Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Fri, 07 May 2004 13:41 Go to next message
now this is partly an exercise in what you define "sensible" as meaning...

after doing my suspension the wrong way, i want to fix it.

i dont really want coilovers, so the plan is:

tokico HTS 102 shocks (short stroke)

springs to suit

roll centre adjusters, poly bushes etc etc etc.

what would be good spring rates for my AE86, considering i will probably never see a racetrack? i dont mind the discomfort factor of "hard suspension" but i dont like the feeling of losing traction over slightly bumpy roads.

i have heard 6kg/mm front 4 kg/mm rear thrown around a fair bit, would these rates be livable with?

[Updated on: Sun, 09 May 2004 10:39]

Send a private message to this user    
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: semnsible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Fri, 07 May 2004 15:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats wrong with coilovers? would suit your needs MUCh better then stock setup,
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: semnsible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Fri, 07 May 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's easy.

8kg/mm front, 6kg/mm rear.

that's what myself and 3 other ppl i know have, and it's great.

handles wickedly on the track, through the hills, and is good for a bit of the ol' slidey slidey Rolling Eyes

simon runs 10kg fronts, and tho it is stiff as dogshit left out in the sun for a week, it still doesn't lose traction over small bumps on the road.

BUT - get coilovers. they change the whole feel of the car. well worth it.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: semnsible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sat, 08 May 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
8/6 eh, thats not some numerology factor is it (AE 8kg/mm 6kg/mm)?

that still seems hard, but it makes me more comfortable about using 6 front 4 rear.

i have been thinking about coilovers, but just for the front, i dont like the idea of rear coil overs on a AE86.

i am figuring scincie i will have to shorted the strut casing to suit the short stroke shocks, i might as well weld on threaded sections and "coiloverise" my standard struts.

they (coilovers) arent "funny" are they? i know that the standard ones are purposely set up so the spring and shock are not mounted co-axially, but i like the idea of fine being able to fine tune my ride height to get the gap the same as the rear, among other reasons...

thanks for the advice!
funkdoc
Regular

February 2003
Re: semnsible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sat, 08 May 2004 18:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got Tein HA's on mine...i think they're 7kg/mm front and 5kg/mm on the back...when ur driving slow u can feel every bump... kinda annoying esp with a rattly 20yr old car... but when ur going hard... even over rough surfaces through some twisty mountain roads, it seems to smooth out and feel real good!! But it depends a lot on bound and rebound of ur shocks too... i recommend u gettin coil overs designed for the 86... cost a bit more but at least u know the homework has already been done for u by (hopefully!) professionals!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: semnsible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Need to convert some figures... But I had 400lbs/in springs on the front of my RA28 and they were way too stiff in my opinion. Made for a really poor ride as the car would jump all over the shop on bumpy roads.

I have since changed to 275lbs/in springs and it is 100x better. There is some more roll around corners but sits on the road heaps better.

Cheers
Joel
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: semnsible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 07:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man stiff ae86 suspension... mmmm yummy yum

its good and smooth sometimes bumps may cause issues with 'float' feeling, the rca's will fix that.

my system:

front
------------------------
revolver coilovers
Cusco Pillowball Camber Adjusters
revolver 8.5kg/mm springs
TRD 21mm non-adjustable anti-swaybar
> (looking for bigger 'adjustable' upgrade)
*T3 negative camber roll centre adjusters *(not fitted yet)
7.5mm wheel spacer (1 per side)
cusco adjustable front strut brace

rear
------------------------
KMAC custom 6.4kg/mm rear spings
GAB Gymkhana adjustable (6 ways) rear shocks
> (currently waiting for Techno Pro Spirit Tokiko HTS shortstroke shocks to arrive from japan)
18mm aftermarket swaybar (no idea brand)
> (looking for bigger 'adjustable' upgrade)
TRD 2 Way Limited Slip Differential
REVOLVER Custom Length Panhard Rod
cusco adjustable rear strut brace

upgrades to come
------------------------
full cusco rear pillowball adjustable-link kit (arms, links, bushings, swaybar, the lot!)
UPGARAGE adjustable-length front control arms
Cusco Front bushing kit (poly-urethane)
OEM power steering knuckles for quicker rack

