Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
James's AE86 Wed, 21 April 2004 16:02 Go to next message
The car still needs abit of work esp in the power dept. Its currently running on 150, 150, 90, 90 psi compression but its getting there. Here are some pics from the build so far.

Its currently running
4AGE bigport
Motec M4 engine management
TRD LSD (4.3 final)
Underguard chassis bracing
Tuned length extractors
whiteline traction brackets
Front coilovers, adj panhard rod etc.

The cam angle sensor aint feeling to well. I'm getting sync errors on the ecu. So its going to get some coil packs (after i get it to sync from somewhere else) and an electric fan. I hope to get 160 flywheel hp (modified AE92 4AGE still getting built) and after dropping some more kilos, it should be set.

James

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~idodgebullets/Ae86Build20040405/Before_Painting.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~idodgebullets/Ae86Build20040405/DSCN0001x.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~idodgebullets/Ae86Build20040405/DSCN0054.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~idodgebullets/Ae86Build20040405/DSCN1877.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~idodgebullets/Ae86Build20040405/For_my_rear_end.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~idodgebullets/Ae86Build20040405/New_Bracing.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~idodgebullets/Ae86Build20040405/New_seat_mount.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~idodgebullets/Ae86Build20040405/DSCN00051.jpg
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~idodgebullets/Ae86Build20040405/New_Stuff.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 21 April 2004 17:34]

Send a private message to this user    
justinfox
Regular

September 2003
Re: James's AE86 Wed, 21 April 2004 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good stuff. Nice plates. I tried to get those in NSW and they were available! I then put it off for a few days and then BAM. They were taken! SHITE!

Can I ask a few questions?

- How much did the re-spray cost you? I'd like to know so I can get a ball-park figure before seriously contemplating it.

- Your TRD short shifter. I have one on my car and it rattles like mad. Makes a rattling noise. Does yours do this too?
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: James's AE86 Thu, 22 April 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damn you, you stole my plates!

hehe

Nice car mate
my mate is currently building a 4agte ae86 and its an almost identical colour!

how much was the lsd and quick shifter and where did ya get them from?

any pics of the engine bay?

-ian

Ps. we should try and get a perth ae86 get together or something!
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Thu, 22 April 2004 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks doods!

I got the plates when i got the car. So not alot of say there. AE86 would be nicer Smile

Justinfox: I got the respray for about 3k i think. I found this to be on the high side of things but there was some (actually quite abit) of rust to be removed. The engine bay is not done, but the inside of the doors etc are all painted.

The trd short shifters "cup" was missing the plastic liner thats present in the std one (mine was rattling like mad when i first got the thing put in). The standard (non trd) item was used with the trd shifter and a spacer made up to make up the height difference. Seems to work fine now. No more metal rattling noises.

ae95: Dood, get "AE86" if its available. A shorter plate might exposed more of the radiator. I got the lsd and shifter kit from a business called "bossandi" recommended by Pat1c on these forums. I got both parts landed in perth for around $1100 (from memory). I have tried to contact the business to get more parts in, but their web presence has been taken of line.

I'm looking to get some work done soon, and i'll snap some engine bay pics then. Will post some update pics as soon as the work gets done. A perth AE86 get together wouldnt be too bad. I think there is a currently a sprinter group in perth but i donno how active it is.

Take it easy fellas

James
justinfox
Regular

September 2003
Re: James's AE86 Fri, 23 April 2004 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers James. I don't quite understand what you mean by the missing plastic bit and the "cup" (?) but I'll take a good look at mine and try my best to figure this out! Cheers.
_Why_
Regular

February 2003
Re: James's AE86 Sat, 24 April 2004 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much was the lsd and where did u get it from?

also... got a quote on instillation or are you doing it urself?

looks cool keep it up
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: James's AE86 Sat, 24 April 2004 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats sweet as man Very Happy Very Happy
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Sat, 24 April 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya Justinfox,

Have a look at the cradle that the shifter sits in. The std item (non trd) had a plastic lining taking up alot of noise and vibration.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Sat, 24 April 2004 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
_Why_ wrote on Sat, 24 April 2004 11:27

how much was the lsd and where did u get it from?

also... got a quote on instillation or are you doing it urself?

looks cool keep it up

I got the lsd for around 850 (new) i think. Got the thing from bossandi (cant get in contact with them anymore).

Installation including the replacement of all bearings etc came to over 1k - i think.? - I wish i had some place to work on the car... i live in a unit and theres not alot of space here.

