Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Doug_
Newcomer

May 2004
Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 07:52 Go to next message
Hi all,

I've been wanting to change my oil for a long time, it's probably about 12,000k overdue infact.. oops. but the thing is, the oil filter wont budge at all. I've previously tried a few removal tools from auto shops but none are small enough to grip the filter. I've called toyota and they say they only have them in the service shop and wont sell me one.
Any ideas where I should go to get one?
its to suit a Toyota 4A-FE engine.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Doug
  Send a private message to this user    
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 07:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the best one for that sized filter is the two sided remover, you can get it from auto one or repco. or if your a tightass, just stick a screw driver thru it and turn it off.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Doug,

A mate of mine bought a Toyota one for the 4A/3S etc (I think 4AFE is the same?) and I thought he said he got it from Toyota.. It might pay to try calling around a few different places to see if you get different answers..

Peter Warren at Warwick Farm have always been fairly helpful to me, although the best bloke there moved over to Penrith Toyota a little while back, so it might pay to try either of those.. Good luck - I've been meaning to get one of these myself.. Access is very tight to get at mine.

btw - Is this the same Doug that used to frequent these forums a couple of years ago? (White 4AFE AE92)?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its called a screwdriver. Punch it through the filter and start turning.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a Toyota SST which i use after spraying oil all over my engine bay when i did the screwdriver trick. I decided that paying the $25 for the SST is far better than cleaning it up every time.
Doug_
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, same Doug..
how's it going Paul?

I havent really touched the car in a long time and my girlfriend has been pushing me to change her cars oil as well, which is a SX Seca, so it would just be better to get them both out of the way at once.

Screwdriver idea might work, just would rather do it without the possibility of excess oil splattering all over the place.
I have only tried the one Toyota parts shop sofar, so I may give others a go tomorrow.
Last time I was at repco they had nothing that small, but I'll keep them in mind too.

Thanks,

Doug
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it in a place suitable only for a proctologiest, like my 1jz one?
If not, and it's as small as you say, a big set of multi-grips might be sufficient.
edit: or a nice fat wrench

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:00]

Doug_
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, its in the most logical place possible.. right next to the exhaust manifold, and best accessed underneath, so I'm not really that tempted to go at it with a screwdriver just yet.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 17:58

Its called a screwdriver. Punch it through the filter and start turning.

damn you
when i saw the name for this thread my first thought was to reply with something similar
once again cool1, DAMN You

failing that
depending on how good a grip you have, i've seen people just twist them off, but the guy was a tank, he could pick me up and turn me upside down with ease(i weight around 100kg's)

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 09:09]

Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 19:00

is it in a place suitable only for a proctologiest, like my 1jz one?

I'd dare suggest that your 1J oil filter is probably easier to get to.. I know the 4AGE one is a bitch to do although I'm not sure if the FE has it in the same spot or not..

Imagine the space in a FWD Corolla engine bay, then imagine the smaller space between the exhaust manifold and the engine. Add a dizzy, alternator and starter motor all around the damn thing and you start to get the idea..

Doug - Good to see you back dude.. You'll have to start coming out to some events some time!
Spanktown
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is this tool simple titled "oil filter removal tool" that i bought for 25 dollars at autoone. I tried endlessly to remove my mr2 oil filter, its in a HARD spot to get at let alone use any tools in there. One tool i bought snaped it was on so tight......... anyhow, it looks like a metal claw and goes on the end of your sock wrench. worked a treat.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stock ma61 oil filters are fun to get to :/
stupid exhaust manifold gets in the way of my arm(and thus ouchies follow)
maybe its because i'm big and uncoordinated Razz

one of my mates has a late 80s camry with a 4a-fe(sure it is) and its not that hard to get to, not as hard as i find removing the one on my supra
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went to do oil change on gfs FE - couldn't find the thing for a while Laughing . It's in simar spot to blue top GE but for some reason much more awkward and hard to spot (I thing the manifold hides it more). I took the drivers side plastic sump guard off which made it easier and used the rubber oil filter tool thingo (atleast I think I did). It's good to have one of those things your mum or grand ma use to undo tight jam jars..piece of non slip mat about 10cm by 10cm. They help to loosen (in some cases) and tighten it.

Here is procedure:
Take car round block, jack it up, secure with stand/s...drain oil. Let it sit draining for a good while (Go inside, have a drink with your gf, or whatever tickles your fancy..so car is relatively cool when you get back).
Now attack oil filter with enthusiasm and the above methods..screwdriver as suggested if you get desperate)

Cyber - Camry probably has 3SFE (2.0). 1.6L auto camry..that wouldn't be nice Shocked
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
screwdrievr and an old shirt

cover scredriver and hand with shirt with point or screwdrievr sticking out

when oil spurts out after punching thru itcover with the old shirt

easy enough

Rolling Eyes
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Mon, 10 May 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a bit screwdriver, and hit it at an angle around the top rim of the filter..it will undo trust me and it wont puncture the fiter
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always take mine off with my hand. Always tight, but never on so tight I can't remove it.

