Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Wed, 04 September 2002 12:07 Go to next message
my brother just icqed me this..

Toyota Corolla 1986, twin cam, 1600, stroked 2.0L, 5 speed manual, ceramic button clutch, MR2, 5 speed gearbox, lowered, 15in Motorsport mags, custom metallic blue paint job, tinted windows, CD player, sports exhaust, a real eye catcher, 6 months rego, $5999

from the tradingpost

shame after all that work.. its not really worth selling

[Updated on: Wed, 04 September 2002 12:07]

Send a private message to this user    
jazae86
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Wed, 04 September 2002 12:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From memory there ain't enough meat in the block to do so. Or not atleast for it to last.
I remember talk on club4ag.

Jaz
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Thu, 05 September 2002 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe if it's using an MR2 Gearbox it's also using an MR2 2.0L engine?? Shocked Now that actually might be worthwhile buying for $5999!!
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Thu, 05 September 2002 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jaz, I didn't think you needed any meat when increasing stroke.

Stroking just requires lengthening the piston travel rather than increasing the bore to acheive added displacement.

Or unless im well wrong
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Thu, 05 September 2002 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the point in stroking an engine? isn't it better to have short fat pistons instead of long thin ones? as the longer they are the longer it takes for the flame from the combustion to hit the top of the piston where it creates full power, thats why formula ones have small capacitie v12's,v10's so thy can develope more power more quickly and rev much quicker due to them having small (short) combustion chambers

[Updated on: Thu, 05 September 2002 03:05]

jazae86
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Thu, 05 September 2002 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex,
It's called stroking but you still usually need to increase bore at the same time.
In any case, you couldn't stroke the 4a block much anyway.
HKS 5ag from memory needs some machining of the block to fit in the 5A crank.
5AG's were 172Xcc??? from memory.

Jaz
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Thu, 05 September 2002 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I saw the same add, the guy was full of it (trader Ad)... There is no way a 4AGE can be stroked to 2.0l, the HKS kit does need a bit of grinding to the block before the crank can clear, and this only get's it to 1.7L. I asked how! I really heard some crap about it (Trying not to laugh). He didn't really respond when I said it's impossible to get a 2.0L from a 4AGE, and could be if it was a '7A' with a stroker... The answer was he could be wrong and he really didn't know if it was or not.
jazae86
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Thu, 05 September 2002 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I was reading a book on engine dynamics and stuff, I'm pretty sure you want big bore short stroke. This creates more piston velocity and allows the engines to rev (well that has more to do with them being v10 and more piston's in the past. In-herrent balance on the crank and applied power).
It has been a while since I read that book so I expect to be corrected (except for v10, v12, v16 being able to withstand 17,000;20,000rpm)

For 5AG:
Got my book:
bore: 81.25
stroke: 83
CC: 1721.3 ----------damn, I was close
Compression: 11.0
chamber cc: 36cc

cams for 5ag from HKS
IN/EX
304/288
10.5/10mm lift

spark plug:
NGK BCPR7EP11

Info from 4AG II SPORT TUNE MANUAL

Jaz
I lick my finger: stick to wind and guess:
210hp @9500rpm. Wild guess but decent comp, BIG cams and more capacity.
Anyone know?

[edit for justcallmefrank. expect me to be wrong]

[Updated on: Thu, 05 September 2002 12:03]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Thu, 05 September 2002 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Other way round, big bore, short stroke , your argument sounds fine but you have them the wrong way round.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Thu, 05 September 2002 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Freak there is suppose to be a 2.0 ltr stroker kit in the states for the 4age. a aw-11 mr2 was bought into aust years ago. i read about it back in '96 or '97. i dont think i have the feature anymore, if i ever come across it in my (lost count boxes full of car mags etc.) i will let ya know.

as it say's it has a mr2 gearbox, it would be interesting if it was the same hardware put into a carolla, the mr2 might have been trashed??

[Updated on: Thu, 05 September 2002 14:53]

jazae86
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Thu, 05 September 2002 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recon it would be using a 7A block.
I really don't think there is enough meat in the block to do it.

