Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Thu, 13 May 2004 05:33 Go to next message
Just curious on the benefits of these rotors.
Heard slotted give good bite but go through pads quickly.
Drilled less fade but not as much initial bite due to less surface area...maybe...

Anyones thoughts and experiences would be aprreciated...

Steve
  Send a private message to this user    
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Thu, 13 May 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some ppl reckon drilled are only good for track use. Apparently, the irregular heat cycles of road use can crack the rotors...whether there's any truth to it is a different story

slotted...better than solid. Pad aren't too expensive
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Thu, 13 May 2004 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slotted is what you want. cross-drilled is not great for road or track due to uneven stresses from thermal expansion.

slotted wipes clean the pad surface and gives a path for outgassing of pads.. that said, modern pads don't outgas anywhere near as much as old ones do, so it's more for cleaning the pad surface..

cross-drilling is for looks Wink fooly sik Very Happy (and weight reduction)

Cya, Stewart
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Thu, 13 May 2004 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slotted are definitely the go for the street. I've heard people say they cause increased pad wear, but in my experience it's hardly noticeable. My EBC's are still going strong after more than 12 months of use (lots of "spirited" driving, not to mention the odd hard stop from 250+ km/h) and I've had slotted rotors the whole time.

But even if the pads wear out a couple of months quicker I really couldn't care less, it's worth it IMO.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Thu, 13 May 2004 22:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If my choice means anything, I have upgraded to slotted discs.

I wouldn't touch drilled discs unless they were top-dollar items. I have had numerous friends with drilled discs that suffer severe cracking after any hard work (eg. a track day or a spirited mountain run).
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Thu, 13 May 2004 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A good quality slotted disc is best as the material also has a big effect on braking capability and longevity.

To see what is the best for hard track work, just look at what the V8SC circus runs. They are all slotted, and the reason why drilled discs crack is the heat cycle stresses and the fact that the holes are stress concentration points and therefore help start the cracks. Once they start, it isn't long before a disc is toast.

The drilled discs are for 90% looks, and the slots are best for any hard work as it helps clean the pad surface and allow the escape of gasses built up on the pad surface during braking

QED

Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Fri, 14 May 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 13 May 2004 16:41

My EBC's are still going strong after more than 12 months of use.

Norbie, are you using DBA slotted discs ?

I've read about issues with EBC pads (Greenstuff) and DBA slotted discs not being a good mix.

http://board.performanceforums.com/forums/showthre ad.php?s=&postid=363108
http://board.performanceforums.com/forums/showthre ad.php?s=&threadid=67132654
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Fri, 14 May 2004 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got grooved rotors on my rolla they dont seem to have that annoyance of ordinary slots with the green stuff pads ill get a pic up if i can
i got em done for $40 a rotor at a local machine shop.
the rotors are just ordinary aftermarket items apparently manufactured by brembo just a cheap name on it(thats what i was told when i bought em anyway)
http://www.users.on.net/vanede/disk-groove-1.jpg
http://www.users.on.net/vanede/disk-groove-2.jpg

[Updated on: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:31]

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Fri, 14 May 2004 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-Brisbane wrote on Fri, 14 May 2004 06:41

If my choice means anything, I have upgraded to slotted discs.

I wouldn't touch drilled discs unless they were top-dollar items. I have had numerous friends with drilled discs that suffer severe cracking after any hard work (eg. a track day or a spirited mountain run).

hey dude where did you get slotted disks from?

Assuming your still using the original brake setup.

I picked up a pair of solid DBA rotors for $75 Very Happy

ohhh and what pads do you use?

thanks
adam
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Fri, 14 May 2004 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Glad i asked, didnt know that drilled were so crappy.
Also found that metal king pads on standard rotors worked pretty damn well, not mach fade, just a bit stiffer in the pedal. my 2 cents worth

So it looks like slotted are the way to go... Very Happy
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Fri, 14 May 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh, so thats what the annoying as crap shudder is. I thought i had warped a rear disc or something.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Fri, 14 May 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soarer wrote on Fri, 14 May 2004 14:43

I've read about issues with EBC pads (Greenstuff) and DBA slotted discs not being a good mix.

Yes I'm using DBA slotted rotors and yes I have the resin buildup and annoying shudder thing happening. I don't think the problem is specific to DBA rotors, it just happens with those pads.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Fri, 14 May 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right... now what pads to get.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Fri, 14 May 2004 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Never had this problem... but then again the carnever gets driving in 'normal' daily fashion either...Have to keep and eye on that.
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Fri, 14 May 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no problems with my EBC greenstuff's even with normal daily driving but with my groove setup there is no stop start areas for the resin to build up to the point of shudder.
but the resin is visible on the disk surface as you can see in the pics above
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Sat, 15 May 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know the recommended procedure for removing the resin buildup? Do you just use fine sandpaper or maybe some kind of solvent?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Sat, 15 May 2004 00:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was thinking scotchbrite, and merely spinning the wheel while holding the scotchbrite to the front of the caliper with gaff
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Sat, 15 May 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

hey dude where did you get slotted disks from?

Assuming your still using the original brake setup.

I picked up a pair of solid DBA rotors for $75

ohhh and what pads do you use?

thanks
adam

I am running 60-Series Landcruiser 4-spots, Bendix 4WD brake pads (generally better quality than generic car ones, but I plan to upgrade shortly), and the rotors are DBA items to suit some kind of Peugeot...
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Sat, 15 May 2004 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For road use the metal king pads are VERY good great intial bite pulls you up on a pin head, thay do fade after repeated HARD use and dust like a mofo, Greenstuff I have had no problems with shudder on my standard MA70 rotors but thay cop a good hard stop from 180 every fortnight to clean them up, seems to be doing the trick inital bite is not as good as the metal kings tho.

Allan
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Sat, 15 May 2004 07:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Takai,

I still haven't gotten around to putting on those discs/calipers yet Razz

I purchased Race Brakes RB74's will let you know...
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Wed, 17 November 2004 03:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to revive an old thread...but...

Im am looking at buying DBA longlife slotted discs for $145 each (is this a good price?)

My OE pads are brand new and I dont particularly want to change them...

My main question is should just buy the OE rotors or dig a little deeper for the slotted discs???
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Wed, 17 November 2004 03:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
totally depends on your car and how you drive it..
will you benefit from slotted rotors?
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Wed, 17 November 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well...

I regularly enjoy driving through challenging roads... and i find that my OE discs (which are warped) feel less and less responsive as I go further...

And I am hoping to go to some track days... when funds permit it...

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Brakes - Slotted, Drilled or both? Wed, 17 November 2004 22:01 Go to previous message
What are the discs you're getting.

I recently got DBA long-life slotted to suit an ST205 GT4 for about $160ea.
This was cheaper than Toyota for OEM ($200ea).

The extra couple of dollars is definitely worth it, & it will be only a couple of dollars.
It "may" wear your pads down a bit quicker, but the prolonged braking performance should be improve due to the pads being constantly cleaned & the gas being able to escape.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3t-gte injection system issues - wont quite start
Next Topic:1GGZE HELP
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:05:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062589645385742 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.