You wanna bitch about getting one off, try a GZ20 Soarer, it's under the inlet manifold, wedged against the wishbone tower and surrounded my air-con and PS lines. Needless to say, normal tools don't work Sad
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I suggest screwdriver also... but usually I can get them off with just hands. Surprising since I don't have forearms like Popeye. Razz
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
re-read my first post. get the tool i mentioned. i worked for toyota and have used the sst, the one i described is better and much easier, plus you can use it on other filters. trust me - the 2 sided oil filter remover, its black and fits on a 3/4 ratchet its the BEST!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might i suggest the new and improved

"WST-004: 4AGE oil filter removal tool"

http://www.artofillusion.org/docs/screwdriver/fini shed_screwdriver.jpg
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 08:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can sometimes pull them off bare hands but otherwies the filter wrench comes out. Failing that i have a hole drilled in near the handle of the wrench and a small screw tapped in this will undo anything! and doesnt make mess like a screwdriver will.

Daniel
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not trying to be a smart ass or anything but ummm, If you punch a screwdriver through it to undo it how would you inturn tightin it up?
Im just learning and all, never had to change one but thats the first thing that came to mind.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy a new one stupid Wink
checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You missed my point lol. Lets say u get the old one out. So you chuck that old one in the rubbish bin and thats oghta the way.
You got ur new one, you sit it in and all but how do you tighten up the new one?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i recommend "WST-005: The installer"

http://forums.toymods.org.au/images/custom_avatars/4164

EDIT: thanks for the hand peewee

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:08]

checks202
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2004

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooo ok, please excuse me im thick. All make's sense. Ty
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sarcasm my man... Very Happy
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy we all start somewhere!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, looks like a hand that's had a run in with SST #1...or a ski rope Wink
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.hughesmotorsport.com.au/images/ABW_Logo.jpg make some nice oil fiter tools.

ABW Tools
43 Clinker Street, Darra,
Queensland 4076

Ph: 07 3712-9999
Fax: 07 3712-9987

this type being one of my favourite.
http://collins-industrial.straightsell.net/images/product_images/3/thumbs/abw70805.jpg
Doug_
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heh, this is a longer thread than I was imagining it would be...

Okay, sorted it today.. picked up a bit that fits onto socket wrench with a tape (seatbelt material) loop that you wrap around the filter... then turn to tighten. Worked with very little fuss.

Thanks for your replies..

Doug
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 20:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 19:01

i recommend "WST-005: The installer"

http://forums.toymods.org.au/images/custom_avatars/4164

EDIT: thanks for the hand peewee

BWUHAHAHAHAHHAHA
funny stuff
i love your spealised WST line of products

as a side note, you shouldnt do it up so tight that you cant undo it with your hand(unless you've pussy grip) this early in the morning i cant remember why i was told this but i know someone reliable told me....i think(damn 6:30ness)
the situ i mentioned above with mr beafcake was we couldnt get a screwdriver near the filter and couldnt slip a "remover tool" over it, i tried to undo it but i have afore mentioned pussy grip Razz and it was so covered in grease and dust that i couldnt undo it.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Tue, 11 May 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the filter on the aw11 is a bitch to get at, i use a tool has a loop of steel strapping then a bolt like assembly to allow you to tighten it around the filter then turn.. $5 at an auto shop..

either that or the SST 09228-06500 from your friendly toyota dealer. thats the one for the 3S but seeing as its the same filter 90915-03004 iirc ? should do wonders.
but before you but $$$ ones for toyota try the loop ones worked a treat on the mr2 when my other ones wouldnt work.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Wed, 12 May 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So how tight does everyone do up their new oil filters? Has anyone read the istructions, that say do it up until it seats then give it another 1/2 or so turn, and to lube it with some fresh oil? Smile
I'm always careful to lube & not to overtighten my oil filters & they're always undoable by hand.

Does anyone else prime their filters by pouring a bit of oil in it? I find if I fill up the centre section & then roll the filter around a bit the oil gets soaked into the element & doesn't drip too much on install & the oil pressure picks up alot faster when you first start it.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Wed, 12 May 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Exactly as you just said. Give it a little bit of oil around the seat, tighten it till it's touching the seat and give it about another half turn. Always come off by hand.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Wed, 12 May 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup seat then half turn, i still find on the aw11 its a shade hard to get out by hand though, the wrench/tool is just enough to loosen it.. on that note as well.. its pretty hard to actually put on in the first place so again the tool to tighten it on a bit.
Doug_
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Wed, 12 May 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I changed the oil on my girlfriends car today, realised that the 4A-GE has a lot more crap surrounding the oil filter than the 4A-FE engine bay, luckily for me the oil filter wasn't hard to undo at all, infact.. it was probably half the reason why she had oil leaking in the first place..

As with the preperation of the oil filter, I always pour a little oil inside and around the seal, so that next time it comes off without a fuss. (mechanic did the previous oil change in my car, where the filter was too tight)

Doug
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Thu, 13 May 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

just stick a screw driver thru it and turn it off.

still works better than any oil filter tool!!
Flem
Regular

May 2002
Re: Oil filter removal tool for 4A engine Thu, 13 May 2004 11:03 Go to previous message
The oil filter tool shown in the picture is weak a apprentice broke it after a few weeks, ive got a listle? one (repco) as EVOSTI has pointed out if you REALLY want a toyota one call me ill get you one i work there. Note spare parts give me a fair discount not the best compared to other dealerships.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:how do i kno if my cams r stock?
Next Topic:Attn Toyota Echo Owners
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 04:40:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058319568634033 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.