Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » [AE86] Lets talk steering racks !

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

[AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Tue, 18 May 2004 13:23 Go to next message
hey guys

since purchasing some kouki power steering knuckles this week
and i already have a GTV rack (which is basically a shorter travel manual steering rack with powersteering knuckles from factory, only GTV's have this feature from factory i believe)

ive decided to produce some of these out of steel for everyone in aus (and usa)

now i need some info from you guys with aus sprinters (manual steering rack, no power steer)

1. how many turns lock to lock is your car?
2. what would you pay for a set of knuckles ? (that will turn your steering into a "3 turns lock to lock" just like mine)

[Updated on: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:12]

Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Tue, 18 May 2004 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am almost certain that mine is already less than 3 turns lock to lock, ill check when it isnt colding outside.

plus, putting in shorter knuckles wont reduce your "turns from lock to lock" as it will increase your lock as well as the ratio.

it will give you quicker steering though.

i'd pay what i would pay for powersteering knuckles, or 50 bucks or so??
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Tue, 18 May 2004 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have no idea what the heck u guys are talking about...mind explaining the rack thingy and others so i can go figure out..

ae86drift: still waiting for your bonnet picture.. Cool
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Tue, 18 May 2004 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay...
is your rack a standard rack? i dont think its less than 3 turns. it will be interesting to see

power steer gtapex is '2.6' turns
gtv manual is '2.9' (i say 3)
aus manual is ??

so if the steering is 'quicker'
that means it requires less turns to get it to move across the rack right?
so making it 'quicker' means shortening the amount of turns required right?

satoshi : sorry dude. forgot. remind me in a few days.

[Updated on: Tue, 18 May 2004 16:08]

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Tue, 18 May 2004 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd definitily be in for a set, provided they arent hideously expensive, and yes it's too cold and early to check my turns atm Smile

I'm going to wash it this afternoon, so I'll check then.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Tue, 18 May 2004 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theoretically AUS manual is 4turns, although most people report 3.5 turns lock to lock.
Sorry i cant test atm since my hubs and steering arms are all out, and i have no steering wheel Very Happy
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Tue, 18 May 2004 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine doest even turn twice
something like 1 full and the other one 25 degress less, after that it wont turn anymore
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 09:37

mine doest even turn twice
something like 1 full and the other one 25 degress less, after that it wont turn anymore

theres something wrong with your car.
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would love a quicker steering rack. I just checked mine aus spec and its 3.5 turns lock to lock.

Brad
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i just went out and checked mine....exactly 3.5 turns lock to lock

i have no idea what knuckles are worth...if shiny reckons $50 then i gather he's close....what would you be prepared to sell them for? how much would it cost you to produce?

bubbles: 1.25 turns + re your ass sliding out thread...get that checked out...doesnt sound safe
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they just cost me $180 (!!!) to actually buy them (bidding war...) so i can make copies.

these parts usually go for around $100 a set.

ill be thinking it will cost me around $80 a pair to make, not sure yet..

so including post $100 bucks a set id say, to your door
which is cheap for a rare part like this, new remember.

monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i'm 3-3.5 turns lock to lock also. And it's clean now too Very Happy http://users.bigpond.net.au/monkeymajik/car/86Glam .JPG
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice wheels monekey Smile

$100 sounds reasonable...forgive my ineptitude, i havent done much research on this but whats the downside...theres gotta be a catch...does it foul your wheel arch, strut etc etc?
Basically what i would like to know is what you need to take into consideration when applying this modification?

thanks garth Very Happy
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you are all getting a bit lost here . Regardless on turns lock to lock , there is one thing missing , the steering angle { wheel turn angle }from the kind of rack .

power steer gtapex is '2.6' turns { no steering lock , try a three point turn }

gtv manual is '2.9' (i say 3) more than the powersteering

But more steering angle with the "Aus manual is 3.5"

The racks are are very different from powersteering to non powersteering . the powersteering has 1 1/2 inchs less movement side to side {and a different subframe , thats why it requires the shorter steering arms , but this also goes with the offset of the arms , and the upper mounts .

