Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
scr3am3n
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Big brakes for hilux Tue, 11 May 2004 02:21 Go to next message
I did a search but nothing really came up that helped me so please be kind if you have covered this subject before and fill me in with the details.

Before I make a decision on putting a more powerful motor into my hilux I want to up grade the standard brakes on the front. I want to get new discs and calipers that will fit in a 15 inch rim. Rang DBA direct and they don't deal with the public and they couldn't help me and passed me onto some bloke in Queensland who couldn't understand what I wanted. I am sure there is a disc and caliper setup that you can just bolt on with out a full engineering job need. So who has had this done, what combo did you use, where did you get it from? etc etc. I may go up a rim size but I want to leave it at 15's due to the size of the tyres going on the rear.

I'll be fitting a 9 inch diff later so the back end is covered for braking issues.( reason I am using a 9 inch is a larger diff ratio selection)

Cheers people, Andy.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Big brakes for hilux Tue, 11 May 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scr3am3n wrote on Tue, 11 May 2004 12:21

II'll be fitting a 9 inch diff later so the back end is covered for braking issues.( reason I am using a 9 inch is a larger diff ratio selection)

How many ratios do you want? Theres plenty to choose from for the hilux diff.
scr3am3n
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Big brakes for hilux Wed, 12 May 2004 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well for a start my current setup I have the V6 commodore motor and a supra 5speed and the hilux diff with a 3.54 ratio in it. At 100kph I am doing 2800rpm yet I know that my old mans commodore does 180kph @3100rpm.

So my point of it all is that as far as I am aware 3.54 is the best hwy diff you can get. If they make a flat 3 or there abouts I would get it but I haven't found one yet.

So getting a nine inch I can go a get a flat 3 for hwy use and daily driving and when I get the urge to race at the strip I'll have the other ratio to bung in ( either 3.9's or 4.11's etc)

So if you know of a ratio 3.54 or under let me know.

Cheers matey. Cool
scr3am3n
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Big brakes for hilux Tue, 18 May 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bump my friends.

Any info possible would be helpful.

Pllllleeeaaaaasssssssssssssseeeeeeee
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Big brakes for hilux Wed, 19 May 2004 00:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As for the brakes situation I own a '99 Tacoma 4X4 and it has as most Toyota trucks 4 piston calipers. Why not try Tacoma, or newer Landcruiser front brakes? They might be a direct fit and bigger in disc diameter and caliper size. As for 15" wheels, they might not fit. You could always use the Tacoma or Landcruiser wheels.

Another option is to find a caliper that is a direct mount to the Hulix from another car manufacturer. Look for something that uses the same or slightly larger disc diameter, but thicker in size. The only issue with this might be the caliper clearance from the wheel.

Good luck.
scr3am3n
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Big brakes for hilux Wed, 19 May 2004 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's a Tacoma??? I'll pop in and have a look at the crusier brakes as well, thanks matey never thought of that. Very Happy
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Big brakes for hilux Wed, 19 May 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
scr3am3n wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 13:22

What's a Tacoma??? I'll pop in and have a look at the crusier brakes as well, thanks matey never thought of that. Very Happy

Tacoma is what the smaller Toyota pickup is called here in North America. Hilux down there I guess. Pictures of mine parked and on the road during a snow storm.

http://www.ilkt.com/celicasupra/4x4fs.jpg
http://www.ilkt.com/celicasupra/4x4snowfs.jpg
http://www.ilkt.com/celicasupra/4x4snowside.jpg

The Tundra is the full size pickup from Toyota. I think you guys have those?

[Updated on: Wed, 19 May 2004 03:49]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Big brakes for hilux Wed, 19 May 2004 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey! Some idiot put the steering wheel on the wrong side Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

Landcruiser brakes might require a bit of reworking, due to 6 studs for starters - shouldn't be impossible though.

As for the diff ratio, I'm not sure that I'd really be changing it - there's a manual VR Commodore in our family, with the stock 3.08:1 Bogwarmer diff, and it's far too tall for the thing, have to constantly change back to 4th or 3rd to stop the thing from groaning/farting, like old Buicks do so well Shocked
shag
Newcomer

September 2003
Re: Big brakes for hilux Wed, 19 May 2004 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey chap,
what model hilux is it?
i presume you are talking 2wd. i am not sure of the setup on those but if they aer the same as the rigid axle 4x4 then the chances they are the same as the cruiser.
if they are like the independant front 4x4 luxes then try the brakes out of the surf or four runner, especially the v6 petrol ones.
by the way if you look hard enuf there are some cruisers that i seen recently in a brake part list that were 5 stud. not the usual 6.
glen
[TOYROTA]
Regular

July 2002
Re: Big brakes for hilux Wed, 19 May 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey I reckon you should give RXEngineering a call on 0249661235 and ask Jon Blanch what he did with the X-tra cab [SYCTUP] LowLux he dropped a 400HP(ish) 13B turbo into! I'm sure they didnt leave THOSE brakes stock!
No unfortunately we don't get either the Tacoma OR the Tundra here, and no it looks like even the Tacoma is bigger than our HiLux's, not by much, it may even just be the different lights and raise kit that make it look bigger but i'm sure the Tacoma looks a littttle bit bigger, i could be wrong.