Take it easy

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: James's AE86 Sun, 25 April 2004 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the quick shifter was 250bucks brand new?
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Sun, 25 April 2004 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the shifter was about $150 (from memory) and the rest to make up the total was for freight.

ae95 wrote on Mon, 26 April 2004 01:53

So the quick shifter was 250bucks brand new?

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: James's AE86 Mon, 26 April 2004 09:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~idodgebullets/Ae86Build20040405/New_Bracing.jpg

whats is this?
how much?
where from?
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Mon, 26 April 2004 10:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a brace runs under the front guards. I got it from a friend of mine who brings in things from japan.

How much depends on the exchange at the time. I paid a couple of hundered for it...

Have a look here - see the middle pic - and it will show ya where the item goes.
http://www.nagisa-auto.com/nams/index.htm

PM me if you want the (importers) doods contact details.

ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: James's AE86 Mon, 26 April 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dude what rear end you got?
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Tue, 27 April 2004 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its the std jap disc brake rear end.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: James's AE86 Wed, 28 April 2004 13:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice work,

We should organise a ae86 cruise and meet up in perth.
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: James's AE86 Thu, 29 April 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hell, yes

we should meet up for a cruise for the perth boys. i am trying to get the guys from the clubae86 forums to get a cruise organised but im not getting many replys

do u wanna organise it? Very Happy

by the way james, very nice car Smile
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: James's AE86 Thu, 29 April 2004 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looking good james,worked out what to do with the motor yet?
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Fri, 30 April 2004 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers Simon!

I'm going to save some more money and get the manifold cut and shut and have the whole thing dropped in the car. Am planning to getting some trd engine mounts as well (if i can get a good buy are you interested?). I'll run the big port cams and 0.8mm head gasket with a refreshed bottom end. Hopefully this will do the trick. *fingers crossed* - the thing is.. i'm guessing that i'll be needing adjustable cam sprockets to dial in the cams. - oh well..

driftae86... Thanks dood. For a perth meet. we could all cruise to the red windmill? - http://www.redwindmill.com.au/

I dont know alot of the clubAE86 forum doods out there. So getting em to rock up might be abit hard. Alternatively we could go cruzin with club vtecnique (steve and all) - yes i know this is a toyota forum (to an gentlemens club of choice).

Knock back a few drinks, claim its our birthday or that we are getting married soon and stuff engine money in womens g strings! - i've been meaning to go as a friend has been telling me good things. 2 birds, 1 stone.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: James's AE86 Fri, 30 April 2004 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats this clubAE86 forum??

sated your building a hi-comp hybrid?
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Fri, 30 April 2004 20:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya ae86drift,

clubae86 forum : http://ae86.all.at/

At the moment i've got a small port motor apart and am currently considering my options. The small port head has been ported by JHH performance engineering but i need to get the inlet manifold cut and shut (read more money).

I'm guessing the cheaper way out (the current 4ag is not in good condition) would be to use the existing big port head which i am not too keen on - as i am unsure of its condition.

Any pointers?

driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: James's AE86 Tue, 04 May 2004 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we dont have to necissarily cruise to a place. we can cruise around for the sake of driving and getting to know eachother.

does that make sense? Very Happy

sated: where did you get those mounting brackets for your bucket seat? i am having issues fitting my bucket seat. can you get me some? or put me in contact with someone who can?

[Updated on: Tue, 04 May 2004 03:08]

nb86
Regular

August 2003
    sadff
Re: James's AE86 Tue, 04 May 2004 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate, take to the plenum with a hacksaw and cut both ends off just in front of the inner wall of the endplate. make sure you cut straight and you can just swap the ends over and tig weld it back together. if you cant weld it will cost maybe $30 to get it welded. only issue is that you have to weld up the internal breather pipe and so fit an oil catch can and make a new throttle cable plate.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: James's AE86 Tue, 04 May 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you taken this to the plex?
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: James's AE86 Tue, 04 May 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
driftae86 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 11:05

sated: where did you get those mounting brackets for your bucket seat? i am having issues fitting my bucket seat. can you get me some? or put me in contact with someone who can?

I have just fitted a Sparco seat to my sprinter and have made an awesome bracket system that puts the seat in a great spot. If you want you can take a look at mine or I could be persuaded to help you with yours!

