Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Cant tell which terminal is positive ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jpower
Regular

February 2004
Cant tell which terminal is positive ? Sun, 23 May 2004 05:25 Go to next message
hey guys i got 2 pioneer 6x9s and i cant tell which terminal is which. I wired it up both ways it works obviously but i cant tell the difference so im stumped ? anyone know how to work it out ?
  Send a private message to this user    
Malicia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cant tell which terminal is positive ? Sun, 23 May 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if it works does it matter?
alex_ta22
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Cant tell which terminal is positive ? Sun, 23 May 2004 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the largest terminal spade is +'ve
Aust162
Regular

April 2004
Re: Cant tell which terminal is positive ? Sun, 23 May 2004 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alex_ta22 wrote on Sun, 23 May 2004 16:12

the largest terminal spade is +'ve

yep thats right.or the smallest of the two ia negative
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Cant tell which terminal is positive ? Sun, 23 May 2004 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and to whoever asked, yes it matters which way they're wired up - or your speaker cone will go in directions it's not meant to. = reduced life + volume (and quality in some/most cases)
Fattony
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Cant tell which terminal is positive ? Sun, 23 May 2004 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The best way to tell the polarity of speaker terminals is to take a small cell out of a remote control or something. Hook it up to your speakers. Connect it and disconect it, dont hold it on there otherwise you will burn out your voice coil. Look at the speaker movement, if the speaker pops out you reference the termials of the battery, so the +ve side of the cell that is connected with the termial will make that speaker terminal positive. If the speaker pops back in, its the other way around.
jpower
Regular

February 2004
Re: Cant tell which terminal is positive ? Sun, 23 May 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
both my terminals are the same size and i cant tell a difference when i change the wires around
mk1sc
Regular

March 2004
Re: Cant tell which terminal is positive ? Sun, 23 May 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fattony's method is correct
use a small battery to test like he described
reversing the polarity speaker will still work though if u had two speakers hooked up out of phase the output will probably be lower
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Cant tell which terminal is positive ? Sun, 23 May 2004 13:32 Go to previous message
they way i did it in the 8 years of audio installs was:
have them mounted, wired up. put on some music.
balance the head unit to one side, listen. balance to the middle, listen. if there is more bass response when the balance is to one side than when in the middle the speakers are out of phase.
all you need to do to correct this is change the + and - on one of the speakers only.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:7A-FE NA Performance
Next Topic:any experience with Borgwarner diffs in KE series corollas
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 04:26:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0040209293365479 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.