells me about problems I will admit though a VN V6 with a manual is quick but with an auto there slow and also is it just me or does the back of the current VY looks like a Magna don't take offence but there some of my many reasons
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 21:23

have you driven, or been driven around in an r8 300kw LS1?

They run a stock 13.4/5 1/4 mile without anything at all done to them....

HSV don't make a 300kW Clubsport R8...that engine is reserved for the GTS. Nor is it very similar to the base model LS1's, they did a lot of things to get a reliable 300kW and sent it away to Callaway for a hand.

As for Silvia's, I'd still much rather one over a VL...they would be able the same speed stock, but the VL handles like a boat...and the interior...dear GOD the interior No No No Straight line speed is far from everything.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes and strange thing is what powers the 6cyl VL turbo its not a bloody holden motor is it? quater mile times mean s*%t it only proves the cars acceleration Shocked Wow!!! my Commodore can do a 10 sec quater!! Congratulations whats it like around corners at high speeds? cars were not designed to go in a constant straight line they also turn. but if I wanted a fast car give me a WRX over any V8 Commodore SS I don't know much about modern day Supra's but sure they'd flog a Commodore SS by a bit as well can some please give me some info on the modern day Supra's performance? I have driven an V8 VS Commodore SS it had power but I know for fact theres a lot quicker (even newer ones)
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i voted yes, because there are few commodores that i would like to own (not buy). These would be the Brock VL SS group A, Brock VK group XX something (the ones in that nice electric blue kind of colour) a Walkinshaw, VN SS group A, and a new black SS ute with really dark tinted windows.
I reckon these commonwhore look tuff on the road, turn a lot of heads, and i'd want them all to have a bloody deep V8 rumble and roar!
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In logical terms really, Nissan Copied Holden. Both the 200sx and all those cars arent far of the VL moter. Only bonus the nissan had was a Twin turbo. From what i've been told a 6 cyclinder Vl running this Twin turbo at 15Kpa does 300kw +. Now that put's a mark in history. Not many Twin turbo's tho.
Btw tommo i dont think there is a such thing as a Brock VL. Wilkinshaw for memory was the HSV so it's not a brock Sad.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
checks202 wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 17:08

In logical terms really, Nissan Copied Holden. Both the 200sx and all those cars arent far of the VL moter. Only bonus the nissan had was a Twin turbo. From what i've been told a 6 cyclinder Vl running this Twin turbo at 15Kpa does 300kw +. Now that put's a mark in history. Not many Twin turbo's tho.
Btw tommo i dont think there is a such thing as a Brock VL. Wilkinshaw for memory was the HSV so it's not a brock Sad.

Dude, where did this dribble come from? Nissan didn't copy shit. The VL motor IS a Nissan engine...an RB30E and RB30ET to be precise. The bonus wasn't twin-turbo, the bonus was the fact the equivalent engines from the Nissan stable based on the series, the RB20, RB25 and RB26 had twin-cams and a bit of technology to boot. Without custom exhaust manifolds, there is no way a twin-turbo RB26 setup is going to fit an RB30...methinks you should do a little googling as opposed to regurgitating the bullshit people tend to be feeding you.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 19:19

checks202 wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 17:08

Dude, where did this dribble come from? Nissan didn't copy shit. The VL motor IS a Nissan engine...an RB30E and RB30ET to be precise. The bonus wasn't twin-turbo, the bonus was the fact the equivalent engines from the Nissan stable based on the series, the RB20, RB25 and RB26 had twin-cams and a bit of technology to boot. Without custom exhaust manifolds, there is no way a twin-turbo RB26 setup is going to fit an RB30...methinks you should do a little googling as opposed to regurgitating the bullshit people tend to be feeding you.

i'd say the twin turbo VL was running either a RB26 or a RB30DETT(a hyrbid of the rb30 and rb26 which involves mucho f-ing around)

anyways, the only commodores i like are the SS utes(i like the look of them Embarassed)
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 17:23

i'd say the twin turbo VL was running either a RB26 or a RB30DETT(a hyrbid of the rb30 and rb26 which involves mucho f-ing around)

anyways, the only commodores i like are the SS utes(i like the look of them Embarassed)

This I know, but a 3l RB26 isn't the easiest thing in the world to do, and it's not the same as putting the turbos on an RB30.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i like them, BFYB is ok, my VKJ did mid 16's, was cushy, cornered ok {better than the rona}, had all the comforts, like velour ect and drifted with the best of them in the rain.

show me a car with a 1UZ/3UZ blocked car that pulls 1600RWHP, or anything else V8 and road leagl
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 18:00

in my opinion the majority of Commodores getting about are puss buckets due to fact alot of people with them flog the guts clean out of them you are intiteled to your opinion i'll respect that but you have to admit they are an [U

over rated car [/U] there is much quicker then a old flogged VL turbo oh and saying that you'd perfer a V6 Commodore to a Celica Laughing you might get more power from a Commodore but f*%k if its as reliable and handle as well as a Celica I'd rather have a car thats reliable then one thats gunna cost I know for fact as just about every one i know with a Commodore always tells me about problems I will admit though a VN V6 with a manual is quick but with an auto there slow and also is it just me or does the back of the current VY looks like a Magna don't take offence but there some of my many reasons

Over rated! By this thread I think not! By the standards of the Australian motorist, they are a good thing and this is why they were the number one seller fo 60 months straight. Are they inept around a race track? Hmm production racing results would beg to differ, where they have served it up to all manner of Japanese exotica (whether or not it is fair doesn't matter - they're winning).

The idea that you think that they are overrated probably means that you are yet to come to terms with the idea that people actually like to look at HSV's etc.

And I thought that I came here to read about things Toyota. Rolling Eyes
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
checks202 wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 19:08

There most certainly is a brock vl, and vk.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
absolutely there was a brock VL - capable of 14.9's apparently (I never drove one to that 1/4mi)
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive alwayd been a holden man, but i have to say i like the new ba falcoons..espec the bright green! The lancer looking headlights on the vy turned me off...
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 19:33

ive alwayd been a holden man, but i have to say i like the new ba falcoons..espec the bright green! The lancer looking headlights on the vy turned me off...

the verada looking arse on the VY really turned me off
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops i meant taillights Razz
nicked
Regular

I supported Toymods

September 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is directed to all saying no commodore has ever taken a corner.
I'm a holden man, but i don't pretend a commode is a lotus elise. But in their defense, there was an article a few years back, printed in Wheels, and also Car, comparing the HSV GTS with the then current M5 and E55...
They took them all to the original Nurburgring and got Olofs Andersson (sp?) who was then the Nissan development driver at the 'Ring (he also drove GTRs at Bathurst) to hammer them round it. From memory he rated the GTS comfortably quicker than either of the others (like 10-15 seconds or so) - round the track every european car maker tests their finest.

note: this doesnt mean i think a VN on 19s with cut springs is good. Very Happy
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 19:26

in my opinion the majority of Commodores getting about are puss buckets due to fact alot of people with them flog the guts clean out of them you are intiteled to your opinion i'll respect that but you have to admit they are an [U

over rated car [/U] there is much quicker then a old flogged VL turbo oh and saying that you'd perfer a V6 Commodore to a Celica Laughing you might get more power from a Commodore but f*%k if its as reliable and handle as well as a Celica I'd rather have a car thats reliable then one thats gunna cost I know for fact as just about every one i know with a Commodore always tells me about problems I will admit though a VN V6 with a manual is quick but with an auto there slow and also is it just me or does the back of the current VY looks like a Magna don't take offence but there some of my many reasons

Over rated! By this thread I think not! By the standards of the Australian motorist, they are a good thing and this is why they were the number one seller fo 60 months straight. Are they inept around a race track? Hmm production racing results would beg to differ, where they have served it up to all manner of Japanese exotica (whether or not it is fair doesn't matter - they're winning).

The idea that you think that they are overrated probably means that you are yet to come to terms with the idea that people actually like to look at HSV's etc.

sence when did i say about the looks of HSV's? now that you mention it there plain looking too as well a big fuel guzzler I don't really care if someone likes the looks of HSV it's what you like but after driving them hearing everyone say how lovely there performance are I have to laugh when i see a little jap 4-cyl flog them and for anyone stating about corners a small turbo 4-cyl with out handle any V8 commodore because of the size and weight oh yes I have seen commodores take corners hard many times esecally when the driver loses it the way some people carry on is like there Ferrari's or something
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Mon, 10 May 2004 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i said id take a celica or silvia its not because they are faster in a straight line
the level of build, interior, exterior etc is heaps better on both. the engines are both awesome.. they corner a HELL of alot better than a vlt too
Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
checks202 said -

Btw tommo i dont think there is a such thing as a Brock VL. Wilkinshaw for memory was the HSV so it's not a brock .

