Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » need help!!!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 03:58 Go to next message
hey dudes,
Ive encounterd a problem which im not sure if its serious or not. Driving my excel home last night and the thing started to cut out very seriously followed by some ugly tapping noises then heaps of smoke and ending with some metal flying out of the exhaust. I woke up this morning and turned the car on and to my suprise it was normal again just with that ugly tapping noise. Also last night when i got home i had a quick look under the car to find the exhaust thingy under the car glowing red. Whats going on?????

P.s Theres oil in the car
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's an exhaust thingy? You mean the cat?
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe it was your engine that flew out the exhaust Laughing

I've got no idea sorry but i'm sure someone will help ya very shortly. The cat converter (i'm assuming?) glowing red doesn't sound too crash hot though! possibly the cat broke down and was restricting airflow (made it get hot) and then shot the baffles out the back? I had that happen in my old laser

did you happen to check the temp gauge? could have even done a head gasket

then theres the ticking noise... a head gasket can cause the car to misfire when water gets into the cylinder

Dan

SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh dude that and the thing behind it. There were 2 parts glowing red the first was the cat and the 2nd was the one behind it.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 04:08]

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm

I think that your problem is that it's an excel.... Very Happy

j/k dude

that is wild. I wonder what it was?

boy I am no help at all ay
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 04:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
head gasket looks fine....... (oil is still normal color). the car starts to f**k around when it gets a bit warm. i just turned it on and 2 my suprise it sounds normal again but damn there is a lot of smoke coming out of my exhasut which smells like fuel and oil and there is no oil in it what so ever but yesterday there was!

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 04:15]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first thing. pull out the cat and the first muffler, check if they are blocked.

AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar problem with my R32.... It ended up being the biscuits in the cat coming loose and wedging themselves blocking the exhaust flow. It may have been bits of the cat biscuits (Whiska's haha) coming out yo' zorst man..... How did you see it come out when you were driving anyway?????
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i seen it through my rear view it was at night and easy to see
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
still could be the head gasket i'm guessing, oil could be getting into the cylinders and getting burnt. If there was something stuck in the cat it could have heated the engine up enough to do it. Did the temp gauge go up when it happened?

is it a blue/dark or a white smoke?

Dan
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
temp. was normal when it happened. smoke is dark blue color
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any 1 with any suggestions? should i just sell and cut my loses as is. Sad damn friggin cars
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres a suggestion...

get a screwdriver, gaffa tape it to your ear, and lean in the engine bay Wink

but seriously tho... get a big screwdriver, put the tip at the base of each injector, and put your ear to the handle..
check that each of them is ticking the same...

if you had an injector fail or stick open, it would inject heaps of fuel, causing dark smoke (fuel/carbon smoke), causing that cylinder to miss badly (loss of power) and would cause the cat to heat up very quickly (since heaps of fuel + air from the non-burning cylinder) and could cause the cat internals to break down/melt/clog/etc, and is often a cause of cats to glow to red hot....

just being clogged shouldn't make them that hot, except if it was a turboed car with high exhaust flow/heat, but catalytically burning a shiteload of fuel in the cat will definitely do that Smile... Sad

anyhoo, even so, your cat is probably shagged.. they don't like being THAT hot.

let us know how you go with the injectors
Cya, Stewart

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 06:18]

CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leaded fuel in an unleaded car is a quick and easy way to stuff a Cat Converter, have you made a mistake while refueling recently?
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i filled it with unleaded im 100% sure. Injectors all sound the same.......... i turned the car on and after about 10secs the car stopped smoking and ticking. But there is absolutely not a drop of oil on the stick and i just filled the motherf**ker yesterday.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if its not leaking oil then it is obviously going into the combustion chamber, either past the piston rings or via the headgasket which is what it sounds like to me. but thats only the start of your problems. theres no way around it, your up for a visit to a mechanic.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhhhhhhhh f**k!!!!!! just what i needed Sad
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well a little update......... fixed the problem kinda........ i threw the prick in the tradingpost. hopefully someone will take it Sad poor poor excel.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good call, ditch the excel
indian
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message

HEAD GASKET or PISTON RINGS
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: need help!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate thats the best solution, pass the problem off to someone else haha.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah its okay for me, wouldn't touch a hyundai with a long long long pole, i have an infinity to hate them for some reason. not sure if its founded or not.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there ok cars for daily chores. I called Lube Mobile and they quoted me a bullshit $890 to change a headgasket.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SetMeFree wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 20:53

there ok cars for daily chores. I called Lube Mobile and they quoted me a bullshit $890 to change a headgasket.

fark Shocked thats not good mate
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know Sad and i really really need a car but 2 broke 2 fix this one...... so its up 4 sale as is and hopefully ill get enough money for it to buy some shit box with a bit of rego.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: need help!!!!! Wed, 12 May 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate that price isnt that bad when you consider the costs before the mechanic starts making profit. VRS kit, head service and machining etc... but back on subject - hyundai's are shit. the sonata im driving chewed the crap outta the power window motor so the window is stuck down, had to jam a piece of wood in their to keep the window closed hahahaha. oh yeah and i got better fuel economy outta my boosted gze what a crap box.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Wed, 12 May 2004 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i had some one better look at it and they found the problems. Coil is fucked..... headgasket is gone..... he quoted me a cute $350 to fix incl new coil.

P.s: family friend thats why its so cheap!

P.s.s: car is still 4 sale though.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Wed, 12 May 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn it and the computer is farked Crying or Very Sad
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Wed, 12 May 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Moral or the story: don't by a hyundai!!!
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Thu, 13 May 2004 06:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DunkyMonkey wrote on Wed, 12 May 2004 23:45

Moral or the story: don't by a hyundai!!!

Laughing A mate of mine brought a Hyundai brand new and has gone through 2 gearboxes in 3 years!!!!
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Thu, 13 May 2004 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mate bought a new getz, its nearly dead in a year, i'm sure hes not serious when he said that hes goin to do it up!!!!
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: need help!!!!! Sun, 16 May 2004 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 be honest this is the first problem ive had since ive owned it and my previous excel never gave me a problem. yeh there gay cars yes there ugly but damn there reliable and damn there cheap to run.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Sun, 16 May 2004 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so was my last corolla, i now have a celica Very Happy
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 17 May 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my mates Hyundai wouldn't be a bad car if he'd look after it
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 17 May 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm sure if my mate didn't trash his GETZ then it would be okay, then again where would the fun be in that??? ~why you would even bother trashing a getz is beyond me~
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 17 May 2004 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was rather surprised by the Accent's performance off the mark not earth shattering but better then what I thought it would be as for the Getz do they actually go?
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 17 May 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah not too fast tho, altho i have never really seen it got, it chased me in my old rolla once, 1980 KE50 1.3, it was a fair match up, i couldn't get back in to a car with such a small engine now tho.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 17 May 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Camry would have more top speed then me mates Accent though (like every hyundai I have driven)reckon wouldn't be a bad car though for a getting around but can't see myself ever owning one. I suppose its what you like but
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: need help!!!!! Mon, 17 May 2004 10:24 Go to previous message
i like my celica, and i will like that supra too.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2TGEU wiring diagram?
Next Topic:ae92 /ae95 headlights
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 09:28:23 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.13970398902893 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.