Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cobra
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Looking for MK2 Supra Wed, 19 May 2004 16:11 Go to next message
Hey all, not currently a Toyota owner but hope to be in the future.
Will hopefully be selling my current car in the next few weeks and one of the cars on the list of replacements is the MK2 Supra.

So anyone who is selling one post your details, would also like to know what they are like to drive and peoples expiriences with them.
Oh and im in Adelaide.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Wed, 19 May 2004 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In my opinion, these are one of the best, affordable sports cars ever built, aside from the pathetically guttless engines the australian models recived they are nice to drive and are equipped with all the modern luxuries (pwr opts, climate cont, etc). i have personally owned 10 different Mk2 supras and have had a particular affection for them all, and one day when i come back to Australia a Mk2 will be the first car i buy. They are a great platform for modification and make a great streeter, however in standard form they are more of a mean lookin' cruiser
they weigh about 1300kg and the manual is always the nicer car to drive, however manuals are rarer and more expensive. an Auto to manual conversion can be salvaged from any celica with the exception of bellhousing\clutch\flywheel etc. Most common engines to find under the hood of a Mk2 are the 5ME (standard) which is ok 97 or so Kw but still fairly crusty technology, the 5MGE same as 5ME but with a twin cam head, smoother and more powerful, as standard in most american models and japanese GT version. or you will find a retrofitted 6MGE or 7MGE which are N\A 3L motors and are much nicer than the afforementioned.
as an upgrade to be considered are: 7MGTE, 1JZGTE , 2JZGTE
JAZE
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Wed, 19 May 2004 20:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or more controvertially the 1GGTE which is less powerfull but weighs 75Kg less than the standard motor which improves handling.
These cars really need work on the suspension to handle nicely. top of the list are springs, shocks, bushes which have all taken a sever pounding from age and werent the best to begin with.
Watch out for rust; under the black panel at the bottom of the front windscreen, at the bottoms of the flares, around the petrol filler cap, in the boot,in the roof below the top of the tailgate, around the front windscreen and in the bottoms of the doors. Rust in the tailgate you will have to accept, however a tailgate (although rare) can be sourced from a celica. Also look out for signs of a previous massive acco repair, missaligned pannels, or replaced radiator supports, bent rails ect as many of the Mk2's around have taken big hits and are dubious platforms for upgrade due to quality of repairs ect. rarest and most expensive colour is black, then midnight blue w or wout silver, then red and grey then silver or silver blue and then white being the cheapest and least desirable colour. the last cars built 85 models, have a better interior without the retro stripy effect. There are plenty of guys on this forums who can attest to the greatness of these cars, and i can definately recomend them, i know this is prolly more info than you wanted but i was bored and i love Mk2 supras.
Cheers. - Jaze.

[Updated on: Wed, 19 May 2004 20:19]

Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Thu, 20 May 2004 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jaze couldnt have said any more, any better Very Happy

ive only had mine a few months (white, blue stripy interior, my favourite combo) but they are a fun fun car

the 5m-e, despite its gutlessness still has much more go over an ra60, sa63 or ra65 celica of the same era..

but yeah, very sweet cars Very Happy
Cobra
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Thu, 20 May 2004 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the info jaze, i have always liked to look of these supras. Especially the flares which make it look tough and a bit old school.

I just did a search in the trading post and there are a whole 4 mk2's for sale in all of Australia Sad . Two of them are auto, the manual one is damaged and then there is this interesting one:

TOYOTA SUPRA, 1984, MA61, blue coupe, 3.0 DOHC injected 6cyl, 5spd, LSD, disc brakes, IRS, extractors, air filter, p/windows, p/s, c/locking, alloy wheels, reg and s/cert supplied -$4300 Auchenflower (0409) 642 838.

Sounds like its using a 7mge. But if it is that sounds a bit too cheap for only $4300, could be soemthing wrong with it.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Thu, 20 May 2004 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id say its a 6MGE not a 7m, however that still sounds like a sweet deal, just make sure it hasnt been thrashed off its ring and is not a rustbucket
Cobra
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Thu, 20 May 2004 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah k, what cars had the 6mge? and whats the diff between the 6m and 7m?

I have also noticed during my research that the 85 Celica's use a 2.4l fuel injected motor, but as far as i know the earlier Celica's of the same shape use a 2l carbie engine.
How well do the Celica's with the 2.4l engine go?

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2004 10:15]

Grinno
Occasional Poster

November 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Thu, 20 May 2004 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About the same as the 2L carb version.

Slow. Smile
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Thu, 20 May 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha! Mike you're well bored aren't you!