[Updated on: Sun, 09 May 2004 11:47]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: semnsible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joel, whats with the imperial? Laughing

google tells me that 175 lb/in is 4.9 kg/mm, so maybeye 6 front will be good for me

i'm reading "tune to win" at the momnent, and have been hearing the "use the softest springs you can" thing a fair bit, which i think will work well, at the cost of "slidey slidey"

i really need to drive, or more likely "be driven" in one of you guy's cars with these hard ass spring rates, they seem crazy hard to me (but i have no idea what different rates feel like, i dont know what rate my custom springs were, and i have no idea what rate stock springs are)

anyone with high spring rates live in melbourne Very Happy

im planning to get the T3 RCAs, they are about the best i have seen, and the price makes me not want to bother having them made myself!

ae86 drift, have you looked at whiteline (selby's) swaybars? im pretty sure they make adjustable sway bars for the hachi roku, fairly cheap too

[Updated on: Sun, 09 May 2004 10:42]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: semnsible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah they make one

but i wouldnt touch whiteline with a 10ft pole

personal reasons
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright, as im still in the planning stages of my suspension for the 86 too i will post of what ive been thinking of doing. My setup is more for race and twisties runs than anything else, so i can live with them being a bit harsher than most as its not a daily driver.

Currently

Front:
Koni Yellow Shocks
8kg/mm 65mm Kings
Coilover conversion (Fulcrum Collars, T3 Upper Hats)
T3 RCAs
Cusco Pillowball Strut Top
Cusco adjustable strut brace
Whiteline front adjustable swaybar
Nolethane bushes
Power Steering Knuckles

Considering whether to go with the -ve camber RCAs, or the normals. And also whether to get the T3 triangle brace conversion.

Back:
Koni Yellow Shocks
6kg/mm 65mm Kings
T3 Rear Strut Brace
T3 Rear Triangle brace
Whiteline Adjustable swaybar
Whiteline Panhard rod
Nolethane Bushes

And for the back im considering whether to go coilovers, as im currently not sure of what strengthening will be needed. Anyone want to clear that one up for me?

So thats my setup, hope it helps man. What do other people think of it too?
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine, for all you softies out there Laughing Laughing

*front*
8kg Craftz front springs
Jap made coilovers
Tokico HTS 102 48-way Adjustable front inserts
Tein Camber tops
Cusco Adjustable strut brace
Nolothane bushes everywhere
20mm Bolt on wheel spacers
35mm RCA's

*rear*
6kg Cusco springs
Tokico HTS 102 48-way Adjustable rear shocks
Cusco rear brace
Custom rear brace (which i have 2 left for sale...PM me Very Happy )
TRD 2Way LSD
4.625 TRD gearset

*soon*
Cusco front chassis rail brace
1/2 cage
Whiteline Adjustable Panhard rod
traction brackets
adjustable rear trailing arms

DON'T BE WEAK!!!

[Updated on: Sun, 09 May 2004 11:47]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where did you get the Tein camber tops from, and also what are the 35mm RCAs like?
The "custom strut brace" is that the one which you posted a pic of in another thread which bolts onto the wheel arch?
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tein's were in the car when i got it.

