Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
ma61 crank pulley woes Sun, 09 May 2004 01:04 Go to next message
trying to replace the crank pulley on my 5mge ma61

the damn screwdriver just doesnt want to stay in the ring gear, where i have removed the starter.

how have other ma61 ppl done it?
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Sun, 09 May 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easiest way is to put the car in 5th and go for it - but I'm assuming the engine is out of the car?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Sun, 09 May 2004 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive often found using this was useful for getting the damn thing off

cheers
ed
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Sun, 09 May 2004 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh that worked.

ed. that didnt seem to work, i searched, read every post weeks ago, but alas the damn thing stayed on Twisted Evil

i posted because nobody seemed to have ma61 5m specific information, only general statements.
fair enuff if the screwdriver sits nicely in a 1j or something, but it doesnt mean it would be the same on my engine.
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Sun, 09 May 2004 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
may not help and i havent serach and not 5m specific, but Ive used on real stuborn ones sometimes MDF wood. Its quite soft and get some scraps that i had lying around and wacked them in between the flywheel and block, and on another motor i did this between the pully and the timing cover, another trick ive heard of but havent used is chuck the strong arm or whatever on it, up against the ground, wedging in place, and use the start motor to wind it over, too dodgy for me but...

STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Sun, 09 May 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont quite understand what you mean about the mdf..

and yeh, the starter motor method just turned me off a tad, maybe only as a last resort.
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Sun, 09 May 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well ya just get whateva ya have lying around. about 10-15 mm thick. Get the hammer, and wack bits in either between the flywheel and block, or pully and block. Wack a whole lot of bits in, and the friction is usually enought to hold it in place.

Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Sun, 09 May 2004 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
spot the person who has never seen a flywheel explode
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Sun, 09 May 2004 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Y, how about constructive criticism, mdf is pretty soft...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Sun, 09 May 2004 03:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the problem you're having getting the centre bolt off, or getting the crank pulley off?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Sun, 09 May 2004 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its ok ive done it now. the bolt was the bastard.
the pulley just needed lots of jigglin and pulling.

i just used 5th gear. i didnt try it at first because it was in 1st with the slave removed.

kinda scared me how easy it was to undo Embarassed
the key and keyway on the pulley and crank seems fine though, no wear, so i assume it was refitted recently and torqued insufficiently.

5th gear should hold against the 160ftlbs shouldnt it?
mayb it will be easier to use the screwdriver in the ring gear now that it is turning the other way (tightening the bolt).

thanks guys
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Fri, 14 May 2004 19:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wish I had seen this earlier, now that you have it off I'll let you in on a secret that I would have told you had I seen this thread earlier. Oh well it will help others.

Once the flywheel inspection plate has be removed and the car is in nuetral, have someone spin the crank with a wrench on the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer in place. While the person spins the engine by hand watch the flywheel and you'll see one or more holes in it. Have the person stop spinning the engine when you find one of these holes. Now stick the thickest punch you can find in the hole and spin the engine till the punch stops the engine from spinning. Now using a breaker bar with the right socket loosen the bolt. This works every time.

When putting everything back together make sure the bolt holding the harmonic balancer is tight. If the bolt looks as if it is not in perfect condition replace it. If you don't do this the crank might get ruined. The keyways well wear and the crank will have to be replaced.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Fri, 14 May 2004 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've used an oil filter remover in the past. One of the tape ones that wrap around the filter, or in this case the pulleys and torque against themselves. Use this and turn until it rests against the chassis and then undo bolt.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: ma61 crank pulley woes Fri, 14 May 2004 23:38 Go to previous message
ah crap, i thought it had holes in it haha
ah well
it was easy anyway.

thanks guys Very Happy
p.s. still lookin for a new 5mge crank pulley/harmonic balancer
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply