Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
turbotree
Regular

June 2003
Which BOV is the best Mon, 17 May 2004 12:10 Go to next message
Which BOV has best sound and performance, I have been told Greddy Type R and Blitz is pretty good, how bout apexi and other brand?
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Which BOV is the best Mon, 17 May 2004 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKS SSQ.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Mon, 17 May 2004 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i use a turbo smart type II BOV, i'm happy with it.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Mon, 17 May 2004 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pretty much any BOV, including the one fitted from the factory, will "perform" just fine. As for sound, that's a purely subjective thing but personally I'd prefer totally silent. Yet another reason to keep the stocker!
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Mon, 17 May 2004 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Blow off valve sound and performance are mutually exclusive.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Mon, 17 May 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and what the hell does it mean whey the advertise the Blitz BOV's to handle up to 800hp? I really don't understand that?

I like my stocko also unless it leaks it will be staying there.
pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Mon, 17 May 2004 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 17 May 2004 23:17

Pretty much any BOV, including the one fitted from the factory, will "perform" just fine. As for sound, that's a purely subjective thing but personally I'd prefer totally silent. Yet another reason to keep the stocker!

norbie gets the pro_ke seal of approval
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Mon, 17 May 2004 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Mon, 17 May 2004 23:33

and what the hell does it mean whey the advertise the Blitz BOV's to handle up to 800hp? I really don't understand that?

what would the horsepower have to do with a BOV? Its the psi that it has to deal with not the hp.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Which BOV is the best Mon, 17 May 2004 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draza wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 06:44

Chris Davey wrote on Mon, 17 May 2004 23:33

what would the horsepower have to do with a BOV? Its the psi that it has to deal with not the hp.

probably trying to indicate that an engine with a turbo producing that much power will also be producing alot of boost
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Mon, 17 May 2004 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i guess for those that know bugger all it sounds better saying 800hp than saying 35psi.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Mon, 17 May 2004 22:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
think about it, a BOV (or an engine) has to deal with flow rate of air as well as boost pressure,

rating a BOV at 800 hp is entirely valid, it means that it will pass 800hp of air, as opposed to a small one, get it?

although you could just use four cheap ones, which is i would probably do....
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No BOV will flow "800hp of air". Do you have any idea how much air that is??

No, rating a BOV to 800hp is nothing more than a wank. I reckon most factory BOV's would work OK at that power level, except they'd probably leak because of the higher pressures involved. That's really the only valid reason to upgrade your BOV, and in some cases this is necessary with even modest boost increases (eg MA70).
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 04:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 13:33

except they'd probably leak because of the higher pressures involved. That's really the only valid reason to upgrade your BOV....

thats probably the last reason to want to upgrade, the main reason to upgrade is for street cred. Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're right of course. My bad.

I might add that my Blowoff Can (tm) makes my Supra sound like a city bus. SIK!!
SillyCar88
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've discussed this with a few mates, because when i get my 3s-gte (st205) it will come with the stock bosch bov, which is fine, but in my opinion a plumb-back bov would suit me best personally because it doesn't vent out into the atmosphere, which = less noise, but it really depends on how much power you're making as an atmospheric bov would suit something with lots of power or a rice box that loves the sound, thats why drag cars use them because they don't have to worry about noise and it lets off extreme levels of pressure. If your making 800hp then your going to deal with higher levels of pressure, right.
But i've never really heard of bov being rated by hp, only turbos.???

Someone please shut me down if i am wrong, i won't care, this is just my understanding, so if i am wrong it will help me understand, right.
Thanks
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
while we're on the subject, anyone got a prof sheepdog forsale? if so pm me. Very Happy
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Blow off valve sound and performance are mutually exclusive.

Okay this is a legitimate question - if that is the case then why do all world rally cars etc have loud(ish) blow off valves?
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 07:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not lately they arent. and i would say its because an externally venting one has the potential to discharge more air than a plumb-back one which has to redirect the air to a pipe. they also dont have to worry about noise polution Rolling Eyes
turbotree
Regular

June 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how do u know if your bov is leaking ?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A plumbed back (re-circulating to be technically correct) BOV will actually outperform a vented to air jobby if it is thoughtfully installed, all while sounding 385 million percent better.