Gabe
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Tue, 04 May 2004 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya Doods, - Sorry for the late reply.

driftae86.... going somewhere to hang sounds fine with me. Makes perfect sense dood. I got the mounting brackets from speedworks in osb pk. Look for Ivan, he can help get em in.
pm me if ya need a hand with em.

nb86... Yup, cant weld to save my life. My main concern is the angle of the inlet. (the big port inlet manifold seems to have the throttle butterfly angled down). I know that some doods dont seem to have a problem... but i dont wanna be the first.

ae95 .. dood. If i took the car to the plex now i'd say it would run a 17 - 18 sec qtr. The current engine is not feeling the best and it would be a waste of time. Going up hill is a struggle. I really need a new motor. I've been in a 4AGZE - without the supercharger (while waiting to get turbocharged) and it felt faster. I'm getting desperate now.
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Tue, 04 May 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dood, if ya know a good way to fit a bucket seat, i'd love to have a look see (might do that with the passenger). And if you happen to have a healthy 4AGE that you'd like to donate...

gabe wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 18:14

driftae86 wrote on Tue, 04 May 2004 11:05

I have just fitted a Sparco seat to my sprinter and have made an awesome bracket system that puts the seat in a great spot. If you want you can take a look at mine or I could be persuaded to help you with yours!

Gabe

gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: James's AE86 Tue, 04 May 2004 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate you can have a look anytime. And I do know of a healthy 4ag but its still in fwd config.......
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Wed, 05 May 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya Gabe,

Where abouts are ya?
Would love to come and have a look.

gabe wrote on Wed, 05 May 2004 07:38

Mate you can have a look anytime. And I do know of a healthy 4ag but its still in fwd config.......

gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: James's AE86 Wed, 05 May 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Up Kalamunda way mate, but the car is getting some work done at the moment. Will get it back probably mid next week.......
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Wed, 05 May 2004 20:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heya Gabe,

Is this the final wait till the 2 ltr AE86 rocks up?

gabe wrote on Wed, 05 May 2004 21:23

Up Kalamunda way mate, but the car is getting some work done at the moment. Will get it back probably mid next week.......

gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: James's AE86 Wed, 05 May 2004 23:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very close.........just getting a custom radiator fitted. After I make a plenum.......All it needs is a tune!
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: James's AE86 Thu, 06 May 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks sated and gabe Smile

i have got my bucket seat fitted its just a bit dodgy and not in the right position.

sated: how much did the brackets cost?

gabe: thanks for the offer. maybe i'll see it if we all go for a cruise together Very Happy
driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: James's AE86 Thu, 06 May 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just asked the main guys at silviawa (have you heard of this club?) if they would be interested in doing a joint cruise with clubae86 or maybe letting us tag along with them for one of their monthly club cruises. i know i am not a main player at clubae86 but i thought if i could do something to get the club moving in the right direction it would be good for the club.

would any of you guys be interested in going to represent the ae86 drivers of perth?

i think it would be really good if this could happen as their cruises are pretty cool and they generally respect the ae86 as a jap performance car.

i was at their starting point last night to pick something up and the guys i talked to thought my car was pretty cool.

so reply if you are interested. Smile

i am just waiting for their reply to see if they think its a good idea or not. ill let you guys know.

[Updated on: Thu, 06 May 2004 01:48]

driftae86
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: James's AE86 Thu, 06 May 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they replied and liked the idea.

so let me know if you are interested. i'll need to get as many ae86 drivers as possible for this cruise.
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: James's AE86 Thu, 06 May 2004 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like it could work.......But my car wont be driveable for a while yet......... Sad
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Mon, 10 May 2004 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant quite remember how much i paid for the thing, - i think it was a few hundred after freight and tax. See Ivan at speedworks. I think they get quite abit of stuff in.

driftae86 wrote on Thu, 06 May 2004 08:56

thanks sated and gabe Smile

i have got my bucket seat fitted its just a bit dodgy and not in the right position.

sated: how much did the brackets cost?

gabe: thanks for the offer. maybe i'll see it if we all go for a cruise together Very Happy

SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: James's AE86 Tue, 11 May 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks wicked dude, were you bumpers hifilled???

cheers mate
sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: James's AE86 Thu, 13 May 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks dood.

Could very well be. Cant see the original texture of the bumper anymore.
SLY16V
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: James's AE86 Thu, 13 May 2004 13:28 Go to previous message
cheers dude, reason i asked cause my bumpers had nicks and scratches in it so i had to repair them and if i didnt hi-fill them they would show up so yeah looks good matey...
mine will be ready sooon...

cheers mate
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sillycar88 (new pics)
Next Topic:New guy with ST162 Celica
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 15:26:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006105899810791 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.