Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 07:51 Go to next message
as the topic suggests? becuase the max capasity for a ta22 is 960x2=1920(for F/I)??and arnt 13b's like 1200cc??
  Send a private message to this user    
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 07:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought they were considered 2600cc?
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh ok...so thatz why it would b illegal??? but how cum they put them in corolla'z,dattos, n all that crap?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 08:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dunno what QLD rules are like but,
in NSW rotary engines are considered as having twice their actual displacement.
hence 13b's are 2.6L, and 12A's are 2.3L

the reason 13b corollas exist is because they were built before these rules were introduced, and can no longer be done.

[Updated on: Sat, 15 May 2004 08:02]

freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why is that tho?? so what about a 12a turbo
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i guess because they produce a fair bit of power for their size compared to piston engines.

a 12A is the same, it would be considered a 2.3L hence also too big.
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked so i cant put a rotor in my car....... Crying or Very Sad
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not a turbo, no.
unfortunately it just can't be done anymore.
just get an N/A rotor and port the shit out of it. haha
freakincage_com
Regular

September 2003
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh tru..naa i prob have to go 3TGTE...u kno where i can get one cheapish?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thatd be nice, gettin on a bit, but still a nice engine.
unfortunately i wouldnt have the slightest idea where to find a cheap one, sorry.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you'd best talk to an engineer
maybe there is a way to get a 13b turbo into your ta22 and still remain street legal
but i dont like the chances, but you never know till you ask around some engineers.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Sat, 15 May 2004 19:44

you'd best talk to an engineer
maybe there is a way to get a 13b turbo into your ta22 and still remain street legal

Best idea i've heard in a long time Rolling Eyes I agree, ring some engineers.
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Isnt it 960 x 2.5 for a turbo motor and x 3 for a n/a motor...Im guessing ta23 weights about the same as a ta22 and its legal to put a 2l turbo in a ta23 so i dont see why a 13b wouldnt be legal in a ta22
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sat, 15 May 2004 10:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
because, as has already been mentioned at least twice in this post, rotors are considered by the RTA (and most race clubs/organisations) to be of double the "actual" displacement.
IE: 13b = 1.3L x 2 = 2.6.
This is because rotors actually displace more air than he 1.3 litres they're named after (it's actually 1.8 times as much, but the rta uses a x2 multiplier for simplicity)

you can probably get it done, but it would require having your car registered and engineered as a "custom build", which almost certainly requires more work than you're willing to put in.
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sun, 16 May 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The lightest a car can be for a 13BT is 1047kg (ie. 1047kg x 2.5 = max of 2617cc capacity) if it was factory fitted with a four cylinder or rotary engine.

Most states are starting to come in line and as far as I know we all have similar guidelines now.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sun, 16 May 2004 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you could always do it and not engineer it.. but i didnt say that
howcome people get away with 1g gte's in ta22's though?
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sun, 16 May 2004 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so does that mean i cant put a sigma engine in a TA22 Rolling Eyes
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sun, 16 May 2004 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 1GGTE is a 2.0 litre.

2000cc / 2.5 = 800kg minimum weight.
SetMeFree
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sun, 16 May 2004 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its illegal 2 have a 13b turbo in a gemi (syd)
frr33q
Regular

June 2003
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sun, 16 May 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can still legally get a 12a turbo into a TA22.
12a turbo = 1.2L = 1200cc displacement
1.2L x 2 = 2.4L = 2400cc is the legal forced iduction displacement
a TA22 weighs 960kg
960 x 2.5 = 2400cc (legal forced induction displacement).

GO THE ROTORS!!!!! Evil or Very Mad
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Sun, 16 May 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why 12a when u can go a 1g gte though?
i guess 12a weighs heaps less to let car handle better

[Updated on: Sun, 16 May 2004 11:24]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Mon, 17 May 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
should PM rotatr as he has that nutter 13b turbo ta22 i think it is with tubs and all and he said it is street legal, that is in NSW I think though
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Mon, 17 May 2004 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Interesting reading. From what I gathered from reading this thread, there is a limit on engine displacement based on the weight of the vehicle it is to be put in? What are the rules down there specifically? What is this engineering test? Is it mandatory? Do cars need to be emissions tested there? Does this mean the end of crazy modified cars in Oz?

This sounds terrible. It's bad enough we have to waste our time on emissions tests here every two years, even though my vehicles pass every time. But to have to go through some engineering test too?

Time for all automobile fans in Australia to rally together and boot your members of parliment out and change the rules.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Mon, 17 May 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Engineering" isn't as bad as it sounds, it's really just a common sense check to stop people from doing stupid stuff, like wedging a big block V8 in a Corolla without upgrading the brakes. Would you want a contraption like that driving around your neighbourhood? I wouldn't!

Yes there are displacement limits but it's usually not necessary to go through an emissions test, which is just as well because you're pretty much guaranteed to fail. LOL!
walkie
Regular

October 2003
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Mon, 17 May 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here are some guidlines for light vehicle modifications.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/heavyvehicles/downloads/ vsi/vsi06.pdf

That's for NSW, but I'm sure that QLD would have something similar.
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Wed, 19 May 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info gents. I guess it's true what you said Norbie, but I thought Australians were all about mad, crazy horsepower cars, ("The last of the V8 Interceptors"-Mad Max). Love seeing what you guys came up with. Cool

Should be interesting to see how you guys get around the rules legally. I anticipate this will not slow you guys down much.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: why 13b turbo illegal in ta22(QLD) Wed, 19 May 2004 00:33 Go to previous message
one big problem is that a lot of ppl don't get cars engineered, so when they take someone else out, they are not insured

the australian registration rules are there to protect us and the innocent bystanders from prmanent damage Wink

you CAN get almost anything engineered if it is safe (such as a P51 merlin engine into an old chev!!!), but this requires certification in a clas known as "individually constructed vehicle" which means you need to comply with, or comply with the intent of ALL current ADR's (australian design rules).

what annoys me is that every school holidays, we get another "why isn't a 13B legal in such and such a car" you'd think after the 15th or 16th time they would get the idea.......

i think these people should just be directed to www.ausrotary in future... stop wasting bandwidth here (since they never listen)

Cya, Stewart
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:billet cams for 7MGTE
Next Topic:Before engineer's certificate
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 21:52:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059521198272705 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.