To get less turns lock to lock it the rack is very easy , but this doesn't make for more steering lock{for all you drifters}
There is also the problems with car fitted with rcas , different lower control arms , different struts offset . There are ways around all of these issues , but most cause more problems with the steering alignment to the correct rear axis . As anyone with a Lj torana would know when turning around about at even a slow speed the front inner tyre squeals as it pushed by the rear and pulled by the outside wheel { maybe also the weight of a six in a four cylinder body } well maybe the toyota front end will never be that bad .
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monkeymajik wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 16:21

Yeah i'm 3-3.5 turns lock to lock also. And it's clean now too Very Happy http://users.bigpond.net.au/monkeymajik/car/86Glam .JPG

its now my new wallpaper!!

niiiice!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Tue, 18 May 2004 23:23

ive decided to produce some of these out of steel for everyone in aus (and usa)

Heya Garth,

are you sure this is engineerable?? almost all steering knuckles are made of cast iron due to it's cost, and also it's resistance to fatigue cracking.

whats the legal standpoint of them?

Cya, Stewart
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cast iron , bugger to machine there .
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86 wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 16:33

I think you are all getting a bit lost here . Regardless on turns lock to lock , there is one thing missing , the steering angle { wheel turn angle }from the kind of rack .

the purpose isnt to extend the amount of steering angle. Its to quicken the rack.

Quote:

power steer gtapex is '2.6' turns { no steering lock , try a three point turn }

what do you mean?

Quote:

gtv manual is '2.9' (i say 3) more than the powersteering

more turns? Well yes of course, but at a better angle (ie. turn circle is tighter)

Quote:

But more steering angle with the "Aus manual is 3.5"

your saying the manual rack has more angle and more turns? THIS is my point. With these arms you get the 3 turns lock to lock and the added bonus of the manual steering rack angle. Right?

Your basically saying the aus rack has a greater steering angle but with more turns? Right?

Quote:

The racks are are very different from powersteering to non powersteering . the powersteering has 1 1/2 inchs less movement side to side {and a different subframe , thats why it requires the shorter steering arms , but this also goes with the offset of the arms , and the upper mounts .

see here : http://www.digitalfunk.net/Garth/ae86/steeringracks.gif

Quote:

To get less turns lock to lock it the rack is very easy, but this doesn't make for more steering lock{for all you drifters}

the focus of this mod is to lessen the amount of turns required to get from the current amount of lock to lock. this mod will not increase lock angle as previously stated.

Quote:

There is also the problems with car fitted with rcas , different lower control arms , different struts offset . There are ways around all of these issues , but most cause more problems with the steering alignment to the correct rear axis . As anyone with a Lj torana would know when turning around about at even a slow speed the front inner tyre squeals as it pushed by the rear and pulled by the outside wheel { maybe also the weight of a six in a four cylinder body } well maybe the toyota front end will never be that bad .

as far as I know simon-ae86 has this mode, and rcas, and different and he has no such issues.

Simon. Confirm this for us?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was going to get say 100 pairs cast from moulds

these parts would be "race use only" for the most part, legal reasons and such..

not sure of the engineerability of them as yet as i havent produced any to check, but i will be.

i would imagine they would be okay. since being cast iron copies of oem equipment.

im putting feelers out basically. if the cons outweigh the pros ill can the project and sell off my current knuckles to someone else

im just trying to help everyone out with better parts. although it seems some people want to quash the idea....
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm i wonder what the hell my rack is then???
2 turns lock to lock safely, i f i go an extra quarter of a turn either side 14" tyres rub on the chassis.
It should have been a GTV rack but not so sure ???

Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE.
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just some input..mine is 3.5 turn to lock to lock..

the objective of this topic is...turn less better? or turn less with more angle is better??
Rolling Eyes

i'm lost... Laughing
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

hmmmm i wonder what the hell my rack is then???
2 turns lock to lock safely, i f i go an extra quarter of a turn either side 14" tyres rub on the chassis.
It should have been a GTV rack but not so sure ???

woah!! awesome

my rack is 3 turns and its a GTV for sure
thats werid man, well you cant complain!! Very Happy

is it power steer or no power steer?
could be power steer with short knuckles?

Quote:

just some input..mine is 3.5 turn to lock to lock..

the objective of this topic is...turn less better? or turn less with more angle is better??

i'm lost...

less turns lock to lock is the purpose of these knuckles
but for more angle you need specific arms and rods i believe

not sure
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CAST bugger that id take a set of billet ones for $100!lol ill supply the T7.
mick
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mick?
you think billet would be strong enough for this component?
isnt it a little bit pricey?

