Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 17 May 2004 05:12 Go to next message
Alright, following on from the other threads i want to hear concise arguments about this. Why would people pick one over the other. Is it just because whats used in Japan must be the best?

Currently they are the same price, and both setup for short stroke. So they are equal on that level.

Which set should i get?

EDIT: Lets keep this on-topc, no talk of swaybars, springs, or anything in here. Ther are other threads for that.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 May 2004 05:49]

Send a private message to this user    
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 17 May 2004 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am in exactly the same boat. I dont know which way to go. Im leaning to the tokicos only because everyone on here is hailing them. But the question remains. Why are they better?

btw takai, not to drag this offtopic but what springs are you getting with the dampers?. .. either way.

-Andrew
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 17 May 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hard to isolate shock talk by itself. Its all part of the vehicle and driving package. What sort of driving will you be doing ? Most importantly, what springs will you run with the car ? Springs and shocks are a combination package that work together with each other. FWIW....I consider that the Tokico's about mid-way between Koni Red's and the Koni Sport Yellows. But ask yourself this, "What springs will work best with my choice of shocks ?"
Mitch.

[Updated on: Mon, 17 May 2004 07:48]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 17 May 2004 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True it is, but considering the same setup, but with matched springs, i want to know which one is preferable.
This comes about from the other thread where certain people were VERY vocal about baggin the Konis and preferring the Tokicos. However, those aforesaid people seem to have shut up about now.

Why is that guys.......
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 17 May 2004 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a pair of tokicos and they are great. All I got to say.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 17 May 2004 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tokico HTS's are adjustable in tiny incriments for any spring rate from 4 - 15kg/mm,more then enough for any road car thats for sure, They are exceptionally well made too with a very good service life. Being a japanese shock they are more suited to drift/grip driving in their valve rates (on smooth roads that is) then the slower reacting koni shocks are.

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 17 May 2004 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, a response.

So Tokico, more spring adjustment, and smaller/better valving.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 17 May 2004 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

So Tokico, more spring adjustment, and smaller/better valving.

you hit the nail on the head

koni's tend to be "slow" to shift compressed weight from what i hear
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 18 May 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
then the slower reacting koni shocks are ?

So we talking about low speed bump , or high speed bump adjustment , i didn't think the hts where adjustable in both ranges ? i thought the adjustment was just general adjustment to the bump control . What model of koni is this being compared to ? A red non adjustable , and yellow , damper/bump adjustable , or a sport , bump and rebound adjustable , or a koni race completely adjustable , high/low speed bump , rebound , bump .

slow" to shift compressed weight

low speed bump ?, this is aways higher in yellow konis than most shocks , i guess its because they make most of there shocks for european car which normal have high levels of anti dive .

ra23celica , i think that is a perfect decription of the HTS , but i have only driven with these fitted with trd springs which i have no idea of the rating , With that car the shocks could be turned up harder than the spring rate , and softer , so i seemed like a really good package .

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 18 May 2004 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yellows, Street/Race valving.
Damper/Bump/Rebound adjust
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 18 May 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 10:08

Yellows, Street/Race valving.
Damper/Bump/Rebound adjust

So this is what there are being compared with ?

Then go the HTS , unless you are going to get the spring graph and valve the shock to the spring correctly . The adjustment range makes a very small difference on the yellows , there is no such thing as race valving , they are just re-valved to a harder rate than normal . Something to think about if you already had a set of REDs would be re-valved to the correct rate for the spring , this mite sound silly , but some models of REDs for the rear of alfas have a larger body than the yellows , so once
re-valved this makes them much better than the yellow could ever be . Sorry base modified class 2002 , yes i did cheat with the class rules abit Laughing
sixteenv
Occasional Poster

March 2003
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 18 May 2004 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A little sidetrack but:

where in oz can i find tokicos?
Or must i order from the states or something?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 18 May 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Afaik they are overseas import only (Japan/America).
Another reason why the konis are a bit more desirable.
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 18 May 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i heard from club4ag.com(i think it's also stated in the tokico website) the adjustability of the tokico's are to accommodate spring rates from 2.5kg to 15kg.
And they're highly regard as made for AE86!

