Toymods » Tech & Conversions » any known mods to 4A-C

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tercelboy
Regular

September 2002
icon5.gif  any known mods to 4A-C Thu, 05 September 2002 11:41 Go to next message
I have a 1984 Toyota Tercel 4WD (like a 4WD corolla). They come with a 3A-C standard which had been upgrade to a 4A-C before I got it. Since the motor was in pretty good nick and the problems changing to EFI (not as easy as your standard AE-86 to 4A-GZE mod, gear box etc) I kept the 4A-c. I have since fitted at 32/36 holley, custom built extractors and a 2inch exhaust with a lukey muffler.

I was thinking about buying a second hand supercharger, mounting it where the aircon compressor used to go, 2.5inch pipe into the carby and run a cheap pod filter as a cheap experiment into supercharging a carby engine.

Any other mods that anyone else has done to the 4A-C, like how far can it be bored? and will porting and polishing do anything? or is it a simple fact that anyone who has/had a 4A-C has/wants to put a 4A-G variant into there car because the 4A-c is just crap.

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: any known mods to 4A-C Thu, 05 September 2002 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like you want to spend a crap load of money on a shitty engine. surely you would be able to fit a GZE more cheaply than doin all that work to a carbied 4ac??
can u dump the fwd section and just run rwd?
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: any known mods to 4A-C Thu, 05 September 2002 21:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've never heard of anyone putting a supercharger on a 4AC, my guess is you're giving the GE a miss due to it's lack of torque down low, which is fair enough for a Tercel.

But hey, anythings possible, but either way (S/C 4AC or 4AGZE) you might find your drivetrain the weak link..

You could always just do all the usual mods to the 4AC, which it responds well to ,if you do a search on the forums you should find some previous threads on 4AC mods. Most people go the 4AGE route because of the manifold design on the 4ACs which is a limitation on how far you can take the engine.. and it really is a much better engine, depending on your intended application of course.

HTH

sam
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: any known mods to 4A-C Fri, 06 September 2002 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One of my many pipe dreams was to put Tercell running gear into a AE92 Corolla sedan. But fitting Celica GT4 gear would cost about the same and be stronger i think!

Be carfull with moding the engine too far because, as Sam mentioned, the drive train is the weakest link. There is no center differential in a Tercell as there is in the Celica or Subaru setups. As the front diff splits power to the front wheels, and to the rear, it takes a lot of the load.

The Max Ellery corolla manual give a lot of info on the 4wd tercell setup for those who havent seen it much.

The Tercell drive train was never designed to take that much power, so keep an eye on it!

There are many thing you can do to the 4A-C. Search the forums, as i think most of the engine specific mods have been mentioned before.

Still, dont let that put you off. A hperformance modded Tercell would be quite unique i think!

Craig.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 September 2002 05:45]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: any known mods to 4A-C Fri, 06 September 2002 12:35 Go to previous message
Im not sure you can use the GZE or GE for that matter in the Tercel, I think theres a unique notch in their 4AC block to allow for the Tercels funny mount gearbox which the other G's dont have, I though I heard???? maybe?? that some 20V's may have this notch too but not 100% sure
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:will a ra23 diff bolt onto a ta22
Next Topic:AE86 5 stud pattern
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 11:14:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075268745422363 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.