A large compressor will be pumping a lot of air on closed throttle - meaning that the BOV needs to be able to cope (I can tell you that the Turbosmart type III on my car struggles to cope with the GT30 - I base this judgement on the fact that I can hear compressor surge on gear changes).

I agree with Norbie - 800hp is a shitload of air and that it is little more than a nice sales figure.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why should any blow off valve leak, when there is supposed to be equal pressure on both sides of the valve when on boost? Only reason I can see is if your BOV is mounted before the intercooler, and you have a large pressure drop across the intercooler core, in which case the pressure on top of the valve (referenced through the vacuum/boost hose to the inlet manifold) might be 10psi, whereas the pressure under the valve was 14psi (assuming in this case a 4psi pressure drop across the cooler)

agree/disagree? Confused

mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i never wanted to touch my factory BOV it was so responsive!
the time came when my factory one stuffed up so i installed one that some one had given to me (thanks man you know who you are)...I WAS AMAZED!!! this BOV was more responsive that the factory one!!!

so guyz i'm backing the GFB (Go Fast Bits) all day every day i was very suprised to say the least!!!
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 14:17

Norbie wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 13:33

except they'd probably leak because of the higher pressures involved. That's really the only valid reason to upgrade your BOV....

thats probably the last reason to want to upgrade, the main reason to upgrade is for street cred. Very Happy

how can you argue with logic like that? Razz
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
To say there is no benefit to having a High performance BOV is total crap. Just as bad however is to beleive there is any significant performance gain to be had by having one.

There is a need to have a high flowing BOV when coupled with a large turbo. Even the most expensive BOVs are not up to some performance applications, HKS Super sequential would have to be the best example, lots of intricate ricey parts and bees dick flow capacity. They do however produce high air velocity (hence big noise) even on pissy little stock turbo setups.

A decent turbocharger pumps enough at a suddenly closed throttle that a small bov cannot release enough and impeller reversion occurs (not compressor surge) which can be heard as air escapes past the impeller blades and out the air filter. This is often mistaken by NA enthusiasts, children and ricers as the "fully sick BOV noise".

Ever noticed that the more you tighten the spring on your BOV the funkier the noises it produces ?? Its because it isnt opening - perhapps at all - and all you are hearing is your turbo spinning the wrong way!!

So my point - big BOVs are best.

I have a Blitz DD BOV - probably the biggest of the ricer bovs - and most expensive. But for serious performance it will not be enough for a big single application.

Go the Vortech Mondo or the big bad Greddy.

If you cant fit your mobile phone in the outlet you are wasting your time !

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not trying to start an argument, but the noise is not necessarily impeller reversion - it slows down so that pressured air cannot be contained by the impeller - that is compressor surge which is air reversion - absolutely. Compressor reversion is a worst case scenario (small turbos with low inertia coupled with lots of boost will reverse easier) and can result in broken turbine shafts.

I've heard people ask on a few occasions about which BOV that somebody has got - when indeed there was no BOV fitted - and then go on to challenge the response when told that there is no BOV.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I've heard people ask on a few occasions about which BOV that somebody has got - when indeed there was no BOV fitted - and then go on to challenge the response when told that there is no BOV.

Hmm yes i've had people question what BOV I have more than once now. I let them know there isn't one in use. They then go on and inform me that I must be wrong and there is indeed a BOV in there somewhere.

Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Tue, 18 May 2004 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Agreed - not trying to start arguments - I did sound a little aggressive.

Compressor Surge is a term widely overused much like "Lag" by many with a very loose understanding of turbocharger behaviour.

Obviously not the case with Jase.

I hadnt really thought of this situation as being surge - as surge in the on boost sense(the usual use of the term)would never result in impeller reversion as it can with the closed throttle situation. But Jase is right, up to the point of reversion this effect should be called surge.

Still supports my theory of the mobile phone test for BOV flow.

JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Wed, 19 May 2004 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some good points being raised but one that has been missed is the design used. Piston types, like turbosmart etc, are easier/cheaper to make but from my experience don't seem to have the flow capacity of the valve type BOVs. I have both a GReddy Type R (BIG piston) and a turbosmart type II and both work well but the GReddy is clearly the better performer.

The valve type design simply allows better airflow and more flow per movement as well.

