Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Corolla SX info please Mon, 17 May 2004 02:26 Go to next message
can you guys please tell me as much as possible on the Corolla SX...

all i know is that they are around 1988 (i think) have the 100kw engine (4AGE?) and they are all manual...

i would like a lot more info if you could, thankyou in advance!
  Send a private message to this user    
bigg willie style
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Corolla SX info please Mon, 17 May 2004 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heres a little more

http://4age.net/tech/articles_stats.htm
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Mon, 17 May 2004 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you want to know? they where made from 1988-1992 etc
ask away!
mick
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Mon, 17 May 2004 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it was 1989 to 1991 and then the gti's were 91 - 93.
only came in red and white the gti's came in charcol grey as well. all manual
in the dash they have extra dials oil pres, battery and something else i think
also came with the tail gate spoiler around the rear window (hatch)
umm cant think at the moment
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: Corolla SX info please Mon, 17 May 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanx for the info guys...how much am i lookin at getting one for? normal and gti?

are they generally a good car to drive? or do they feel like crap?

what else is diff in the gti's?
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: Corolla SX info please Mon, 17 May 2004 23:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are they AE92 or somethign else?
gti23q
Regular

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Mon, 17 May 2004 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They can be AE92 or AE93. To be honest, I'm not sure what the difference is.

They're a very strong little car and extremely fun to drive - one of the reviest motors you could get. I've now owned three 4AGE powered cars and all have been totally reliable and rewarding to drive. I also owned a SSS which goes harder but I didn't find it as entertaining to drive.

Prices will be all over the shop depending on condition and kilometres. Most of these will now be approaching or have already exceeded 200kms and you prob wouldn't pay more than 6-6.5k for one. My current rolla ('92 gti) is a one owner car with 87000kms and I paid 9k for it. Hope this helps.
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Corolla SX info please Tue, 18 May 2004 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The AE93 is the seca body style. Longer hatch, more boot space.
Isn't the GTi a cut down version of the SX? I thought they took out things like power windows and the like to compete with the Swift GTi price range.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Tue, 18 May 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shraka thats right they did take all the options out of it its is just a basic rolla with the bigger dash like the sx and the rear spoiler, they did this so that it could compete against the suzuki GTI, so there fore the gti's were a cheaper option then the sx.

if your lucky enoough u may find an sx rolla with sun roof and fully electics... Hard to find for a good price. As these rollas have certianly kept value.
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: Corolla SX info please Tue, 18 May 2004 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont like the look of the seca, look really weird to me...

whats the 0-100 and 1/4mile time diff between sx and gti?
i tihnk sx is 9.3 0-100 and 16 1/4mile or something...

what would you guys recommend? i think the sx would be a better choice, sounds like it doesnt lack quality compared to the gti. dont get me wrong, the gti souds great n that spoiler looks quite good but i think the sx would be more suited to my needs...

what do they redline at? my mates old rolla (now has an R34!!) used to redline at bout 7800 i think...

know of any decent ones for sale?
gti23q
Regular

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Tue, 18 May 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My GTi is an AE93 as well so it's not just the Seca.
The SX has nicer interior than the GTi and came with power mirrors. Central locking and power windows were options. The GTi has colour coding, bigger front bakes, nicer front bar (in my opinion) and nicer tail lights. The GTi is also a little lighter than the SX. Someone told me the GTI has an upgraded front suspension also but that was the last I ever heard of that.

As for the seca, I reckon they look real nice once they're lowered.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Tue, 18 May 2004 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not that ugly!
mick

http://www.toymods.org.au/MIck_Alexander_AE92b.jpg
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Tue, 18 May 2004 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
handling wise the seca is much better for the simple reason the shape of the car, its balanced much better.
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: Corolla SX info please Tue, 18 May 2004 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gti23q, you said the gti was colour coded...i thought the sx also had colour coded bumpers? what about the mirrors and door handles?

so the gti is a lil quicker at the expense of refinements such as the trim and the prettyness...

can someone please show me the diff between gti and sx bumper?
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Tue, 18 May 2004 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
both have colour coded bumpers but i do belive the mirrors are colour coded on the gti and the sx have black plastic. i dont know about the gti door handles but on the sx these are black.... ewither way they are not hard to get painted if uur that worried
gti23q
Regular

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Tue, 18 May 2004 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rear hatch spoiler and door handles are colour coded on the gti whereas they're black on the sx. Mirrors were not colour coded on either.

The bars on the sx and gti are the same as any other series 1 vs series 2 corolla (except for colour coding and the fact that the sx has an attached lip on the bottom). I personally think the gti bar looks 'fatter' but horses for courses.

The gti is also rarer (and therefore more exclusive lol).

As for seca having better handling, I don't agree. I've owned 2 gti's and 1 seca and the seca was the sloppiest. I think the rolla has the better setup because it's got less weight over the rear wheels and less overhang as well.
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: Corolla SX info please Wed, 19 May 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
before you guys mentioned how they made the gti version to compete with the swift gti...i thought they were slow? coz theyve only got the 1.3L engine compared to the rollas 1.6L...

i like the spoiler on the gti, but again, the sx sounds better IMO. What would be the best places to look for sx or gti?
gti23q
Regular

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Wed, 19 May 2004 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think it was made to compete with the swift at all.

I think Toyota produce the gti to distinguish it more from the seca sx. The seca sx was the sports-luxury variant (with power options) whereas the gti was just the sports. This is why the official name of the gti is 'gti sports'.

There is no competition for the swift - the rolla smacks it everytime and looks nicer as well.
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: Corolla SX info please Wed, 19 May 2004 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats what i thought...

are there major time diff's between sx and gti? im thinkin maybe like 0.1 or 0.2sec diff...coz of the fact its lighter...

do any companies make a replica or distribute the gti wing?
gti23q
Regular

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Wed, 19 May 2004 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The sx has the same hatch spoiler. It's just not colour coded (they're all black).
Rod83
Regular

August 2003
Re: Corolla SX info please Wed, 19 May 2004 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The differences between the sx and gti are shown here:

http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 1061

The hatch wings are very hard to come by, if you want them colour coded you would be better off painting the sx one which is what I have done.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Wed, 19 May 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seca are the better handling car as they have longer wheel base and better balance. if you where to build a race car you would do a seca.
mick
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Corolla SX info please Wed, 19 May 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gti23q wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 09:15

As for seca having better handling, I don't agree. I've owned 2 gti's and 1 seca and the seca was the sloppiest. I think the rolla has the better setup because it's got less weight over the rear wheels and less overhang as well.

The suspension could have been old/not lowered correctly or something in the seca.

Then again, I'm not sure.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Corolla SX info please Wed, 19 May 2004 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shraka wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 21:41

gti23q wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 09:15

The suspension could have been old/not lowered correctly or something in the seca.

Then again, I'm not sure.

My '90 Seca handled better than my new sedan...

I've driven both the AE92/93 hatch & Seca & my choice would be the Seca

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2004 02:36]

tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Corolla SX info please Wed, 19 May 2004 20:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One thing to keep in mid is that the paint quality is much better on the S2 Secas and GTI's
Fro-Daddy
Regular

May 2004
Re: Corolla SX info please Thu, 20 May 2004 02:30 Go to previous message
whats the deal with the paint? i thought the sx and gti would use the same type/brand/quality of paint...seeing as they are very very alike
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Honda Eedjit
Next Topic:Ae86 drift, this is insane
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 09:09:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051259994506836 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.