Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What to do next???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
What to do next??? Sun, 16 May 2004 00:22 Go to next message
i've got my 4th gen so all is
And will be changing insurance companys very soon,

I don't know what to do for my money next,

These are my options

Exhaust System, I was thinking 2" or 2.25" piping from the cat and then a nice muffler, either redback or other around the $220 price for the system...

Suspension, I was gonna get some king low springs installed (i can't go more than 30mm with Racv insurance), and then get a rear sway bar (would it be classified as a modification, and if racv allow lowering, reckon they would mind?), then do the shocks at a later stage. Or even install the rear sway bar first,

No Go Section,
Maybe do a headunit, some jaycar coaxial 4" speakers, we can get em cheap so it could be an option
Neon window washers........ GOT YA!! hhahahaha (as if i'd install em hahaha)

Regards

Thanx for ur time everyone

Adrian
  Send a private message to this user    
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: What to do next??? Sun, 16 May 2004 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a hastily assembled list.... in order of priority me feels Very Happy

#1 K&N ($100)
#2 Extractors ($400)
#3 King Lows ($250 - easy to install yourself if you have a manual)
#4 Finish Exhaust (hi-flow cat) ($500+???)

that would be my stage one list anyway

#5 KYBs or something (not sure $400?)
#6 Sway bars (no idea)
#7 oil catch can ($12)

stereo goes without saying... Wink
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What to do next??? Sun, 16 May 2004 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I tried a mates k&n filter, didn't seem to do anything, probably coz i didn't have CAI, but yeah, I really wouldn't mind doin the exhaust, like From the cat, i'd only wanna spend like $220 ish on just some mild steel to add a bit of a note...

How much realistically would the k&n add??
Coz i was basically gonna just duct the piping to the original inlet pipe thats there, just run bigger piping....
Or should i actually make the whole bigger from the air filter??

Regards
Adrian!
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: What to do next??? Sun, 16 May 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SR TWINCAM wrote on Sun, 16 May 2004 11:36

I tried a mates k&n filter, didn't seem to do anything, probably coz i didn't have CAI, ...

How much realistically would the k&n add??

Realistically? Over a stock (clean) paper filter? Stuff all.

DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: What to do next??? Sun, 16 May 2004 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its much more fun if your running map, wich your probably not if its a ST162, to remove the airbox altogether, ummm you will require an adapter plate from autobarn and pod it, thats my take on intake.

altho my celica is map ~184~ its more fun you get the intake roar Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: What to do next??? Sun, 16 May 2004 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stock rear anti-roll bar is 'stiff' enough if you ask me, it's the front way that is a little on the weak side. The rear end steps out all the time in the wet, it's rather unsettling if you are pushing at or above 90km/h around a corner.

With standard 3S-GE intake, the 2" exhaust will be fine (performance and sound-wise) and possibly save you a coupla bucks over a 2.25

And I'll just 'second' that fact that a K&N filter will do little to add to 'teh powah' of your car, it will help mildly if you change other parts of the intake or start really high-flowing the head/intake.

ST162 uses AFM...and the standard ECU cannot be reprogrammed for MAP (damn hard-wired piece of junk, I cannot say enough bad things about the standard ST162 ECU - hehehe).

I would suggest doing a CAI job on your car - getting rid of that standard intake resonator really makes the intake sound meaner! King Springs are good (standard height, can't vouch for the lows as I haven't tried them?), I've got them on the front of my car (I think, can't prove it) and it feels pretty solid through high speed corners (120+), doesn't sit on the bump rubbers at all.

KYBs would be about $550 all up from memory. Whiteline make sway bars front & rear for about $120 - $150ish each I think (rear one is more exy). Has anyone checked out if GT4 sway-bar linkages are any better than the ST162s and if they fit? Because the standard ones suck a huge mountain of ass - they are piddly little rubbery things (better than the WRX plastic ones though - heh).
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: What to do next??? Mon, 17 May 2004 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would go with robs list. unless ur going all out then i wouldn't do the extrators and exhaust, wait till u have the turbo in till u start playing with the exhaust.
DunkyMonkey
Regular

March 2004
Re: What to do next??? Mon, 17 May 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey do you get that nice mean sounding intake roar if you have a AFM, i didn't think you did?
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: What to do next??? Fri, 21 May 2004 12:15 Go to previous message
Hey,
Hmmm at the moment i'm looking at this as my options...

Springs are at the top, but i have to figure out whats going on, if i go around a corner fast enough, or try a scandinavian flick, the guard actually rubs on the tyre, I know its not the mudflaps coz i took them off to try it... I've been told that my shocks are pretty good... What could it be?
I've heard the rear sway bars really do a lot for these cars, its quite a big difference in size from stock...

I took off the side of the indicator, under the pop up light, i can see the induction box, but i have to remove the mud protector and wheel first, but i didn't want to remove it yet coz i still haven't got CAI piping...

SO CAI would be the easiest to do, and yeah k&n sounds still like a good option... But yeah i got a cat/back exhaust quote which is 2" with like a redback muffler and hotdog resonator (i think) for about $230, i'd just love to have a nice note to it...

Thanx!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ignition upgrade, RA40
Next Topic:4age fuel line help pls
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 14:45:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058779716491699 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.