Boost isn't the only consideration either, mass flow is also important as i think has been mentioned. Both reversion and surge seem to increase as the mass of air moved increases. Conceptually this seems logical to me but i'm not sure of the exact physics. A bigger BOV helps by moving more air. On the same engine at the same boost (and no leaks) a Blitz BOV did almost nothing to reduce reversion whereas the Type II cured it completely.

On my TT V8 reversion is HUGE, i have no BOV as yet and the noise on gear change is louder than most BOV's you'll hear. I have my fav BOV, a GReddy Type R ready to go on asap. It'll be plumb back so hopefully it'll quieten things up a lot.

as an aside i have a spare Type R FS is any is chasing one. Hell expensive new but i'm open to offers.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Wed, 19 May 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All is well Matt - I didn't want to start on a physics lesson Razz since you are doing so well at it..
Special Ed
Regular

November 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Wed, 19 May 2004 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
YelloRolla wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 18:40

I didn't want to start on a physics lesson Razz since you are doing so well at it..

I may have to take industrial action if you were to do that. Gotta protect my livelyhood.

Just think yourself lucky I didnt set you any homework.

pro_ke
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Wed, 19 May 2004 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an interesting point to note is that the official mazda line on why BOVs are fitted to their turbo rx7s from the factory is 'to reduce turbo noise'

also note that f1 cars never used bovs in the 80s and indy cars dont either...

i dont see any reason to 'not' use one but if i had a turbo car its not something i would personally spend any money on. actually i would probably never build or buy a turbocharged car so its of no concern to me Wink

ab
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Which BOV is the best Wed, 19 May 2004 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
o/t again but...
does anyone have any opinions on the sard R2D2 bov's? i know they arent recirc but im more concerned with flow capability. needs to handle approx 22psi on a ct26/t4. was wanting a recirc but i figure if im driving around town i wont be on boost so wont make noise anyway unless i push it Rolling Eyes
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Wed, 19 May 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do not believe that if you are not on boost that your BOV will not make noise - they are quite loud when off boost even because the comp is spinning and is moving plenty of air, the BOV then opens because of a vacuum signal in the plenum. I got shitted with the noise of my BOV in about 2 days - but I am tolerant because I haven't done anything to change it yet Rolling Eyes
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Wed, 19 May 2004 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just a stupid question but on time i heard from soemone or rear can't remember but are BOV to teh atmosphere illegal well in queensland??

Nezza Cool
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Wed, 19 May 2004 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illegal in NSW too - the nice officers at Thornleigh maccas pointed this out for me; along with some other things as well Rolling Eyes
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Which BOV is the best Wed, 19 May 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm ok, well i need my car legit cause i'm crusing around on 1 point for 12months thingy, so i might wait for a GFB stealth/race one. race mode for when u want to so off, but stealth the other 90% of time.

Nezza Cool
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Which BOV is the best Wed, 19 May 2004 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 18:40

Why should any blow off valve leak, when there is supposed to be equal pressure on both sides of the valve when on boost?

This I'd also like to know, as I'm planning on using one of the little black plastic bosch bovs, which I've heard can leak above 1bar. If there's equal boost pressure on both sides of the BOVs diaphragm, plus the pressure of a spring on the helping keep it closed, it should stay closed. Unless maybe there's less area for the pressure to act on on the map signal side.
In which case, how well would plumbing the BOV up backwards work, so instead of the vented air pushing against the valve to open it, it's pushing it closed until the manifolds vacuum signal was enough to open the valve against this pressure to vent said pressure.
Does anyone reckon this would work?
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Which BOV is the best Wed, 19 May 2004 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
huh? getting way to tech there dewd just hook her up as normal and it'll work fine...the GFB valve i'm using works awsome (more responsive than stock) and i sware my car feels stronger now (i think the stokie was leaking alittle though) but yeah works fine...

i had used a turbosmart one in my car (the one with the trumpet) and i must say that it was an absolute peice of rubbish way to slow!!!comming off the throttle and jumping on again the valve would stay open to long and drive me nuts Twisted Evil
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: Which BOV is the best Thu, 20 May 2004 10:48 Go to previous message
in regards to BOV operation off boost, wouldnt this only apply in those sequential type valves? i mean if its the piston type, wouldnt a vacuum infact help pull it closed? i thought only ones like the HKS SSQ worked on pressure variations?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ta22 dash pad..??
Next Topic:What to make turbo header Collector out of?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 17:05:26 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075991153717041 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.