I think I will wait for someone more knowledgable who I would believe know's. Not here-say. I'm here-say Cool

Jaz
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Thu, 05 September 2002 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats what i mean big diamiter and short depth Very Happy
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Fri, 06 September 2002 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what i remember.

an engine with a close to square (1:1 stroke/bore ratio) creates the best compromise between rev capability and torque.

Reasons:
Longer stroke means that the ofset from the crank's pivot to the conrod is larger which creates more leverage around the crank pivot the which in turn equates to more rotational force (torque)

But however, Because of the longer throw of the piston the travel speeds are increased dramatically which means there is higher inertial strain on moving components.

This is partly why longer stroke engines such as commodore sixes etc dont like to rev anywhere as much as the 2J supra six.
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Fri, 06 September 2002 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless we are all misreading the ad the i reckon its also either a 7a stroke or a 3s motor.
maybe the ad means the car is a twin cam 1600 but has had a stroked 2l in it. does that sense.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Fri, 06 September 2002 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How bout someone just ring up like I did and go have a look, if it a 4AGE, 1721cc would be the most with the HKS kit, a 7A crank,etc, doesn't work, a 7A block is taller (being through this with Mos 100x and he was right), so the best I could say it is either a 3S or a Stroked 7AGE, with 7A option being big bucks, ie over $5000. So i'd like to take a punt that's it is an Corolla Twin Cam with a 3S in it, and I know someone on this forum does have a 3SGTE in his corolla, So I feel that is the most likely option and cheapess...
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Fri, 06 September 2002 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the 4AGE cant be stroked to a 2.0L?
My erection is now flacid.......
Sad
jazae86
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Fri, 06 September 2002 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could have done without the last mental image

When you read the VERY POORLY worded add, you can sort of read:
Toyota Corolla 1986, twin cam, 1600 AE82 Twin Cam 16
stroked 2.0L, 5 speed manual, ceramic button clutch, MR2, 5 speed gearbox, motor and gearbox out of SW20 MR2

Jaz
When is this thread beingmoved to tech and conversion?

inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Fri, 06 September 2002 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But...

If the motor is a 3S, wouldn't it then invalidate the "Stroked 2.0L" part?

Just my observation.
jazae86
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Fri, 06 September 2002 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To be grammatically correct it would need to read: "stroked to 2.0L" or "stroked 1.6L to 2.0L." That's just one more letter. remove the "a" from "a real eye catcher" and add the "to" to above. No extra cost.

It's just a car ad. What is written and what it means are usually far apart.

"NEEDS WORK" ... the immortal trading post words.

Jaz
Hard life, grammatically correcting trading post ads on a Fri night. The great car life.

[Updated on: Fri, 06 September 2002 13:45]

dorikin ichiban
Regular

July 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Fri, 06 September 2002 19:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You must be talking about the 8A-G kit Smile

http://www.trs-usa.com/8ag.htm
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Sat, 07 September 2002 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe but very unlikely
YOGI8U
Regular

May 2002

Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Sat, 07 September 2002 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh...oh.. i think i know this one!
a engine shop was building them for the open wheelers!
they were using a 7A block with the 4AGE head and getting around the 2L mark out of them. from what i heard, they werent very strong, but would rev like nothing else
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Sun, 08 September 2002 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
By far the cheapest way to get a two litre engine into your car is to start with a two litre, such as a 3SGE. Stroker cranks and so on for 4AGE's end up very expensive indeed, and they use bespoke parts that are very hard to replace if something goes wrong.
It's often best to use as many stock parts as possible when building engines, as it makes fixing the blasted things easier in the long run. Wink
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Sun, 08 September 2002 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

You must be talking about the 8A-G kit

http://www.trs-usa.com/8ag.htm

Thank's I been looking for that kit on the web for age's...
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Sun, 08 September 2002 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes far easier just starting off with a 2.0l. especially with toyota when u have the option of the 3sgte
jazae86
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Sun, 08 September 2002 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't you mean starting off w/ 3sge BEAMS w/ 6speed

Jaz
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what the! stroked 4AGE??! 2.0L!! Sun, 08 September 2002 21:26 Go to previous message
Is that 8AG a stroker kit for the 7A's?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Clear tail lights (Altezzas)
Next Topic:what do u know about the JZA70?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 14:58:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.052057027816772 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.