Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » White faced dials...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
White faced dials... Fri, 30 April 2004 07:17 Go to next message
Ok, another project that have up my sleeve Very Happy

I was sitting there thinking about how to implement it, and decided that to have the light shine out and light the "numbers" up, you would need to use a transparent material and print white onto it (plan was blue lights behind, hence blue numbers Smile)....now I've never thought about printing white before, but you can't with a normal inkjet printer or laser printers Crying or Very Sad

Who / what can print white? Photo stores?

Anyone else have any comments / experiences with trying to manufacture white faced dials?

Cheers
Wilbo

Send a private message to this user    
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: White faced dials... Fri, 30 April 2004 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe u can just use a white peice of paper..u know the sticker paper or watever u wanna use..and make a outline of what u want with like black then print it out and cut it to shape etc
good luck
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: White faced dials... Sat, 01 May 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Urgh the difficulty in cutting out numerous numbers and lines (for a somewhat sporty/complex design) seems a bit over the top Confused

Thanks for the input tho Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: White faced dials... Mon, 03 May 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude white paper is transparent enought... get a blue light and shine it on the back, you'll see

just print the black areas and voila! the numbers are white Shocked ..
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: White faced dials... Mon, 03 May 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what midnight said, just make sure you use a good quality printer that can do a real black, ie a decent laser or something, and maybe paint over some areas after to get good masking
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: White faced dials... Tue, 04 May 2004 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I want (ideally looks like its too hard to make happen) the numbers to shine blue...

Your system will make the numbers black, so when back lit the whole face will lite up (and the numbers remain dark) as I see it?

Cheers
Wilbo
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: White faced dials... Tue, 04 May 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you've got white faces with clear numbers/lettering, how are you going to see them during the day with the lights off or even with them on for that matter?
Unless the numbers were blue semi-transparent, then the lights could be normal/white & you'd still get the effect, plus they'd be visible blue in daylight. Dunno how the hell you'd do that though!
midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: White faced dials... Tue, 04 May 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ill explain it again...

make ur white numbered dials on the computer.

print onto white paper...
the numbers are white..
the rest is black.

now guess what happens if u shine blue light on the back?!
the blue lights up the white...

if you want all white faced dials you then put another white sheet over the top with outlines of the numbers,

then your facia is white and the black layer below blocks out the blue light in all areas apart from the numbers

[Updated on: Tue, 04 May 2004 14:18]

checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: White faced dials... Tue, 04 May 2004 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or do what i did, i got it done with my corolla. Don't ask how much, i think $90 ( Saves time and effort ). Smile

EDIT

Got some restoring dash mob to do it, havent seen it but about to Very Happy

[Updated on: Tue, 04 May 2004 14:28]

gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: White faced dials... Tue, 04 May 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only way to do it properly is to get the dials screen printed on.

This will last forever too, as any paper will perish in the car over the years, as will things like overhead projector transperencies and the like.

Not that expensive too. Under a hundred bucks if you know where to go.

Any image/images can be screen printed from a regular jpeg file onto individual dials or onto an instrument cluster. This is how I did mine, can provide pictures if needed.

[Updated on: Tue, 04 May 2004 15:31]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: White faced dials... Wed, 05 May 2004 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigWorm wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 17:21

If you've got white faces with clear numbers/lettering, how are you going to see them during the day with the lights off or even with them on for that matter?
Unless the numbers were blue semi-transparent, then the lights could be normal/white & you'd still get the effect, plus they'd be visible blue in daylight. Dunno how the hell you'd do that though!

Indeed, I was thinking of printing the "white" onto some blue tinted material....but like you I'm not sure how the hell it would work!

Might have to get some free time Confused so I can play around with it.

Cheers
Wilob
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: White faced dials... Wed, 05 May 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey gabe, thats exactly what I was thinking, talk to a screen printer!

pics would be awesome Very Happy

Cheers
Wilbo
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: White faced dials... Wed, 05 May 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeap they could do it to, im getting it tommorow so i can post some pics or try Smile, thats if its any help or give's some idea.

I basicaly got the olld pointy plastic taken out and replaced with some flat plastic. Left the lights as is. Made the writing and everything in blue, left the needles orange and made the background white.
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: White faced dials... Wed, 05 May 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok fellas I will get pics up asap but it wont be until next week. No digicam access till then.

Watch this space........
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: White faced dials... Thu, 06 May 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh I originally did mine on the scanner,and they came up ok,,,
eventually I got a whole set of VDO white face dials,280km speedo,taco,volts,oil,fuel,it all looks factory as they fit perfectly....the speedo is electronic so I have a sick little digital readout with options on distance travelled,time for servicing etc...all up it was about $700 for the lot...also as they are rear lit I was able to get blue globes,and now they go exactly the same colour as my car of a night....which is a 73 celica...anyway check them out if you want a permanent solution...
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: White faced dials... Thu, 06 May 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$700 is almost the worth of the car Laughing I don't think I'm after that sort of solution Razz

They would prbly look very nice tho Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: White faced dials... Thu, 06 May 2004 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats cool mate good luck...
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: White faced dials... Mon, 10 May 2004 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K, i got mine back. Got it done. Looks good and all but he filled all the o's. Owell it still looks good. Here is a pic of speedo. My idea was to have a go myself by editing this picture. And to colour it so looks cool then stick it on some cardboard. No need for printing white and i think it would look ok.
If you want a pic of the white idlas just pm me Smile.
$700 seems alot!, i paid that to get woodgrain aswell. Anyways yea.

EDIT forget to upload pic's http://members.optusnet.com.au/shadow0050/speed.jpg

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 03:59]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: White faced dials... Tue, 11 May 2004 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That dial is a different design to mine (yours doesn't have any transparent sections...my numbers get lit up from behind, where as I'm pretty sure in you case they will be front lit...

Cheers
Wilbo
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: White faced dials... Tue, 11 May 2004 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry about that, which dials do you have ? I got given a few globe cover's which are blue and mine's lite up from the behind.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: White faced dials... Wed, 12 May 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could have sworn that looks the same as a ra28 etc sort of design (think its ra28..anyway), which I really thought were front lit...... Confused do you have a pic of them back lit and lit up?

Cheers
Wilbo
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: White faced dials... Wed, 12 May 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont have camera, that was scanned. Thats a KE38 dial. I know i have a digital camera somewhere in the house so i'll have a look.
It looks great all lit up.
EDIT
K, i got of my but and tryed something. Didnt find the camera so i used the scanner. This time ina differnt way lol. It's a bit dark but you can see how it looks. Can't really light it up but hope this give's some sorta idea. Btw the white is where the woodgrain shine's

K, just a warning, aint 56k happy really lol. 600Kb total
http://members.optusnet.com.au/shadow0050/dial.jpg
http://members.optusnet.com.au/shadow0050/woodgrai n.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 12 May 2004 03:58]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: White faced dials... Thu, 13 May 2004 06:58 Go to previous message
I stand corrected! Smile It does appear that yours are back lit.

Nice work.

Cheers
Wilbo
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what to get???
Next Topic:TRD Font
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 13:19:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076022148132324 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar