Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Which Oil is teh best!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 03:04 Go to next message

Theres another topic about which fluid to use, and we all know Toyota red coolant owns all Laughing

So which Oil is the best, I use nothing but HPR30 as i've been told its the shiznat (for my engine)

What are people prefrences & why.

Send a private message to this user    
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W50.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much do you wanna spend?!? this has been covered before - the broadstroke of the debate is: It doesn't really matter what type of oil you use, so long as you change it regularly! Having said that, I'd avoid recycled oil at all costs!

Clint
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coronamark2 wrote on Thu, 22 April 2004 13:04

So which Oil is the best, I use nothing but HPR30 as i've been told its the shiznat (for my engine)

What are people prefrences & why.

Who told you it was no good and why ?

I used HPR50 in my 18R-G celica and changed it regularly and never had a problem.

I'm wondering a similar thing, but specifically for 7M-GTE. I'm not really a fan of thinner oils - I much prefer a thicker oil and better pressure, along with proper cooling Very Happy
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Penrite recomend it

link

I was told by brother to use it
I've had no problems with it + i do an oil change every 5000ks

Im getting my radiator fixed (again) on the weekend so im might get some red coolant just to see if its as good as its craked up to be Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 22 April 2004 07:43]

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mobil 1 5w40, but I'm burning a bit at the moment, so maybe goto somthing thicker next time. Alot of 4ag people seem to be using Penrite HPR15 or 10.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
penrite for me too - cant rmemeber what type
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HPR15 goes into my GT4... I would go thinner but my valve stem seals are getting crap and I figure it will make more smoke if I use thinner oil...

On a side note... do not use thin oil on 3tgteu... I put some 5W in cause I had it laying around and now the thing doesn't get enough pressure (or at least the oil pressure gauge thinks so)
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm that'd probably explian the noises my engine makes when the oil heats up.
i have a 7mgte with 5w-50 Mobile1 oil in there, also blow alot of blue smoke on start up, so obviously it's too thin. Problem is the only oil they seem to sell here in tas is 5w-50, at least at supercheap.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use that geniune toyota motor oil in my camry it's dearer then what i was gunna buy for it but it doesn't worry me about the price of it as the 3-sfe doesn't use much oil at all but i don't know I think it might have to do with the condition of engine as well as what type if oil I drain mine every 5,000kms usally takes 3 months for me to clock 5,000kms and change the oil filter every 10,000kms I have no problems and the oil is very clean the only reason I use the stuff was because of the sticker on the top of the motor saying something about using the stuff (when i brought it) so I'll stick with it as I am happy with it (the one in the black bottle) forget what grade it is but
Stenno
Regular

March 2003

Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Castrol Synth R 0W-40 or 5W-30.
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 22 April 2004 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/engineoil _bible.html
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Fri, 23 April 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HI IM JOHN LAWS, and oils aint oils, thats why i drink vavoline, you know what i mean. On a serious note, i have been a fan of the penrite series of oils for a while now and they have a great range and advice to cover a wide veriaty of engines. However as long as you change your oil as often as you should and and steer clear of the supermarket varieties you cant go wrong.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 13 May 2004 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm starting to lose faith in my Mobile 1 5W50, fully synthetic oil.

My engine has started making a slight clunking noise on cold startup. I think I need a thicker oil, maybe a 10W40 minimum.

The next step is to find a trusted, reliable brand. What do other 1JZ owners use? Brand and grade?

Thanks.
bman
Regular

November 2003
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 13 May 2004 21:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive been using mobil 1 in my 2TG, but i think its a little thin too. might change to a thicker mineral next.
Fruitloop
Regular

March 2004
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 13 May 2004 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use Penrite semi-synthetic with every third change Mobile 1 in 5w40 (different detergents),change it every 5000k with filter (bloody hard to get FIAM filters) Got 400,000 k's out of a 2se before I had to lift the head (low comp on number 3)
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 13 May 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally, I don't like Mobil 1 that much, I find the Repsol synthetic (if you can find it) to be much more heat resistant.
KYOTO
Regular

April 2004
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 13 May 2004 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When i bought my car it had only ever had Shell Helix in it so i have maintained this. The car runs excellent oil pressure (best my mechanic has ever seen on a ST165) and never blows smoke. I guess oil is just one of those preferential things, everyone will have their own...
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Which Oil is teh best! Thu, 13 May 2004 23:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mobil 1 seems to be well respected by all.

my next oil change in my VT will see shell helix synth put in. my 4AG after its bedded in will get mobil 1.

my missus astina has had mobil 1 since new and on startup i reckon its too thin.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Fri, 14 May 2004 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I always use Penrite hpr15 in the 3sgte. probably should be using 10 but the 15 seems to work a treat!
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which Oil is teh best! Fri, 14 May 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like the Penrite range also. I use HPR 15 or HPR 30 - I also like to use BP Corse+ but it is not always convenient to get.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Which Oil is teh best! Fri, 14 May 2004 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been trying to find a drum of oil so I don't have dozens of bottles of oil lying around with like half a litre in them.

I found that I can get this Gulf Western stuff relatively cheap and easily in a 20L drum and wondered if any of you guys have tried it?

Gulf Western - Protecta Ultra SAE 15W/50

Otherwise I'll tell you guys how it goes in about 5,000kms.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Which Oil is teh best! Fri, 14 May 2004 10:33 Go to previous message
i run penrite hpr 40 in my ma70..works bloody great

am undecided on what oil for the v8...i dislike mobil 1, as i think it keeps the engine "too clean"
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Intercooler Water Injection
Next Topic:Frame strengthening with foam!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 09:41:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.11717081069946 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.