Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
suff
Regular

April 2004

7A-FE NA Performance Tue, 18 May 2004 15:48 Go to next message
Ok guys, I am in need of assistance.. currently I have a 7A-FE in a 2001 rolla, already have 2.5" stainless cat back exhaust, 3" HiFlow Cat and Headers are on order. Running a pod filter (NO CAI as yet, project for a weekend soon!) Looking for more power.. decided against a 7A-FE -> GZE conv as I want to retain the existing reliable engine / head. so.. what should i do? if any one has any ideas i am all ears, and if any one has rough ideas price wise it would be much appreciated Smile

BTW.. any one want a 12" Sub box? its huge (used to house my Clarion Pro 12" Sub...)
  Send a private message to this user    
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Tue, 18 May 2004 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you made the wrong decision not going to a GZE and wasting money on your engine
4agze are reliable and great engines
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Wed, 19 May 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There's one type of 7AF that has a VERY good head, and built properly will go very well. The other type of head (The one with TVIS) isn't as good, but is still a reasonable thing if modified a fair bit.
(Pics on my site, in the Starlet page)
The engine would need a fair bit of work all up though to get the best out of it.
I'm in the process of putting one together and hopefully it'll be running either late this year or early next year.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Wed, 19 May 2004 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jag: 4agze swap would be illeagal due to the fact u cant put an older engine in their
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Wed, 19 May 2004 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

There's one type of 7AF that has a VERY good head, and built properly will go very well

And I still reckon that yours is still the only one I have seen!!
How about getting a Sportivo turbo setup, GZE injectors and a A/M ECU with Bill's head. Should get down and boogey then!! again

Turbo setup
ECU $1100+
Turbo Manifold $800
GZE Injectors $200
I/C $500+
Install/labour $3000+?? (who knows??unless you can do it-$60/hr)
Pipe etc may be another $1000
What ever way you look at it, it's gunna be expensive.

N/A setups
ECU as above
Port/polish $600-1100
Cams $1100
Could go some 20V quads $450
Adapter plate $300(??)
Labour again as above
Verniers Gears need be made- I paid $150 for the outter and made my own for the internal sisscor gear
Head's 4AGE, 7AFE's, etc I've never paid over $200
you can go alot further, which we have done.

suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Wed, 19 May 2004 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that johnny, i should have just pmd u directly...

well i was seriously considering the turbo setup from the sportivo, but there seems to be very little information on this.. my understanding is that its just a stock 7a-fe (stock internals anyway) with a hair dryer attached.. would this then indicate a cheap but moderate performance increase? any ideas on price and nessecary work? would an egine rebuild really be nessecary?

Bill whats this "really good" 7a-fe head that u have, it must be good if johnny is slobbering over it Smile
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Wed, 19 May 2004 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My understanding is you can call up Toyota and order a 7A-FTE kit.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

7A-FTE kit

7AFE sportivo Kit, the engine was never labled a 7AFTE. Really The cost of this kit could be done for less with better A/M parts. All you'll need would be the manifold and may be the turbo to start with from this kit... then again you could find a good 2nd hand turbo ie GT-4, MR2. but either way your ECU will need to be remapped or changed-> sportivo or A/M. from memory I think the sportivo had different injector too.
Quote:

cheap but moderate performance increase?

How does 115Kw vs 86kw sound? which does equate to the same power as our N/A rally car engine, with much less stuffing around, and at $5.50/L for fuel, I bet filling up will hurt.
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From what I've read, the Sportivo turbo models were a Australia-only model. Between the factory and the big boat, some Corollas were taken to a seperate facility to have the huffers fitted, then sent on their way.

How much boost can the stock 7A-FE bottom end handle?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 03:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
squeeze it in and find out!! Surprised
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suff wrote on Thu, 20 May 2004 00:33

Bill whats this "really good" 7a-fe head that u have, it must be good if johnny is slobbering over it Smile

Looks like this ->

http://www.billzilla.org/7afe-1.jpg

And yes, they're hard to find. I have two, a friend in Malayasia has one, and another guy in the US has one.