We got real cars 'Down Under' Razz

Non stripey 'weave' interior is cool Smile

MA61's are cool!
Timmy Turbo
Regular

August 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Thu, 20 May 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Found this in the Advertiser last week, I was gonna go get it myself, but now I have other plans...
Toyota Supra, 1985, burgundy, 5 spd, a/cond, p/str, recond mtr 60,000kms ago with full servicing receipts. VAP-146 $4500 no offers. It says its at Just Hatchbacks at 30 O.G. Rd, Klemzig, Ph. 8261 0502.
This car sounds like a bargain for the work done, if I was you, I'd definitely go and check it out.
Regards,
Tim
Cobra
Occasional Poster

July 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Thu, 20 May 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did actually see that Supra earlier today when i was look through the Advertiser classifieds. Sounds like it could be good, 5 speed, rebuilt engine and its in my price range

But im still trying to sell my current car so it may be gone by the time i get the money together Sad

Anyone want a GSR Galant with an evo3 engine? its fast but not exactly reliable Rolling Eyes
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Fri, 21 May 2004 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6mge has only 12v, and is about 190hp, whereas the 7mge is 24valve, and about 210hp? (correct me if im wrong)

cant quite remember what the 6mge is from though.. its a jap import.

as far as celicas go, the ra60 with a 21r-c (2.0 carb) are pretty slow (high 19 sec quarter, 14s 0-100) sa63 with a 2s-c (2.0 carb) are a bit ballsyer (low 19 sec quarter, 0-100 in about 12s) and th3e ra65 with the 22r-e (2.4 efi) are a little faster than an sa63.

as far as stock ma61s go, the 5m-e will give you a low-17 high-16 sec quarter, and 0-100 in around 9 or 10s, if your motor is in good running order. my clutch and a few other bits were rooted, and my car ran consistent 19s, but its all good now and much quicker.

a 5m-ge runs 0-100 in about 8, and a low 16 quarter, so a 6m-ge is a good bit faster than that i think...

correct any fuckups here guys Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

P.S. Stripy interior is the coolest Very Happy
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Fri, 21 May 2004 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with all that has been said.

I was lucky enough to find mine in Red already with a 7MG-TE fitted and in pretty good nick with a black interior and no rust in the usual spots.

I have done a bit of work updating it (as suggested by Jaze) and it is nearing completion - FINALLY.

Good luck in your hunt
backpeddler
Newcomer

July 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Sat, 22 May 2004 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the mx83 cressida came to Aussie with a 6mge
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Sun, 23 May 2004 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
backpeddler wrote on Sun, 23 May 2004 08:14

As far as I know nothing in australia came with a 6MGE uneless its an odd import soarer or somting. As far as I was aware the MX83s were 7MGEs? Though ive seen the odd 1GGZE model getting around my area which I assume means its an import.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Sun, 23 May 2004 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh 6mges are import only
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Sun, 23 May 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
backpeddler wrote on Sun, 23 May 2004 08:14

I can also confirm that this is not true Smile
(MX83 is 7MGE)

Cheers
Wilbo
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Sun, 23 May 2004 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
6mge's were from japanese crowns and some MZ10 soarers.
WA_TRD_83
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Sun, 23 May 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mk2 Supra's are maaaaaad! Very Happy
i love them! And the very week i set out to find one, i could only find one for sale, at an even $5000. (this was almost 4 years ago tho) The car was pristine, recently imported and on 80k on the clock. Its running a 1GGEU - which at the time I had no idea what the performance was like.. I just liked the style of the old school Mk2 supra.
To date it has been a reliable runner - with no major problems at all!
Getting aftermarket bits or dress up gear is no easy task, and pretty much impossible in Australia.. however, if you are happy with the stock look of the factory Supra - then go nuts! They are the most fun to drive and one of the more unique jap cars to have, especially on Aussie roads! Very Happy
Good luck with the hunt! - if its meant to be, you'll find one you will love in the near future!

BTW- bbaacchhyy do you have a web site or any pics of your car? I'm doing a 7MGTE conversion soon and I'd like to see how others have come out. Cheers!

DAMO
TRD 83
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Looking for MK2 Supra Sun, 23 May 2004 12:50 Go to previous message
WA_TRD_83,

Sadly no website yet for me.

I have someone who is willing to show me, but I am computerly deficient and a raging 21 month old daughter to look after at the moment, so getting time to work on the car is at a premium.

I'll probably host some details in the members rides when it is going again.

Stay tuned !!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:EOI: 1988 Supercharged Mr2 for parts and bits
Next Topic:72 ta22.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 22:16:14 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0099000930786133 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.