And also the adjustability of HTS is infinite, other than how many -ways ... if u understand what i mean.

for the same price, there's no way u should choose koni over HTS.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 18 May 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Has anyone tried to get support for the Tokicos. Things like blown seals or dead valves.
Are these readily available in Australia.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 18 May 2004 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i suppose you guys new that the racing AE86 s here had Bilsteins in them frt and rear they pulled out the trd 1s or tokicos and ran the bilys instead there is even a trd no for the strut legs to take the big bilsteins for the frt and rear my 2 cents of info
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 18 May 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trying to fit Bilsteins in the hilux/corona struts is too hard, as well as fitting the rears in for coilover setup.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 25 May 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just going to bump this up, as i found soem useful info.

also, if anyone is interested in a possible group buy of some tokicos, let me know as i would be interested in reducing the postage cost or something.

here is a schematic i found after much babelfishing and guess clicking

http://img68.photobucket.com/albums/v207/levintrueno/tokico_HTS_102.jpg

so there you have it, the front struts have 125 mm or around 5 inches of total travel, at first i though this was stuff all, but i jacked my car up and down and i think it will be fine.

also, i think i can get away with just getting springs made for my standard struts, wont have to go coilover yet.

[Updated on: Tue, 25 May 2004 11:34]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 25 May 2004 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can get a full set of 4 brand new HTS's for around 900 if anyones interested.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 25 May 2004 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon, may want to rethink that price. I have had quotes for $750 (depending on exchange rate) shipped from Japan to my door.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 25 May 2004 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai is that for the hts102's or the hts104's?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 25 May 2004 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im guessing thats for the tokico illimuna's, HTS's normally retail for a fair wack more, they are NOT cheap.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Wed, 26 May 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the tokico HTS 102 sell on tokico's "online store" for 45,000 yen, which is ROUGHLY 500 bucks.

takai, i think we are looking at the same source, if their name has something to do with "green" and they sell them for 44,100 yen or so.

wanna see about a group buy?

and anyone else, what is the difference betseen HTS 102, HTS 103 and HTS 104? the latter seem heaps cheaper (like 25000 yen) and i am almost considering getting them depending on how they are different.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Wed, 26 May 2004 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shiny: yep, same dealer.

This is the exact quote from them:
Quote:

Pricing information as requested:
TOKICO HTS 102 AE86: 44,179 yen
Shipping: 15,200 yen
TOTAL: 59,379 yen AU$772

I will check to see if its cheaper shipping for 2 sets.
The problem with group buys is customs.

EDIT: Crazy exchange rates, my last quote was for $744

[Updated on: Wed, 26 May 2004 01:17]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Wed, 26 May 2004 01:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just ask them to label them "warranty returns" or say they are illuminas or something Laughing

you would think it would have to be cheaper to send 2 sets!

let me know what you find out, id email them but no point two people doign it, ask them about multible sets, as opposed to just 2 sets.

im sure we could bully someone else into getting a set too

need to work out what spacers ill need, and need to get some coilover threads too

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Thu, 27 May 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All in all its about $20 cheaper, but part of the discount has been absorbed by the demise of our dollar.
Tis a crappy one, i say each for their own.

BTW. ive had stuff shipped by them before, and they are good.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Thu, 27 May 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20 bucks, hardly worth it then Very Happy

glad to hear they are good, i was going to start collecting feedback about them, a mate of mine said "dont tell too many people about these guys" NFI why he said that though.

i have an alternate supplier lined up, but all things considered i dont mind paying 750 bucks for "the" AE86 shocks.

do you know if they come with the adjusting key? you would think they would have to, and do you use one key for bound and another for rebound, or what?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Thu, 27 May 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, as you have probably guessed im going with the Tokicos now, even over the Koni parts availability.
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 05 September 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
now that the Tokico HTS 102s are discontinued what else is jst as good?
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 05 September 2005 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bilstein.
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 05 September 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for you reply but that doesnt really help me much, can you plz be a bit more spacific?

also were can these be bought from and prices?

thanks ben
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 05 September 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry dude I thought since you were on the net you might have seen google before.

http://www.bilstein.com.au/

For prices call any of the places here:

http://www.heasmans.com.au/bilstein/contact/contac t.html
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 05 September 2005 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
um waht type do you recomend there is alot to chose from there
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 05 September 2005 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tokico HTS 102's are discontinued?
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 05 September 2005 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i asked a few places if they still could get them and they said that there sicontinued of not long ago, if you can tell me were i might be able to get them plz tell me.
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 05 September 2005 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EBAY
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 05 September 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
negative to ebay, nothing on there
pepsicola
Forums Junkie