T7?
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any chance of a picture of exactly what they look like?
Billet would be STRONGER than cast, I have access to a CNC mill and a CNC lathe so I could possibly knock them up for the right price.
I also get really cheap prices on ally too. 7000 series would be fine. But for the same price I can get another grade above 7000 series called Holokmite (not sure if thats the correct spelling). Bloody strong stuff and bloody light too, made my caliper brackets out of it.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 17:51

i was going to get say 100 pairs cast from moulds

these parts would be "race use only" for the most part, legal reasons and such..
im just trying to help everyone out with better parts. although it seems some people want to quash the idea....

sorry man, not trying to put you down.. just curious..

if you are going for track only parts, then as Mick says, billet 7000 series aluminium alloy is probably best bet.. or decent steel if you like..

the problem with road cars is that they have endure thousands of cycles over bumps etc, and the cast iron is superior for long term fatigue resistance (depending on load)

getting them cast could be interesting.... might be too much setup in terms of the mould, the alloy, and the cooling rates tc... unless you get in contact with a company like BTR ferrous products division (the old borg warner) who make the cast iron diff carriers and steering knuckles for a number of cars.. are in seven hills.
for low numbers, machining from billet is probably cheaper.. but if you wanna go all the way.. get forged Very Happy

Gabe, i'm curious to find out more about this alloy you call "Holokmite".. can you find the actual name? is it a trade name?

Cya, Stewart
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart,
I will find out exactly what its called, and as much info on it as I can, will post in here what I know. Probably on Friday arvo.

Gabe
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was goint to go out to my car and dry steer it, but it seems that people have beaten me to it, and proved my seive like memory
correct. woohoo!

ae86 drift, it will give oyu more steering lock until the wheels start rubbing on the inner gaurds IMO think about it, if you shorten the lever arm, then the spindle will go through a greater angular movement for the same linear movement of the steering rack.

do some experimenting with some bits of cardboard.

i might eventually rip the knuckles off my spare car, shorten them then weld them back together with low hydrogen arc rods.

but as for cast iron, the standard ones are made out of cast iron, and all of the hundreds of steering knuckles i saw come out of the Holden foundry were made out of cast iron, so it should be fine!

good luck with it

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
exactly right stewart track im talking about. billet is not for normal street driving on high stressed parts, unless your a national crew cheif etc or a person that drives the car 10k km a year and has a very very good mechanic.
mick
p.s have you finished it yet! Smile
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gabe wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 20:43

Any chance of a picture of exactly what they look like?
Billet would be STRONGER than cast, I have access to a CNC mill and a CNC lathe so I could possibly knock them up for the right price.
I also get really cheap prices on ally too. 7000 series would be fine. But for the same price I can get another grade above 7000 series called Holokmite (not sure if thats the correct spelling). Bloody strong stuff and bloody light too, made my caliper brackets out of it.

man, if you can that would rock my socks

CNC billet 7000 series alloy would be better than cast right?
if the stronger stuff is the same price then we should go with that

whats the "right price" and where you located
ill get a pic posted

2 secs..
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not on a road car, the alloy while stiffer and lighter than cast iron, will eventually crack due the stresses of being in a road driven car.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
knuckles

http://www.digitalfunk.net/Garth/ae86/knuckles/knuckles.jpg
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel your a hard man, going no lube! if your going to dry steer her at least push it forward a bit first., that way your ball joint want get hurt going dry steer.hahahah
sorry bored waiting for file to download!
lol
mick
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 19:56

CNC billet 7000 series alloy would be better than cast right?
if the stronger stuff is the same price then we should go with that

whats the "right price" and where you located
ill get a pic posted

2 secs..

Well in my opinion yes it would. brake hubs, calipers, caliper brackets, rotor hats are just some gear you get made out of high grade alloy.

Maybe oldcorollas is a better man to ask here.

Even if steel is a better material, that can be CNC machined too, just doesnt have the wank factor Wink

Im in perth and I would need to have a good look at whats involved to machine them. Of course the more people we get the better because once I have done 1, its just as easy to do 100.

Just looked at the knuckles and from what I can see, it would be a piece of piss to knock them up. However I would need them here to measure them up properly and ensure the ones I make are the same!

