Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
_Why_
Regular

February 2003
Installing Power Windows in AE86's Tue, 11 May 2004 08:08 Go to next message
I did a search but could not find anything on this topic

I recently rang Electric Life (they do power window kits) and asked some information on installing power windows into a aus spec sprinter and they said that they didn't do such a conversion. They claimed that they refused to work on the sprinter as they believe it won't be of good quality and will not last past 2 years. However it bought into question why GT-APEX 86's in Japan still have working windows?

does anyone know of any other workshops or shops that fit power windows?
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Tue, 11 May 2004 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
probably coz the glass rails in the doors tend to be sticky as hell and the motors would burn out trying to move them?

nfi

just wind em man Smile

Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Tue, 11 May 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They make them for a 88 - 91 COROLLA SR5 COUPE but I havent found anything on what that is exactly? I know an ae86 is a sr5 coupe but its not made in those years.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Tue, 11 May 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was told by a guy I know who does this sort of thing, that it was a waste of time as they wouldnt last very long.
He would do them, but said it was a bit of a waste of time.

His reason was that they are large and heavy windows, and being of an older design, the motors he used would have a hard time doing their job.

I guess the toyota factory stuff is just of a better quality/design.

LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Tue, 11 May 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
someone used to sell a sorta kit for em .. motors off a newer camry or something?

victorians too .. maybe try a search or it could be that other darn toyota forum Rolling Eyes

[Updated on: Tue, 11 May 2004 11:07]

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Tue, 11 May 2004 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Get in contact with thundertiger00 or GT86 (same bloke different handles).

He has had his lazy windows for about a year. Brought a kit from this forum, hardly any english in the instruction, it was a universal kit, mainly for european car but it works, if you want i could get the name of the product.

He doesnt get on the forums much, but he's still around sometimes.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Tue, 11 May 2004 19:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm about to do a similar thing (thanks craig for the inspriation) to my ta22 ; whilst i know its not an ae86, the door and glass is just as massive as each other - electric life do a "universal" kit for any car - basically its a motor with a gear which goes over where the original winder mech normally lives - if you want i can find a pic (or craig can) of the setup in his ra23? - his job is awesome and as far as i know quite reliable.
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Tue, 11 May 2004 23:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't mind seeing that pic Grega. Thanks mate.
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would like to see that too if i could grega... tho them ones usually rely on the lifters and stuff being in good order to start with dont they? cos mine are shot
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 06:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok (craig i really hope you don't mind me putting this up and hosting it for you) -

http://www.vncommodore.com/images/celica/pw.JPG

i intend to do exactly the same as what craig has done above - so expect tech article.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard from (unreliable) sources that you can modify AE-92 gear to make them work.
Guess you'd have to try to find an overseas AE-92 as a lot of them have two doors so the glass will be bigger, etc.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah it's ae92 COUPE winders - supposedly almost just bolt in. of course finding the odd ae92 coupe in aus is just so easy!

T
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grega wrote on Wed, 12 May 2004 16:42

ok (craig i really hope you don't mind me putting this up and hosting it for you) -

http://www.vncommodore.com/images/celica/pw.JPG

i intend to do exactly the same as what craig has done above - so expect tech article.

Looks very similar to the one i helped install. There is a black plastic splined ring that goes around where the manual winder use to slot onto, i think the plastic will strip before the motor burns out?

Been in for about 1yr and still going strong. Doesnt hurt to give the windows a good lube before you install.

Steve
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no offence, but damn that is ugly Sad

i have found some window motors that mesch nicely with my stock window rack, i am hoping that if i just bolt them in the right way (which will take some lining up) then it should work quite well.

need to work out how to stop them moving when it is all the way closed/all the way open but not really sure how to yet.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey greg, yeah no worries always willing to help out a fellow toymoder where i can, yeap never ever had a drama with them, they whined up with the alarm,

as for ugly, i have door trims dont you? also these motors are very light
however i do recoomend u only use on windows with good regulators for a longer lasting life, mine have been in 2 years
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
._T_. wrote on Wed, 12 May 2004 18:31

yeah it's ae92 COUPE winders - supposedly almost just bolt in. of course finding the odd ae92 coupe in aus is just so easy!

T

Ah, there's my unreliable source. Smile
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i meant the big bits of metal chopped out of the door, but you guessed right, i do have door trims Very Happy

thinking about it more, i think there is no way to do it "my way" without hitting the window or protruding through said door trims.

that kit uses like a belt drive from the motor to the "handle" yeah? if it is plastic i suppose it would be bugger all heavier anyway.

where can you get the kits?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 19:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also with windows, you can get silicone spray to put in the tracks where the windows run - this stuff is magic - apply once a year and you'll have smoothe cruising windows!

have to concur - i have door trims too so, wheres the problem?

electric life are at : http://www.electric-life.com/

they have distributers here in aus, they're in sydney road coburg FWIW...

the kit that craig has there is called a colibri : http://www.electric-life.com/preview/colibri.html - i particularly like the bit that says LIFE TIME WARRANTY....now how good are the gears?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 19:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and speaking of unreliable source i wonder where the unreliable source got those ae92 coupe fast glass motors from, hmmmm?
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So no one knows what a 88 - 91 COROLLA SR5 COUPE is? (They make a direct bolt in kit for this car and it might/might not be similar).
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
greg,

since i'm unreliable i can't tell you Smile

T
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its a JDM import, also found in the US. AE92 Coupe that they are talking about.
_Why_
Regular

February 2003
Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Wed, 12 May 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so that would work for a sprinter too?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Installing Power Windows in AE86's Thu, 13 May 2004 01:53 Go to previous message
my ae92 levin was a GTZ. not real sure of anything else.

the rear of it currently resides at EKW in east keilor Crying or Very Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE71 and AE86 stud pattern
Next Topic:Injectors: Impedence
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 23:40:21 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056679248809814 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.