Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Why is my thermostat not opening!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Why is my thermostat not opening! Sat, 15 May 2004 12:25 Go to next message
For some reason the thermostat on my 3sgte is not opening. So I went and bought a brand new one from toyota - still won't open. Tonight I ran the engine at idle for 15mins and it still didn't open. I would have run it at higher revs but my temp guage isn't working so I'm scared of overheating (apparently toyota changed the spec on these so it just reads off the scale after running the engine for a minute).

Any suggestions? or do I just need to run it hotter?
  Send a private message to this user    
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Sat, 15 May 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you did a conversion, whos to say your new engine temp sensor(sender) is mated with the dash display(reader) stick a thermomemter in the coolant to get a true temp reading.

also to test a t/stat boil some water with kettle.. put t/stat in.. if it isnt open then it's fucked.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Sat, 15 May 2004 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you try to boil it on the stove so that you could determine whether it is opening?

praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Sat, 15 May 2004 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep she works fine on the stove
but i dont have a thermometer that goes that high to test the temp of the water when the engine is running.
lol - it feels damn hot!
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Sat, 15 May 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well do the thermos cycle on and off?
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Sat, 15 May 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah the *insert bad word here* who had the car before me hard wired them and i haven't got around to fixing them yet.

I think I will go and buy a thermometer that can read up2 100deg.
How would you put that in the engine to get a reading anyway?

[Updated on: Sat, 15 May 2004 12:44]

Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Sat, 15 May 2004 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
while engine is cold you could open the radiator and put it in there.
or you could slip in under the return hose and make sure the hose clamp is down tight. thats how I have the sensor for my digital temp controller on my 1g.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Sat, 15 May 2004 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Sat, 15 May 2004 22:30

also to test a t/stat boil some water with kettle.. put t/stat in.. if it isnt open then it's fucked.

you shouldnt put the thermastat straight into boiling water to test it, have it in a pot on the stove (with a thermometer preferably) and bring the temp of the water up as it would in the vehicle.
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Sun, 16 May 2004 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have thermometer Smile Am going to put it, along with my temp sensor onto the stove whilst measuring resistance across the temp sensor. When the temp reaches ~82deg - I'll record the resistance. Then I can put it back in the car and bring it up2 that temperature.

Hopefully I've just been to causious and it will then open. If not, any idea's on getting air pockets out of the engine?
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Mon, 17 May 2004 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just run the motor for 5 mins or so with the radiator cap off to get rid of the air pockets
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Mon, 17 May 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its all good now. Thermostat is working - I think I just didn't run it hot enough before.
Got other probs now though....what are some GOOD workshops that poeple car recommend?
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Mon, 17 May 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a good guy in Brookvale. Michael is his name, business name is Wardsport. Works on virtually any type of car and is very reasonable.
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Mon, 17 May 2004 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the thermo. in a remote housing between the engine & radiator that isn't getting any flow by its bulb because you've re-arranged the cooling system?
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Wed, 19 May 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
because its broken
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Wed, 19 May 2004 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what other probs you have? i work at good workshop and do work for myself but id rather give you advice so you can fix it yourself as this is toymods. im even happy for you to bring it to me and have a look and tell you whats wrong and you can fix it if you want.
mick
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Why is my thermostat not opening! Wed, 19 May 2004 11:43 Go to previous message
where do you work at mick, Ive always wondered that.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2tg efi gear running a 3tg
Next Topic:Auto tranny slipping
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 03:25:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.024121999740601 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.