[Updated on: Wed, 19 May 2004 12:14]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 21:55

i
ae86 drift, it will give you more steering lock until the wheels start rubbing on the inner gaurds IMO think about it, if you shorten the lever arm, then the spindle will go through a greater angular movement for the same linear movement of the steering rack.

well i figure:

1.the arms are the same as mine
2. the aus rack is similar (if not identical) to mine
3. my 7.5" +11 offset wheels dont rub the slightest (185x60x14)

so i think its a good conversion
although ill get 1 set done and test it on a aus ae86

then if its all good produce!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That 2 turn lock to lock i believe would be a PS unit with a Quaife or similar rack.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone know how the ratio of the rack itself compares between the 'Aus spec' (damn I dislike that term!) rack and the PS rack? Not the difference in steering arm length, just the ratio Evil or Very Mad
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill check the trd bible when i get home
that may have it
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
your saying the manual rack has more angle and more turns? THIS is my point. With these arms you get the 3 turns lock to lock and the added bonus of the manual steering rack angle. Right?

Your basically saying the aus rack has a greater steering angle but with more turns? Right?

Yes thats correct , but really the complete package of the front end should be worked out as one .

as far as I know simon-ae86 has this mode, and rcas, and different and he has no such issues.

I can confirm this for you since he and statts had the problem that comes with different longer arms and the non power steer rack , with shorter arms , the ae86 steering tie rod arms are not the correct length for such angles so you must change these to . Same as doing a s13 hub conversion to ae86 . But thats another story , and its now midnight .zzzz
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey all

ok first of alli have an Aust rack with the usual 3.5 turns lock to lock, I have then since fited Power steering arms (purchased for $50 the pair) which as stated are shorter then aust ones. Now this mod ALONE is dangerous as once you run 0 mm toe, you have exactally 1.5 turns of thread holding the tie road onto the rack ends... not very safe...

I then purchased some dual adjustable RA40 celica tie roads from a wreaker (20 a pair and in good nick) along with some early model Sigma lower control arms, fitted tyhe whole lot in one go and the transformation is simply AMAZING.

I have now

-Faster more direct steering
-more lock (handy for drift where more opposite lock is required)
-more stability due to wider track
-more over all feel
-heavier steering

on that note, it hasnt reduced turns lock to lock, its still 3.5 degrees, but i have more angle. So less turns are needed then beforeto get the same effect, does that make sence?

Garth: if you make some up, i have a couple of ppl who will buy them straight up, i also suggest you make them 2-3mm shorter then Power steering arms for even greater effect. Also, yes use high grade alloy or get them cast up, just solid steel will fracture eventually = mot bloody good.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do all those parts bolt up simon?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im thinking might as well make up and sell it as a "kit" which includes all bits required and get new bolts and mounting hardware

what specific year models for these parts simmo?
rekon you could source the parts and send them this way? $$ for you of course.

dual adjustable RA40 celica tie roads ?what year?
early model Sigma lower control arms ?what year?
ae86 kouki power steering knuckles (1985-1987)

-Faster more direct steering - due to power knuckles?
-more lock - this is due to the knuckles also?
-more stability due to wider track - due to tie rods?
-more over all feel - due to control arms ?
-heavier steering - this is because?

im doing this for the good of the aussie ae86 community, so everyone please put in your input!
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im in
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Wed, 19 May 2004 16:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA40 made from about 78 to 82 correct me if im wrong
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Thu, 20 May 2004 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are going to go as far as making steering arms
Why don't you make the steering arm Incorporated the rca so you can address the problem of the strength of the unit , and while you are at it move the tie-rod location to the correct height to get rid of the bump-steer that you are going to have doubled with the shorter arms with no powersteering . This also occurs because of the rcas depending on the ride height .

How you do this is measure the steering arm angle , so take a measurement from the rack balljoint height , down to the tierod balljoint . You with find that this angle will be worst on cars fitted with rca's . And longer lower arms will also effect this due the lower ball-joint angle being increased .

Here are some measurements from one of the front ends setups i have done

* note these are rough tape measure jobs * should be done with a string line or correct wheel alignment tools before producing sure items .

1.AE86 , non powersteering steering arms , ta22 lower arms , trd springs , hts shocks , ride height { top of tyres level with guards } stock RA40 tie-rods used , 2.5cm rcas .

Vehicle on four post hoist . 1.5cm tie-rod drop , should be about 3.0cm for this ride height . due to the lower arm pivot point angle , but the longer lower arm , with the rca has increased the ball-joint angle and tie-rod location , so this setup will have less bump-steer than standard ae86 . if the tie-rod height was re-located 1.5 down , the car would have less bump steer again depending on camber / caster angles .