Please, dont ever say that again.. maybe i'd believe you if we were talking about honda's, but i know a little bit about holdens ok.

Here's some info on one of the many brock VL's that you thought never existed (the VL was the last commy from HDT before holden kicked peter brock out for messing around with special crystals know as the "energy polarizer") drugs are bad.. - http://www.brock05.com/leadfree.php

and its walkinshaw (as in thomas walkinshaw, an english bloke) not wilkinshaw - http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0053/article.html?p opularArticle

Tom

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2004 05:52]

Tommo
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
checks202 said -

6 cyclinder Vl running this Twin turbo at 15Kpa does 300kw +

i had a little laugh over this aswell.. 15kpa is not a lot of boost at all. i dunno how to convert it but isnt it around 1psi or some other ridiculously low figure?? hardly makes any turbo set up seem worthwhile. Im guessing you meant "psi"

I dont mean to make fun and i dont wanna be harsh, but when your last post was just filled with false information then you are obviously taking the piss or just really really gullable... lets hope you were just trying to make fun.
Caledwvech
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, I like some commodores. Although they are not strictly commodores, the GTS Monoaro's are beautiful cars.
Billy-Mason PI
Regular

July 2003
Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's not so much the car that i don't like as I don't mind the VY, it more the drivers. :-

I know there is a lot of commodores on the road, but it appears that a high percentage of the drivers are wankers. Shocked

Just because you drive a commodore doesnt mean that the road is a friggin racetrack and you can tailgate everybody! Rolling Eyes

I still voted no because most of the commodore models released were crap Rolling

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Our family has been through a vh, vl turbo, vl na, 2 x vn v8s, vp, vr, and vs commodores. We didnt have a problem with any of them. Only a rooted a/c pump on the vp.

we had an eb fairmont..auto shit itself once, and almost twice
We now have an ef fairmont ghia..is a great car with not one problem with 200ks on the clock.

one might say it may be the drivers who turn them into "shit cars"

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2004 07:56]

Camry_omega
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 19:26

I thought that the R32 GTR skyline driven by Jim Richards and Mark Skaife won both the 1991 and 1992 Bathurst races and dominated most of the series and that after 1992 rules were changed which stoped such cars from entering.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I believe he's talking about the current GTP racing where the HSV GTS's are taking it to the WRX STi's and Lancer EVO's.
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Look, dont ask me what drugs i was on ( dont do them but just expression) but heck it really did some damage. Im sorry where i stuffed up. Can i just somewhat take that riddiculas post back as i was totaly wrong.
For the VL brock all i know ( not some bs some w#nk#r told me), Is that there was 3 to 4 versions on the Wilkinshaw. Having the only options as a Sunroof and some other mod.
Working of a standard ( average ) VL that put's out 130Kw ( guess ). I can kinda gather that 300Kw was mear fatal fatality LOL. Im laughing myself. Idk what turbo i was on about but i dont think the VL turbo has a ajustable boost.
I thought the 350zx had a twin turbo but im wrong. Heck i feel like the biggest id*t. next time i'll just have to write the word nOOb on my head.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
checks202 wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 18:43

next time i'll just have to write the word nOOb on my head.

yep
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: who likes Commodores ? Tue, 11 May 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Billy-Mason PI wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 17:13

It's not so much the car that i don't like as I don't mind the VY, it more the drivers. :-

I know there is a lot of commodores on the road, but it appears that a high percentage of the drivers are wankers. Shocked

Just because you drive a commodore doesnt mean that the road is a friggin racetrack and you can tailgate everybody! Rolling Eyes

I still voted no because most of the commodore models released were crap Rolling

Dam straight I'll I have to say to alot of Commodore drivers is "take it home your mum needs it for shopping" Very Happy
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help with Codecs.
Next Topic:Cool page just found
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 10:32:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0091230869293213 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.