Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
zulu
Occasional Poster

July 2003
AE102 Rolla Idle Issue Tue, 04 May 2004 10:37 Go to next message
Hey folks

Can anyone recommend where I might be able to go to have an engine checked for vaccumn leaks?

I've got a 7A-FE that won't quite idle as it should, and much work has been done to try and solve the problem (replaced air filter, timing belt, water pump, etc etc) but nothing seems to help!

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Paul
  Send a private message to this user    
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE102 Rolla Idle Issue Wed, 05 May 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it's a vacuum leak, it will idle high, from the sounds of things, it could be your isc (idle speed control) valve. Could be the wiring from the ECU or the valve itself.
zulu
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: AE102 Rolla Idle Issue Wed, 12 May 2004 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
G'day Johnny

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I am relatively new to engines and their related systems so I am not familiar with the isc valve - I have tried looking up this valve in a haynes corolla repair manual and googling for this but it is not listed as a idle speed control valve (from what I can tell). Is there something else it may be listed as?

Also I have noticed that every now and then when turning on the car it makes a noise that sounds like it is coming from the belts but this only lasts a few seconds at most.

And finally it is using oil - around a litre or so every 2,500kms or so. I can't find any visible leaks, and cardboard on the floor of my garage is not picking up any drops. No smoke of any colour has been seen from friends from the rear.

Thanks for your help.
Paul
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE102 Rolla Idle Issue Wed, 12 May 2004 06:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude,
I found the best pic's in the gregory's manual.. I can photo copy and fax this stuff if you want, or I can try to put it up on my web site, but that will take some time. Oil, well 2,500km to 1L isn't bad, and not uncommon on these engines at that age, it get around the rings and won't show up as smoke until the rings are really worn, just keep and eye on it.
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: AE102 Rolla Idle Issue Wed, 12 May 2004 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zulu, my 7A-FE sits at about 750rpm stable once it's warmed up. What does yours do? And don't worry about the oil consumption, I go through about a litre a week Embarassed
zulu
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: AE102 Rolla Idle Issue Wed, 12 May 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny,

Yeah a pic from Gregorys would be good - if you could put it on your site it'd be great, otherwise I can PM you with a fax modem to send it to. Thanks for your help!

Tats,

My 7A-FE sits just over 800rpm, and i'd say my wifes 7A-FE is around 850-900rpm (hers is an auto mine is a manual, hers is a '94, mine is a '96)

Wow a litre of oil a week - how much driving do you do?

My 7A-FE tends to idle not badly but the inconsistent idle is there and is something I want to sort out coz its bugging me and I don't want to sit on my hands about it if its doing damage (whatever it may be).

I've found that when it idles you can actually watch the needle sway up and down (have to look close) and then every now and then you can hear the engine "struggle" for half a second if that and the needle drops slightly and then the engine seems to recover. It can do it up to 3-4 times while stopped at a single set of lights. My wifes 7A-FE doesn't do this so I know its not normal (benefits of having a second car to double check with!)

Thanks for your help guys.
Paul
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: AE102 Rolla Idle Issue Wed, 12 May 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine's a manual, and now you mention it, does the exact same thing. I thought mine was just a bit screwy Confused I hope it's not doing damage, coz I haven't got the money to do anything about it....

As for the oil, I think it's more to do with the way I drive it Razz
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: AE102 Rolla Idle Issue Wed, 12 May 2004 11:06 Go to previous message
Thats not really much of an idle issue...
my old 4AFC corolla use to idle at about 1300rpm... it was later found to be a vacuum issue
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:MicroTechs web eddress
Next Topic:Gt4 mods!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 16:00:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041308403015137 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.