RCA's are fine.

the 'custom rear brace' is the top one found in this thread -
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=22016&rid=3193&S=824764e62736987d373722f 05e88f1c4&pl_view=&start=60#msg_309385msg_ 309385
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what is a traction bracket?

pics?
installed pics??
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 21:29

what is a traction bracket?

pics?
installed pics??

alters the pinion angle of your diff, for more or less traction, when fitted with adjustable rear arms.

i dont have any pics of mine...cos i dont have any yet.

and i cant figure out how to capture a frame in wmv or winamp...i have an option vid on my pc that talks about it...lots of pics.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pinion angle?
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh...pinion angle.

basically points your diff upwards or downwards at the front, which alters the amount of traction you get
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve, what option vid?
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 12:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's a pic...not fitted

http://www.club4ag.com/images/Battle%20Version%20Calatog/DSC00721.JPG
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an extension for the control arm to fit to?
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai...not sure. the file is just called option86.mpeg

might actually be from a AE86 Club video.

garth...yuup
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought the traction brackets where to help with axle tramp ? cause by the lower arm angle change , making the virtual torque point move closer to the rear of the vehicle by the decreasing angle intersection of the arms , causing less traction / more pressure to the joints / causing more compression of pivots points {especially rubber}/ causing the diff to walk because of exsesive force for the arm location point on the diff housing ? Shouldn't the diff pinion angle be only adjusted from the upper arms ? if the lower arms are adjusted the wheelbase will be adjusted {more of less} , due to unequal length design of the four link system , causing the first problem to become worse still ?

takai

i have those spring rate for you to use if you want to try , do you mean 63mm spring internal ?
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve-AE86 wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 22:19

basically

yup... Cool

late...tired... Cool
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
65mm internal diameter.
Just measured it up with a ruler just then, Not quite the most accurate of devices though.
Which springs did you have to fit? the 8kg or 6kg?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I fitted the traction brackets to mine a while back, definately a good thing. Simple as that Very Happy
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin > how much for the traction brackets?
and who fitted em for you?
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Sun, 09 May 2004 23:55

65mm internal diameter.
Just measured it up with a ruler just then, Not quite the most accurate of devices though.
Which springs did you have to fit? the 8kg or 6kg?

Both and if there a king spring in your car , they should be 63mm .
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sun, 09 May 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They arnt fitted yet. This is what they are:
http://www.dysfunction.ws/albums/Sprinter/DSCF0004_002.sized.jpg

I still have to wait for money to buy the Koni's which they will be housed on.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you have those sections yet ? i would use the steel weld on sections instead of machining c clips and threading the strut with a gland nut { its allot easier } and a 65mm spring size limits the amount of springs available , could just drop a spring over to see if it fits ?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are on my desk as we speak.
I picked them up relatively cheap, so i went for it. I am intending to secure them in place with a 20-30mm collar welded to the strut itself. So that should be quite easy to do. Depending on spring lengths i may even secure it at the top too, so it cannot move, and is fully captive.

As for the springs, yeah i daresay that just popping a spring over it would be the easiest, just to see if it fits.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 00:43]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
argh, you bastards, dont turn this into a general AE86 suspension thread!!! Laughing

8/6 seems the general consensus, i need to take a ride in one of these sprung to buggery cars.

i will be barging in on some of you guys at the end of the year, planning a trip to queensland and that seeme to be where most of the AE86 nutjobs live.

MRSHIN, what spring rates are you using? and do the traction brackets only re-locate one pair of mounts?

and for everyone, what are the disadvantages of using coilovers??

leaning fairly heavily toward them more and more now.

going to look into making myself an adjustable panhard rod too, need to price some spherical bearings.

edit:

takai, if you look at the back end of a sprinter, you will see that the springs are mounted seperately to the shocks, the shocks are fixed to the "axle housing" just by bolts, single shear bolts. thie needs reinforcing if you want to run rear coilovers.

personally, i would never run coilovers in place of seperately mounted shocks (ie i would only use "coilovers" to replace standard coil over struts), but that is just me. i also wouldnt use a rear strut brace in a sprinter, i would however make a brace that bolts between the rear seat catch clips!!

second edit:

it seems that you can't really have short stroke suspension without having coilovers too, due to the standard spring perch being s close to the top of the strut, so it looks like my mind has been made up for me. coilovers here i come