André
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Big brakes for hilux Wed, 19 May 2004 16:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrshin wrote on Wed, 19 May 2004 15:44

Hey! Some idiot put the steering wheel on the wrong side Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

That's why the dealer was trying to get rid of it. They said it was special!!!

I was born in the UK and moved to Canada at the age of 10. Every time I go back for a visit I try driving one of my uncles cars and I can't do it. Shifting with my left hand is just too hard. It's nice when I go to the continent and drive there, back to normal shifting with the right hand and driving on the Autobahn is a blast.

Anyway. Tacoma (probably newer 4Runners as well) caliper mounting holes are ~140mm apart and older 4Runners are ~90mm apart. Z32 calipers are 100mm apart and fit perfect on a MA61. All of these being 4 piston calipers.

You could try Landcruiser and also RX-7 calipers. They should both be 4 piston.

There should be a 4 piston clipier that fits on your Hilux. Then it is a matter of finding the right disc.

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Big brakes for hilux Wed, 19 May 2004 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only issue with RX7 calipers is that they don't take to decent width rotors very kindly - I suppose you could get a spacer plate made up like people do with Volvo ones though??
scr3am3n
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Big brakes for hilux Thu, 20 May 2004 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MMMMMM yes very interesting....

Yeah the Tacoma does look like a hybrid of a hilux and a crusier.

The earlier crusiers were indeed a 6 stud and the new 100 series is a five stud but have a 125mm (5 inch, approx) PCD, as I found out yesterday. And as you all should know hilux and others only have 114.3mm PCD.

Yeah but I want tall gears for the highway, we don't have speed limits up here. Well we do,(only to about 40km's out of town then it's WOT Twisted Evil) but when I take the dirt bikes out down the track I want to be able to sit at a low rpm doing 140(kph) rather than wringing its neck out.

I give RX engineering a call cheers dude.

Thanks people.

Here's a pic.

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view. html?id=4183420797&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.images tation.com%2Fpicture%2Fsraid107%2Fp100cf6ab7eb8810 6ea6f3fe2d2912b58%2Ff959ef7d.jpg&caption=car

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2004 00:04]

rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: Big brakes for hilux Thu, 20 May 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could also try Volvo brakes. Most are 4 piston in the front.

What year is that truck? It looks like the older small Toyota pickups from the late '80s early '90s.

[Updated on: Thu, 20 May 2004 23:44]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Big brakes for hilux Fri, 21 May 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh yeah course, you're from NT. Not fair!... Us Victorians get about the worst deal from Sgt. Snag and his merry army of revenue raisers in the country, if not almost the world.
Dust
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Big brakes for hilux Wed, 26 May 2004 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
/bump.

Eager to know what solution u came up with, about to embark on 1ggte into singlecab hilux myself, love to know what brakes to use Smile
slylux
Regular

January 2003
    nup
Re: Big brakes for hilux Wed, 26 May 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i see the pic .. 83-88 model hilux yes ??
i dont know the brake setup for that car but i have a 89-95 shape hilux 2wd and have r33 4 spots and rotors which practically bolted straight on .. r33 have 15 rims stock but with 4 spots u have to pick the right rim to clear the calipers .. for more details on the brake conversion i did .. send checks or money orders to bad180sx@hotmail.com

hahh just give me a email for more info ..

[Updated on: Wed, 26 May 2004 12:17]

scr3am3n
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Big brakes for hilux Fri, 28 May 2004 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jeeeeeezzzzzzzusssss.....

I've been flat out at work and on call at the moment, I've just sold my mazda drag car and had to organise the trucking of it for the buyer, so I haven't had time to make any calls about the brakes yet but I'm going down to VIC in July so I'm holding out till then and going searching while I'm down there.

It's a 11/83 model YN57 I think, I'm the second owner from new.
The bloke I bought it off bought it off the shelf in '84 and sold it to me in Feb this year. He did all the fabrication(made the tray etc) work and engine conversion. I got offered by some young kid 13grand for it but he didn't have the money at the moment... come back when you do I said.

Slylux you say practically bolted straight on, what did you have to do to make them fit?

Yeah go the no speed limits, but you can still get booked for driving without due care, such as driving in rain at 180kph. But normally crusing at 200kph to get where you want to go is not uncommon, in the right car.

Got to run, check in later.

Catch ya guys, Andy.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Big brakes for hilux Fri, 28 May 2004 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a wacked out idea the other day which was to mount a second pair of calipers inwards towards the diff in a F1 styled setup.
Now i know there are 100s of millions of reasons why you cant do this to the existing setup, but i thought i would just add that idea into the mix if anyone wants to play with it.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Big brakes for hilux Fri, 28 May 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats stupid! no candy for you Laughing

(jk)

[Updated on: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:43]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Big brakes for hilux Fri, 28 May 2004 12:44 Go to previous message
Aye, told you guys it was wacked. But thats why im on cough medicine and sick, and not just in the head today.,
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Where to put aeriel???
Next Topic:Series identification
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:44:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071449279785156 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.