August 2002

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 05 September 2005 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KYB AGX
but 4 way adjustable only. someone said hardest setting is as good as tokico.
not available for sprinter thou
but u can get:
MR2 AW11 rear shorts for the front
and some other rear shocks for the rear(commodore?)
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Mon, 05 September 2005 21:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do blisten make a similar product to the HTS's or do you need to specify shocks from another vehicle for the correct stroke length?
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 06 September 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kyb hmmm.
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 06 September 2005 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can still buy tockico illumina's

edit*not sure if the ones below are illumina adj? *

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Corolla-85-87-GTS-S R5-AE86-Tokico-Shocks_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ3 3590QQitemZ7979481917QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

i have an older version of them and they are seems very good, and quite hard on the hardest setting

there was 102s on ebay still availble only 1 week ago, must have totally sold out everywhere ask at http://www.visionr.com.au/ maybe he can still get them

[Updated on: Tue, 06 September 2005 07:02]

.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 06 September 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are they tockico illumina's as good as the hts or not, y do they always stop making the good products?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 06 September 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
.wolfwood wrote on Tue, 06 September 2005 18:05

are they tockico illumina's as good as the hts or not, y do they always stop making the good products?

becuase cheap arses stop buying them new and buy shitty used ones from japan/ebay instead Wink

there's not that much of a market for shopping trolleys, when the vast majority of ppl will not pay for things.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 06 September 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
.wolfwood wrote on Tue, 06 September 2005 18:05

, y do they always stop making the good products?

because (pretend) sprinters are now 20 years old.
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 06 September 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahh ha, now i gota find something else to use thats jsut as good. might be hard to find that.. always my luck
fOOZ86
Regular

May 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Tue, 06 September 2005 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have they discontinued the TRD ones too? Neutral

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Fri, 09 September 2005 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here ya go bunnykins

and no i have nothing to do with buying off yahoo.

http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g3469 5028
http://page10.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/m199 87677
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Fri, 09 September 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pepsicola wrote on Tue, 06 September 2005 01:23

KYB AGX
not available for sprinter thou

not true.

i've got 5 sets at the moment for sale at work...they're not available in australia for ae86...but from other countries..and once you know what to look for Very Happy

it's true also that the valving on their hardest setting is close to HTS102's. i pulled the 1o2's out of the rear of my 86 to test it.

.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sat, 10 September 2005 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas - those shocks arnt the ones that you use to build coilovers with are they, i thought that the didnt have they seat type things on them, i could be wrong though
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sat, 10 September 2005 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seems like the pics in the link oldcorolla's posted was for another car.

yet, im sure that the ae86 ones are actually for sale.
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sat, 10 September 2005 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh.. well i cant really read japanese so yer kinda makes it hard.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sat, 10 September 2005 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to be honest, i couldn't give a shit.. the ad said AE86 and HTS102.. what more do you want?? anyway, it's your problem Wink just get some shocks that much your springs and stop being be bloody pedantic/elitist about tokico's...]

get over it.
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sat, 10 September 2005 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well fu(k im sooo sory, jesus crist i just herd taht there isnt really anything as good as them so i wanted them, fu(king hell man chill out.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sat, 10 September 2005 22:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are BUCKET loads of shocks which absolutely piss all over the Tokicos.
Bilstein
Ohlins
and many more than i care not to think of just yet (too early).

Stop having a hissy, and go out and research. Stew has provided you with a heap of links, go actually do something.

oldcorollas: PS. Real sprinters are even older. And thats why you cant even get panels for them Razz
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sun, 11 September 2005 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude im nt having a hissy, i am thankfull that ppl have tryed to help me, im not very experenced when it comes to cars so i need as much help as i can get.

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sun, 11 September 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
.wolfwood wrote on Sun, 11 September 2005 03:12

well fu(k im sooo sory, jesus crist i just herd taht there isnt really anything as good as them so i wanted them, fu(king hell man chill out.

Rolling Eyes
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sun, 11 September 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
had a look at the Bilstein, there are so many o choose from, i don really know were to start, any sugestions for models, plz help me, tahts if you dont mind

also looked at the Ohlins, they look awsome but they dont make anything for toyotas

[Updated on: Sun, 11 September 2005 04:08]

KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sun, 11 September 2005 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wont matter one way or another which shocks you get just get any sports shocks, KYB or something pedders whatever, doesnt matter you wont notice any difference anyway for an extra $500, unless your gonna become some elite drifter or take your car to track days alot
.wolfwood
Regular

February 2005
Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sun, 11 September 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i want to get into drifting but i got shit suspention so i want to get something good and tahts gona last, this way i can take my car to the track
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Koni Yellows vs Tokico HTS 102s Sun, 11 September 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Well unless you have big bucks to spend then you may as well get the KYBs.
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tighter steering
Next Topic:How do you get a snapped bolt out of the head?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 06:09:15 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0077610015869141 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.