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 02:46]

Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 11:33

queensland ... that seeme to be where most of the AE86 nutjobs live.

duh...everyone knows that it's South Australia Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 12:03

takai, if you look at the back end of a sprinter, you will see that the springs are mounted seperately to the shocks, the shocks are fixed to the "axle housing" just by bolts, single shear bolts. thie needs reinforcing if you want to run rear coilovers.

gabriel tyler from t3 has a coilover kit in which he includes a brace for the rear shock mount. this is standard practise for rear coilover kits

Quote:

personally, i would never run coilovers in place of seperately mounted shocks (ie i would only use "coilovers" to replace standard coil over struts), but that is just me. i also wouldnt use a rear strut brace in a sprinter, i would however make a brace that bolts between the rear seat catch clips!!

whats the harm with replacing shock+coil combo for a coilover shock system? as long as your strengthen the mounts, theres no harm at all. also whats the harm in aligning the suspension with a rear strut brace and strengthening the chassis with a rear chassis brace aswell?

Quote:

it seems that you can't really have short stroke suspension without having coilovers too, due to the standard spring perch being s close to the top of the strut, so it looks like my mind has been made up for me. coilovers here i come

completely correct, you wont regret it man Smile
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i knew that in the back of the sprinters they were individual spring/strut combo rather than a traditional coil over strut setup. But i didnt know what needed to be done to the hat and seat for it to be strengthened.

I knew T3 had that coilover setup, but that requires me to send him my shocks and stuff. I am looking for a similar setup now which i can buy just the parts for. Like the top hat strengthener and bottom shear bolt mount. Anyone got one?

Also why wouldnt you mount to the upper strut mount for a strutbrace on a sprinter? I have seen this done succesfully several times now.
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 17:38

Also why wouldnt you mount to the upper strut mount for a strutbrace on a sprinter? I have seen this done succesfully several times now.

cos it's better to mount off 4 bolts, than 2 shear bolts?
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any of you guys ordered stuff from T3, Garth?

.. What are they like dealing with people from oz? How long should you expect for their goods to arrive here? few nice bits on there I wouldnt mind.

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 09:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have some upper hats coming in as we speak from T3. They were ordered Thurdsay last week, and paid for then.
Pretty good to deal with sofar, now just to see their turnaround time.

RE the strut brace, i understand that. Although i think i might be getting confused between bolts and shear bolts. Time to go read up.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i wouldnt mount the rear strut brace on the car because in my opinion it is not needed, as the rear suspension is not macpherson strut, it is totally different from the front of the car which DOES need a strut brace. put simply, as far as i can see it, no forces are transmitted through the upper shock mounts,

in my opinion, the sideways loads at the rear are handled pretty much entirely by the panhard rod.

and the mounts for the seat catches are REALLY beefy, better to use them for general body stiffening up.

ae86 drift, your points are noted, and i agree with you, but i personally wouldnt use coil overs on the rear of the car, as i could just adjust the front to suit the back, so to speak,
(i have a slight reluctance to use coilovers, but it is just for a stupid technical reason, and it seems i am going to be using them anyway)

if you are running coil overs on the back, good for you! just make sure you reinforce the shock mount. when you look at it it is very clear what you have to do.

im looking at 6 front, 4 rear, from what i have gathered this is kinda a happy medium,

out of interest, would anyone be interested in adjustable panhard rods? if there is enough interest i might actually do something about it eventually!
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 19:32

and the mounts for the seat catches are REALLY beefy, better to use them for general body stiffening up.

i have for sale braces which mount between these, as seen in Simon's drift car, and i also have one in mine. the top one -
http://www.users.bigpond.com/steveg101/rear-inside.jpg

Quote:

out of interest, would anyone be interested in adjustable panhard rods? if there is enough interest i might actually do something about it eventually!

i just did a group buy on whiteline adjustables, and happen to have one left over...sold 15 all up.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:13]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skaney wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 19:02

Any of you guys ordered stuff from T3, Garth?

