Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
18RG-U_RA-23
Occasional Poster

November 2003
icon8.gif  SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 13:47 Go to next message
I've just installed an 18RG into my RA23, After the first startup, i noticed that the oil guage isn't reading. I pulled off the oil filter and to my horror is completeley enpty. Clean as a whistle. This engine is not pumping oil.
What do i do guy's? Is there something i can do externally?
I just want to fix this for shure without trial and error as the engine is in excelent good condition. I hope!
  Send a private message to this user    
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what assembly lube was used, how long was it run, and at what rpm?

i don't know what an 18rg oil pump & system is like, but from you description so far, i think this one is near dead and well past the time when oil will help it.
i think that inspecting the rods & mains is a must, even if there is some simple explaination(i haven't a clue as to what) for no oil pres.
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Mon, 10 May 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18rgs have known probs with oil pumps
i have come across the relief valve inside then sticking

u should always use new oil pumps in these engines when rebiulding them

so did u reuse the old oil pump?

if u did
remove sump them oil pump

pull pump apart and check to see if theres scrastches in the bore of the oil pump where the relief valve is

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 22:24]

ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check to see if you have drive from short shaft to oil pump!. After rebuilding an engine like the 18RG, or the 2TG, I pre oil the engine. Remove the oil pump/short shaft idler gear, and turn the oil pump over using a long screwdriver. Listen to all the air being expelled, as the oil fills all the oil galleries.
Initial engine turn over in car is conducted without ignition connected. This reduces load on bearings. Then when happy fire her up. Dont let the poor engine sit on idle for too long. If you have positive oil pressure(dont rely on idiot light) take it for a drive, and get some varying loads into the engine. Rough tune at this stage is OK. When you have a few K's up then you can let it idle while you tune it.

Hope this helps, regards Chuck.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Was the engine converted to 18RG from and 18R (C)? Maybe the cam oil hole plugs were removed and never replaced. However if this were the case, your oil pump would still have pumped some oil around the engine.

I am betting that Chuck is right, and that the drive form the dummy cam to the oil pump is AWOL.
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do u have the right dizzy, if u have a certain 18RC one, then the dizzy doesnt reach the pump drive
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the difference in dizzies..i have a 18rg one in my 18rc so i thought they were the same.....and i dont recall the dizzy sliding into anything at the front...maybe i missed that part...
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the difference in dizzies..i have a 18rg one in my 18rc so i thought they were the same.....and i dont recall the dizzy sliding into anything at the front...maybe i missed that part...
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the engine has just been rebuilt and hasnt been run yet, it isnt going to have any oil pressure.

You should fill the oil filter about half full of oil, and let it soak into the paper before refitting. With the spark plugs out turn the motor over on the starter until oil pressure comes up. You should really have a nice quality oil pressure gauge when doing this(see exact pressure), but the original one should suffice.

Once oil pressure is up, then refit spark plugs etc and start the engine. The rest is as Chuck said.

What ever you do, dont start and run the engine until you have got up oil pressure!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Worst case scenario, you will have to pull the plugs out and tow it round the block, in gear to get oil pressure up. This is a bit extreme.

An oil pump has to be pretty f%$^ed not to pump ANY oil.

Just as a bit of trivia, the cam bearing rotation doesnt affect the 18R like the 2T as the 18R is a single over head cam motor unlike the 2T where the cam is in the block.

earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Although I havent got an 18RC and an 18RG dizzy in front of me, to my knowledge the oil pump drive is still present on the 18RG dizzy. Since people100 has an 18RG dizzy fitted to his 18RC, this confirms that the drive is on the 18RG dizzy too.

The 18RG and 18RC dizzies do have different advance curves for both the vacuum and centrifugal advances on each dizzy respectively. One reason for this is the different power band for each engine with the 18RG designed to rev higher than the 18RC.

I am also pretty sure that the oil pump drive doesnt vary between the Bosch dizzy and the Jap dizzy.

But all this wont matter on the 18RG as the oil pump is driven by a short shaft that replaces the original dizzy drive set up.

Speaking of which, has this shaft been installed?

Should have an aluminium holder that fits into the orginal dizzy hole in the block, to locate it. Again, as Chuck has already said.

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2004 11:05]

18RG-U_RA-23
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I removed the carbs and the small plug with one 12mm bolt holding it. Cranked over the engine by hand and saw cogs turning in the hole. Does that mean it has been installed?
18RG-U_RA-23
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Tue, 11 May 2004 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I removed the carbs and the small plug with one 12mm bolt holding it. Cranked over the engine by hand and saw cogs turning in the hole. Does that mean the dizzy replacement shaft has been fitted?
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Wed, 12 May 2004 06:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The top section of the oil pump drive shaft locates in the alloy piece that you have pulled out. If you see that shaft connected to a gear that engages with another gear on the lay shaft (the shaft running in front to rear direction of the vehicle) then yes the oil pump drive shaft must be there.

Is this a rebuilt engine or just a second hand one?
18RG-U_RA-23
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Wed, 12 May 2004 14:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The engine was bought used but recently rebuilt. I sourced it from an engineering company who used it to power a Celica show car. It was rebuilt (With paperwork, reciepts etc) late 2001 The engine was sitting on an engine stand for 10 months before i got my hands on it. It was driven for about 1500k's and then replaced by a 450HP Supercharged 2J motor or something like that. The bloke i bought it from swears black and blue that the engine is in top shape and was pumping out healthy oil readings. Basically no problems. (So you hope)
18RG-U_RA-23
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Wed, 12 May 2004 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just another quick question.
Should there be anything behind the dizzy? When i pulled out the dizzy i noticed there was nothing for the dizzy to spin on down low. On the end of the dizzy, the shaft is tapered like a flathead screwdriver. Is it supposed to slot into anythjing? The gear to spin the dizzy is there and doing it's job but there is nothing to locate the bottom most flat head part of the shaft.
Is that the problem?
Am i missing engine componentry?
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: SOS SOS No oil pressure in my new engine!!!!! Thu, 13 May 2004 03:36 Go to previous message
Since the engine has been sitting for so long, the oil would have drained nicely back to the sump. As was said earlier, pull the plugs out and wind it over till oil pressure comes up. Need a good battery for this as sometimes takes a while.

The dizzy has the slot bit for when it is fitted to the engine as an 18R. The 18R has the dizzy located in the engine block and the slot bit drives the oil pump.

In the 18RG the dizzy is located in the timing cover and the slot bit does nothing. Instead of the dizzy shaft providing drive to the oil pump, the other little shaft spoken about earlier takes over this job and the aluminium piece locates this shaft and fills the hole in the block. Obviously the dizzy cant fit in the original position in the block on the 18RG due to the intake manifold being in the way.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:21r and 22r simialities and differnces
Next Topic:AE71 and AE86 stud pattern
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 15:43:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050477981567383 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.