Does any else understand this ? i got lost in the measurement too .

But still there is the steering axis intersection point issue , so this could be addressed by also making the rca/steering arm ball-joint > tie-rod offset corrected , and the strut to rca/steering arm bolt locations adjustable , like a few { three offsets } to cover all types of strut / brake conversions .

Will find the measurements i have from other front end setups . Someone else measure there car !!

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2004 00:09]

bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Thu, 20 May 2004 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im in. the kit sounds evan better Cool
NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Thu, 20 May 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm, this is getting interesting...albeit totally over my head im still interested

would like to see what happens out of this kit business first before anythign else
purpleminiep
Regular

May 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Thu, 20 May 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im in but i dont want the sigma arms i already have nrcas. The longer tierods sound nice though.

Brad
arena
Regular

January 2003
      ?
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Thu, 20 May 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
www.howstuffworks.com
-steering racks.

ae86/sprinter workshop manual.
-steering components

these 2 sources will tell u all u need to know.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Thu, 20 May 2004 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
werd up to shane
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Thu, 20 May 2004 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so
?
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Thu, 20 May 2004 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sigma arms are the early type, of which there are 2 or 3 models.
you want the ones with the press in ball joint, not the bolt on ball joint. simple as that.

i think models were GE and GF. i reckon GH had the bolt on ones.

they are about 35mm longer than AE86 arms, and without camber tops, depending on the offset wheels you're running, and the ride height of your car, they will make your tyres scrub on the gaurds in heavy cornering, as they make the top of the wheel further out, as well as the bottom of the wheel, if you get my meaning.

i'm not saying dont do it, i'm saying just be careful is all..

fwiw, my car, with power steer is 3.25 turns lock to lock.

cheers
steve

improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Fri, 21 May 2004 02:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to Post some CAD steering geometry files , but the file type will not be able to be viewed unless you have the program , i will try printing and scanning these out later .

But for now a few basics of steering / vehicle geometry :

1 . http://www.pbase.com/image/29200735

This should explain general steering geometry rules .

2 . http://www.pbase.com/image/29200762

This should explain general steering geometry when the vehicle is turning { not to scale } and yes i am crap at drawing with paint Laughing

3 . http://www.pbase.com/image/29200777

This should explain the effects of shorter / longer suspension parts .

4 . http://www.pbase.com/image/29200803

This is what your vehicle could handle like if you don't do the correct measurement and changes . Laughing

Will post a pic of a tyre with not correct steering geometry taken to 250kph once .
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Fri, 21 May 2004 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Adam nice work right there, very helpful.
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Fri, 21 May 2004 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The chances are that the factory spent some time on the steering geometry so why not address lock to lock issues at the source. The steering rack:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/catalogue/page75.htm

Cheers
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Fri, 21 May 2004 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol youngy you have never bought anything from quaife have you!haha! would be a $1000+ atleast from quaife. lol i priced a fwd gearboxe from them not long ago and it was $17k pounds! i couldnt stop laughing and the rep got the shits as i said fuck that i could machine 50 gearsets for that and he said but they wouldnt be the same quality and i said no they wouldnt mine dont break. he got the shits big time then said sorry and got the boss on the phone and offered it to me for $13k and i said fuck me you mark them up that much and then he got the shits. such is life.
mick
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Fri, 21 May 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No I haven't Mick. Probably because of price.....but I see you already knew that!

Mind you I have a few more things to spend money on before getting to the steering. Hope you can machine up 50 steering racks etc though Mick!
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Fri, 21 May 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 19:36

Gabe, i'm curious to find out more about this alloy you call "Holokmite".. can you find the actual name? is it a trade name?

Cya, Stewart

Stewart the actual name of the aluminium is 'Hokotel'.

My guy says "its a high grade of 7000 series aluminium..." "More suited to make automotive parts out of..."

He didn't seem to have any more info on it. He did, however have a thin piece of 7075 and this Hokotel. The Hokotel was noticeably stronger. When I was playing with the two, the Hokotel felt like it would break before it bent, the 7075 was less brittle, for want of a better term.

Hope this helps

Gabe
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Fri, 21 May 2004 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
new one to me!
mick
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Fri, 21 May 2004 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
He also said "Everyone knows Hokotel........."

Laughing

Obviously not
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Auto trans lines
Next Topic:TA22 diff and axles
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 22:28:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.010473966598511 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.