Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
funkdoc
Regular

February 2003
AE86 20v intake Sat, 08 May 2004 18:39 Go to next message
Anyone got good ideas for plenum for B/T 20v in a Ae86. i'm not going open trumpets or socks for longevity reasons. Its currently got a Aluminium plenum one but the shape is shithouse...plus it touches the master cylinder sometimes...

I also want to know what is the ideal Volume + Shape i should be chasing for... there are already 4 alum trumpets inside the current plenum plus the engine has increased compression, cams and head work so i'm thinkin should the volume be larger than stock? What is the stock volume anyway? As for the filter, i've got a BMC carbon barrel thing with cold air ducted to it. i'm thinkin of going carbon for the plenum but its kinda expensive...

Any photos would be great...!
  Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 20v intake Sat, 08 May 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, because you already have multi throttles and trumpets, really speaking just make the biggest damn thing you can fit neatly in there, and force feed it filtered cold air. Go to a scrap metal place, I know the one down the road from me always has largish sheets of nice shiny stainless for a few dollars, bring it home, do some drawing, then go visit a workshop with a sheetmetal folder and you should be able to come up with a nice big shiny plenum without too much work. You'll probably also want to tig the join/pipe, done well it could look fine though. You could also use aluminium if you choose.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 20v intake Sat, 08 May 2004 23:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's wrong with socks?
They work fine if you keep them clean.
funkdoc
Regular

February 2003
Re: AE86 20v intake Sun, 09 May 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well..socks would be the easiest way to go but doesnt NA engines perfer colder air over more volume...? i can see how 4 socks would have a larger surface area for the air to be sucked in compared to my current BMC CDA, but its kinda hard to direct cold air to that area... if i did go socks i'd have to make up heat shield to block the hot air... I'm really struggling... there's this nice set of individual K&N filters that bolts straight up to the throttles but i'm kinda worried about the performance advantages too... Which one u recon would make more power....?
funkdoc
Regular

February 2003
Re: AE86 20v intake Sun, 09 May 2004 14:06 Go to previous message
mrshin wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 08:57

Well, because you already have multi throttles and trumpets, really speaking just make the biggest damn thing you can fit neatly in there, and force feed it filtered cold air. .

So.. the way to make the most effective plenum is to make it as big as possible... i thought so... it does make sence huh....!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How Difficult to change shocks and springs? (MA61)
Next Topic:ae82 twincam performance chip?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 23:09:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049090385437012 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.