Not exactly thick on the ground ......
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny wrote on Thu, 20 May 2004 12:46

Quote:

7A-FTE kit

7AFE sportivo Kit, the engine was never labled a 7AFTE. Really The cost of this kit could be done for less with better A/M parts. All you'll need would be the manifold and may be the turbo to start with from this kit... then again you could find a good 2nd hand turbo ie GT-4, MR2. but either way your ECU will need to be remapped or changed-> sportivo or A/M. from memory I think the sportivo had different injector too.

When I looked at the stickers and compliance plates of the car it had 7A-FTE.

I think there are some custom made 7A-FTE corollas in the USA doing 14sec 1/4 miles. Not sure how they have been setup
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

How much boost can the stock 7A-FE bottom end handle?

7 psi would be safe.
Quote:

And yes, they're hard to find. I have two, a friend in Malayasia has one, and another guy in the US has one.

Not exactly thick on the ground ......

Is that the same head as on your web site? ie injectors on the mainfold vs head(import) just that it does look different in that pic and that does look like the aussie one... hmmm
Quote:

When I looked at the stickers and compliance plates of the car it had 7A-FTE.

Are you 100% sure.... I have change a few G/boxes (to GZE) on these now and had one sitting next to my car @ autosalon Final Battle 1 and nearly bought one, (only if the missus would learn to drive manual Mad) and none have had 7AFTE on the complaince.
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny wrote on Thu, 20 May 2004 15:10

Are you 100% sure.... I have change a few G/boxes (to GZE) on these now and had one sitting next to my car @ autosalon Final Battle 1 and nearly bought one, (only if the missus would learn to drive manual Mad) and none have had 7AFTE on the complaince.

Well the one sitting next to you at Autosalon was owned by my mechanic's son. On the green sticker under the bonnet it definately had 7A-FTE and I'm 80% sure it was also on the complicance plate as well.
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK...

Bigger injectors where always on the plan, so thats cool, low psi boost is sounding good again, so 7psi would be safe with out changing the bottom end, what about pistons?

The turbo off the 7A-FTE (if thats what its called, there is nothing on google on it) does any one know the pedigree of this? as far as a/m, any recommendations between GT4 or MR2. or any other turbos for that much (give me credit, I have come from pure cubes, so this is all new to me, my last car had nearly 3 times the dsiplacement the rolla has Smile )

ECU, can I get away with having the stock one remapped?

Bill, is there a P/N stamped on your head? i would be interested in finding out a bit more about your head (hmm dodgy Smile
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suff wrote on Thu, 20 May 2004 18:37

OK...

The turbo off the 7A-FTE (if thats what its called, there is nothing on google on it) does any one know the pedigree of this? as far as a/m, any recommendations between GT4 or MR2. or any other turbos for that much (give me credit, I have come from pure cubes, so this is all new to me, my last car had nearly 3 times the dsiplacement the rolla has Smile )

The 7A-FTE turbo was some kind of small IHI turbo that is normally used as a secondary turbo on twin systems, if memory serves me correct. I think it might be used in the Suburu liberty or it might have been a Saab. I did have the wheels article on it somewhere. I'll have a quick look for you.

Aftermarket, I suppose you can have a chat with Garrett turbos. They were a nice bunch of guys when we did the factory tour.

ECu would probably have to be remapped. You could get away with installed a Unichip piggyback which you can tune the fuel. I know there was an MX-5 running around with a AVO turbo kit which had one of these computers.
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 10:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok I found the article in May 2001 Wheels but it's not the detailed one I remember reading.

It just says that the Sportivo starts out life as a Levin. Then before it leaves Japan the turbo, heat shield, new exhaust manifold, new clutch, brake pads, high capacity injectors are added. Also mentioned that prototype testing revealed high oil consumption so a cast alloy oil seperator was added.

Once it got to Australia the bodykit and supsension and 15" wheels were added.