.. What are they like dealing with people from oz? How long should you expect for their goods to arrive here? few nice bits on there I wouldnt mind.

yeah great turn around about 2 weeks. gabe is a top bloke

Quote:

ae86 drift, your points are noted, and i agree with you, but i personally wouldnt use coil overs on the rear of the car, as i could just adjust the front to suit the back, so to speak,
(i have a slight reluctance to use coilovers, but it is just for a stupid technical reason, and it seems i am going to be using them anyway)

if you are running coil overs on the back, good for you! just make sure you reinforce the shock mount. when you look at it it is very clear what you have to do.

nah dont run coilovers on the rear, no real need, my setup is good as is. but yeah, jst pointing out its nto a hard job to do, nor unfeasable Smile im quite aware on the strengthening of the shock mount requirements too Very Happy

also, what technical reasons make you not want coilovers
so much better than any other type of setup, in every way

unless its a pre-1980 car?
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
posted before, then found a non finished sentance, stopped the post then lost the whole frigging post.

the gist of it was:

i want to run a watt's link diff location system one day

i want to make a "bolts to seat anchor points brace" that will let me keep the back seats in the car

(steve ae86)how much would a whiteline panhard rod be? i will look into the cost of making one, and will give you a yell if it ends up being too much.

AE86 drift, i read in some SAE paper about the negative effects of having the spring mounted on the same axis as the strut pivot/shock absorber rod, and how you can get better operation from mounting it on a different axis (but it is still essentially coil over)

i think it had something to do with reducing bending loads on the shock absorber shaft.

when i cay "coil over" i mean aftermarket height adjustable coil over, as opposed to standard mcpherson strut suspension.

but from what i can tell, the disadvantages ar far outweighed by the benifits.

i just thought of somethign else, when you convert to coil over suspention how do you attatch the strut to the body, i know that strut top camber/caster adjusters would be nice, but you could just use the stock top spring perch yes??

hmm, maybeye not. then where would the top spring perch for the coil overs go...

[Updated on: Mon, 10 May 2004 10:36]

Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

but you could just use the stock top spring perch yes??

hmm, maybeye not. then where would the top spring perch for the coil overs go...

yes, you can. i make coilovers, (which i also sell) and have used standard tops for most sets. the top hat for the spring sits just under the standard strut top. makes no difference to use stock, or camber adjustable tops.

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Steve, out of curiosity how much did you manage to get the pan hard rods for? I was interested until i had a whole heap of unexpected expenses while i was over in Adelaide, so i couldnt get one.

I may be interested in picking that last one up off you though when im over on the 22nd.

As for the adjustable coilovers, i would be more interested in them for their height adjustability, and the ability to get that extra bit of drop on the track where i cant on the road (damn not having a V8 and a trailer). And also for some possible graded dirt motorkhana type work (unsure on that one yet). And the huge benefits with being able to set up the suspension to a lot finer degree is awesome too. But im not sure yet on the strengthening yet, as i havnt had enough time to closely inspect the mounts yet (too many assignments).

With that seat mount brace i guess that i could include that as part of my roll in cage and that it would probably interfere if i had it in there when trying to design a cage around it. I havnt sat down with anyone to design that cage yet as i havnt had the time yet Sad, but its on my list of things to do.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Tue, 11 May 2004 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, i have to give T3 the biggest props ever. I jsut got my upper spring hats from Gabe, and they are beautifully made. Not only that, the shipping was prompt, and communication was awesome.

