Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Auto tranny slipping Wed, 19 May 2004 05:26 Go to next message
Went to take the celica for its first test drive yesterday and there was no power at the wheels!!

Its an auto tranny, I put it in reverse and nothing happened! After reving to about 4000 it started to slowly back out... clearly its not going anywhere fast. Yes it has plenty of oil in it.
As far as I know its the original auto tranny out of the st162.

Spoke to a mechanic today and he says it could be very expensive depending on what is wrong - starting at over $1k at least.

Would you guys agree with that?
  Send a private message to this user    
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Auto tranny slipping Wed, 19 May 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes a mate of mine with an old XE falcon his auto was doing some weird things(not shifting in gears and for some reason netrual was drive Confused) that why he sold it as his rego was due and he said that if it was dearer to fix then his rego he's selling it. the problem was gunna cost $1500 to fix!! It would more then likly be cheaper to get another box from somewhere
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Auto tranny slipping Wed, 19 May 2004 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

my mates car did the same thing and we had no idea how to fix it but i'll tell you about it anyway cos i like posting Wink

basically you need to isolate what the problem is...

this may sound stupid, but how did you check the oil level?

must be in neutral (or is it park?) and engine idling. when you take out the dipstick (after wiping first) MAKE SURE that the oil is on BOTH SIDES of the dipstick!!!!!!!!!
i cannot stress this enough Very Happy

my poor little brother made that mistake with his elantra... $4000 later.......

$1K is for disassembly... it's a lot of labour to pull apart an auto box.

what is the history of the box? did it used to go? made absolutely sure it has oil on both sides of dipstick when engine idling?

find a friendly auto box mechanic to come and look at it for you in return for a few beers after work Wink

Cya, Stewart
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Auto tranny slipping Wed, 19 May 2004 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 16:48

Quote:

my mates car did the same thing and we had no idea how to fix it but i'll tell you about it anyway cos i like posting Wink

basically you need to isolate what the problem is...

this may sound stupid, but how did you check the oil level?

must be in neutral (or is it park?) and engine idling. when you take out the dipstick (after wiping first) MAKE SURE that the oil is on BOTH SIDES of the dipstick!!!!!!!!!
i cannot stress this enough Very Happy

my poor little brother made that mistake with his elantra... $4000 later.......

$1K is for disassembly... it's a lot of labour to pull apart an auto box.

what is the history of the box? did it used to go? made absolutely sure it has oil on both sides of dipstick when engine idling?

find a friendly auto box mechanic to come and look at it for you in return for a few beers after work Wink

Cya, Stewart

ooohhh a personal attack hey? Wink yeah well at least I know its park you KEYBOARD WARRIOR! leave me alone I don't comement about your crap!

prator sorry about hijacking the thread but anyway
It could be something like an Incorrectly adjusted selection cable or a Incorrect or contaminated transmission fluid as well what is it like in Drive range? as it could also be an inncorectly adjusted kickdown cable,or the cable is disconected unless you know a fair bit about autos I don't recommened you take the tranny out and try and give it a overhaul yourself as extensive knowledge and equipment is required

Cya,Michael

couldn't your google search find any info on that! Wink
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Auto tranny slipping Wed, 19 May 2004 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh ok, I'll go check it again.

The gearbox was fine! Confused The engine siezed and I sent it to the mechanic to drop the 3sgte in it, and have spent the last month or so hooking it all up. Could it have been something he did?
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Auto tranny slipping Wed, 19 May 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It probably needs either the selector cable adjusted or the kickdown cable adjusted or reconected (if its slipping in drive range) my mate had too adjust his kickdown cable in his falcon when he got a recon motor put in with his gearbox the one who I told you before sold his because of problems 6 months later so I do KNOW and me mate did this HIMSELF! so he KNOWS as well sorry still annoyed about the post aimed at me before with a bit of luck thats all it is hope nothing ends up being to costly Smile
praetor
Regular

October 2003
Re: Auto tranny slipping Wed, 19 May 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everything just needs alittle oil Very Happy

I've just taken the car for a drive round the block after filling the gearbox with oil Very Happy I took the first reading when it was off...after putting 2lts of oil into it it now drives Very Happy Feeling pretty good now, just gotta get that vacumn leak sorted now...
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Auto tranny slipping Wed, 19 May 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
everyones an expert keyboard warrior...

oh look... my advice was correct Razz

heh heh...

no personal attack mick, just most of your posts seem to be... "well a mates car did this, i don't know what it was"

or maybe i'm just remembering a couple of them.. in which case i apologise

gomen nasai

syonara, Schuato san

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Auto tranny slipping Wed, 19 May 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Public apologies Mick, you are a helpful chappy... i was just still amused by this effort.. maybe it was the gemmi reference Wink

Quote:

I'd say it's just backfiring the same thing happened with a mates gemini when we put a new motor in it he just got it tuned and it wen't well from there good luck on finding what the problem is but thats what i think it is

LOL Very Happy
Cya, Stewart
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: Auto tranny slipping Wed, 19 May 2004 11:42 Go to previous message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 21:18

Public apologies Mick, you are a helpful chappy... i was just still amused by this effort.. maybe it was the gemmi reference Wink

Quote:

I'd say it's just backfiring the same thing happened with a mates gemini when we put a new motor in it he just got it tuned and it wen't well from there good luck on finding what the problem is but thats what i think it is

LOL Very Happy
Cya, Stewart

Laughing smartarse! Laughing
its cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Why is my thermostat not opening!
Next Topic:issues hooking up elec dizzy to my 18RG
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 13:53:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005119800567627 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.