Doesn't mention anyhting about a ECU. Maybe that is because the 7A might still have an airflow meter instead of being map sensor. It would paid to call up Toyota and find out exactly what is in the 7A-FTE kit. That will tell you straight away the parts you need.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 10:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7PSI will be fine without changing pistons.
Quote:

On the green sticker under the bonnet it definately had 7A-FTE

Ok, I didn't notice the sticker, but I do remember talking about the plate and how it read 7AFE... anyway does he still have it or has he sold it? would nice to see it at the next dyno day as I've got a 7AFE standard coming, that way I can see differences between a stocker and my car, and I would like to see a turbo version too.
Quote:

small IHI turbo that is normally used as a secondary turbo on twin systems

Yeah, bloody small was what I was thinking... Sure Garrett will recommend something like a T28 BB, but still $$$ will be the main question.
Quote:

map sensor

All map sensored.
Quote:

Not a real fan of remapping nor piggyback systems. I found it really hard to get someone to do my orignal car and for the extra, I was able to do more down the track with A/M ECU
Quote:

Ok I found the article in May 2001 Wheels but it's not the detailed one I remember reading.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Found the same one
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alex sold the Corolla. Insurance was extremely high considering it wasn't overly fast. I think it was $3000 PA.
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 09:52

The other type of head (The one with TVIS) isn't as good,

Which model 7a-fe came with TVIS?
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Thu, 20 May 2004 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Imported ones which we didn't get here.... Got quiet a few incl one with individual coils per cyl.
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Sat, 22 May 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK

Toyota is "supposedly" finding out for me the specs / prices for the FTE kit.. but the guy I talked to didnt seem to have a clue hey.

Johnny... "Sure Garrett will recommend something like a T28 BB, but still $$$ will be the main question"

Dead right Smile money is always a problem, at the moment I am looking for AVG HP, in a few years there will be a new celica in the driveway, until then, the rolla will have to do Smile so if i can get away with spending less $$$ (within reason) thats the way Ill go Smile

Anyone have any ideas what the 7a-fte was rated too?

CamryMan, thanks for looking that up hey, so i am guessing that the turbo doesnt need an intercooler straight up? it would be good to get a turbo plumbed in, then add things such as intercooler and larger turbo later (spread out the cost)
suff
Regular

April 2004

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Sat, 22 May 2004 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny, you mentioned earlier that you could expect 115kw vs 86 was that going NA or Sportivo turbo?
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Sat, 22 May 2004 14:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Johnny wrote on Fri, 21 May 2004 09:13

Quote:

Imported ones which we didn't get here.... Got quiet a few incl one with individual coils per cyl.

Really?? I never knew this... Would anybody have any more info on these engines? Which cars did they come in?
I'm guessing the lower spec non 4a-ge spec levin/truenos ae101/ae111's?? How much power did they make? How is the torque curve? Redline?
CamryMan
Regular

May 2002
Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Sat, 22 May 2004 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
suff wrote on Sat, 22 May 2004 23:27

OK

Toyota is "supposedly" finding out for me the specs / prices for the FTE kit.. but the guy I talked to didnt seem to have a clue hey.

Johnny... "Sure Garrett will recommend something like a T28 BB, but still $$$ will be the main question"

Dead right Smile money is always a problem, at the moment I am looking for AVG HP, in a few years there will be a new celica in the driveway, until then, the rolla will have to do Smile so if i can get away with spending less $$$ (within reason) thats the way Ill go Smile

Anyone have any ideas what the 7a-fte was rated too?

CamryMan, thanks for looking that up hey, so i am guessing that the turbo doesnt need an intercooler straight up? it would be good to get a turbo plumbed in, then add things such as intercooler and larger turbo later (spread out the cost)

From memory the car actually did have a small intercooler as well.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7A-FE NA Performance Sun, 23 May 2004 13:52 Go to previous message
Sportivo = 115Kw
Standard 7AFE = 86Kw
Quote:

How much power did they make? How is the torque curve? Redline?

More or less the same as ours
Quote:

small intercooler

yep
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engine to celica RA60
Next Topic:Cant tell which terminal is positive ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 08:39:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055158138275146 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.