Gabe is a great guy to deal with, and very very courteous. Very reccomended.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Tue, 11 May 2004 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good stuff takai.
I'll be ordering some of their RCAs very soon.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Tue, 11 May 2004 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aye, their RCAs look very good. Im looking at getting the normal ones not the -ve camber ones.
Also looking at getting tribars for both front and rear strut braces. Although after the discussion in here im reconsidering the rear strut brace idea.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Tue, 11 May 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can also vouch for Gabe he is great to buy from. Very helpful and shipping is nice and fast. I have his front coilovers and strut tops HTS shocks and revolver NRCA's but havnt friven the car yet. Im looking for some 4kgmm rears anyone know where i can get some?

Brad
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Tue, 11 May 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Mon, 10 May 2004 22:52

With that seat mount brace i guess that i could include that as part of my roll in cage and that it would probably interfere if i had it in there when trying to design a cage around it. I havnt sat down with anyone to design that cage yet as i havnt had the time yet Sad, but its on my list of things to do.

wait till you get here...i'm making a copy soon of a cusco safety-21 full cage, which can also be used as a half cage, if you wish, while still incorporating the rear brace.

pm sent also
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Tue, 11 May 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But is the Cusco Safety-21 a CAMS approved cage design. Ive heard both from different engineers. Even to the point of one would refuse to comply it. This is important for me, as i need a "targa" spec CAMS compliant cage. Which is a 6point dual (maybe single too) cross braced cage.
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Tue, 11 May 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in the words of the great Homer Simpson -

"I don't know."
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Tue, 11 May 2004 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh, well ill need a cage to conform to those specs. Which also involve being welded in, so no halfcage abiliity for me. Unless i use my special powers of anglegrinding.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Thu, 13 May 2004 13:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right, just to bring this one up again.
Since its become a general purpose thread i thought i would ask one simple question.

I am currently choosing between two different struts. The Tokico HTS102 Short Stroke struts, or the Koni Yellows (normal stroke), for the AE86.

The Konis are only $120 more, but not a short stroke.

Which one would people go for?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Thu, 13 May 2004 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tokico HTS's ANY day of the week.... wouldnt touch koni's in an AE86 with a 10 foot pole.

and the Saftey 21 cage is abled to be complied provided it is welded in by an engineer is what i was told...
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Thu, 13 May 2004 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
koni yellows are short stroke anyway arent they?

by the way, what is the best price people can get tokico hts 102s for?

i can get them for around 800 delivered, good price?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Thu, 13 May 2004 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im with simon
wouldnt touch koni with a 10 ft pole

go the tokiko HTS

there is a reason that almost every ae86 tuning house in japan uses tokiko HTS you know.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Thu, 13 May 2004 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can get the Tokicos for a measly $560+shipping. They are the HTS102s.
Hmm, looks like ill have to be doing a bit more research then.

EDIT: Anyone want to give some firm reasons why the Tokicos over the Konis

Oh yeah, the Cusco Safety-21 is NOT a CAMS approved cage, even if it is welded in. The design is ok, just the materials are unsuitable. It is needed to be welded in too.

[Updated on: Thu, 13 May 2004 22:16]

Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Fri, 14 May 2004 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Fri, 14 May 2004 07:43

EDIT: Anyone want to give some firm reasons why the Tokicos over the Konis

firm reasons

1) they rock

2) seriously, on a lowered car, you want short stroke.

3) i have them on my car and they fuckin rock!

4) they rock

Very Happy
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Fri, 14 May 2004 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Owww. Just got a shipping price from Japan, Y15,000. That brings the total to like $770.
Anyone know where to get them cheaper, delivered?
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Fri, 14 May 2004 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wat's wrong with koni's?
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: sensible spring rates for "boy racer" street driven AE86 Sat, 15 May 2004 02:55 Go to previous message
I'd also like to hear arguements on Tokicos vs Konis. As far as whiteline goes. They Use Konis in their kits dont they?. Whatever they are theyre apparently modified for shorter stroke.

Is there actualy data behind tokicos shitting over konis or is it just the logic of 'the japs use it so its god' ?

=/

-Andrew

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze fuel??
Next Topic:3T & 3T-GTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:45:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0096170902252197 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.