Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
icon5.gif  4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Sat, 22 May 2004 06:11 Go to next message
Recently I purchased an ae86 aus spec converted to 4age 88kw.
Seemingly fine when I got it I was happy till the next day when after starting it I noticed a slight miss...

Ever since that day I have been in a lost battle with this damn car, after doing a compreshion test, changing leads, plugs, filters and basically doing everything else besides pulling the motor apart and no success...

being to countless mechanics who all take their share of my money and still with no result im desperate...

Please someone help!!! this is giving me the $#its... everything seems fine but i cant get rid off this damn miss!

Any ideas, comments or pitty would be appreciated. Mad

Send a private message to this user    
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Sat, 22 May 2004 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Injector clean, clean throttle body, dirty on the inside of dizzy, fuel problem (octane), igniter.

Where in the rpm is the miss or is it always there, it just comes and goes as it pleases.

Steve
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Sat, 22 May 2004 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like grubby injectors to me, my 4AG in my rough car ran like absolute crap when I first started it, not only were the injectors clooged, one of them was even odd (different colour!). Because it's only supposed to be a rough engine, I just stuck a bottle of Wynns in the tank, ran it on optimax for a while, and drove the crap out of it, it's not too bad now. Whenever you first start a wreckers engine that hasn't been started for a long time, they always run very poorly, and you usually have to give the injectors a little tap with a screwdriver etc. to loosen them up a bit. Of course, you SHOULD, really, get them 'professionally' cleaned before you even begin if you're working with something you actually care about Shocked
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Sat, 22 May 2004 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you checked the leads?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Sun, 23 May 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the engine hasnt been washed has it!check water down spark tubes.
mick
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Sun, 23 May 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the miss is at idle and up so say....1200-1400
i have checked leads, put in new sparkies, new rotor button, havent washed the motor, had injectors pro cleaned had throttle body cleaned did compreshion test (its at about 170 psi), checked for bubbles in radiator when car running to make sure its not gasket, checked fuel pressure (i think its at 25 or somthing around there).. Confused

I took it to some electrical mob before because it used to flactuate at idle and miss heaps more, they said a black wire was loose on the ecu and the throttle possition swich was set to a constant value (instead of changing as u put ur foot down) and the timing retarted when rpm increased.. so it was totaly gutless

so they fixed all that but now im still stuck with the miss and sometimes while cruising the engine seems to lose all power all of a sudden for like half a seccond when at low throttle as if i took my foot off.

I spoke with a guy at a tuning workshop who is an ae86 nut and supposed to know everything about them but all he said is hes had this problem twice before and the only thing that fixed it was an aftermarket ecu.

So im currently saving for a microteck

anyways any ideas cos i still want to get to the bottom of this Mad
oh and one more thing...since im new to this forum stuff how do i put a picture under my name on the left side?? (damn newbies)Smile
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Sun, 23 May 2004 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think fuel pressure should be more like 40psi or there abouts, 25psi sounds way too low?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Sun, 23 May 2004 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like a fuel problem
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Sun, 23 May 2004 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fuel problem ey?

do u guys know what fuel pump is normaly used when converting to 4age? there is one strapped to the side of my tank which looks like a long tube about as thick as a fluero tube and its rusted to shit, ive been meaning to get an efi tank cos the fuel surge gets terrible with any less then a third tank fuel under heavy cornering but i hope thats the problem...

does any1 know the exact fuel pressure required?

what are my chances of geting an efi tank for a sprinter?

is there any others that fit?

thanx
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Sun, 23 May 2004 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you reckon you were going to put a microtek in to try solve it - why not try somebody elses ECU or buy one for like 50 bucks, to check if there is prob with your ECU.. microtek sounds a bit drastic. Are the 88kw comps different to the 86kw ones? That might make it harder to get hold of one. But you hear of people running the 100kw off the 86kw comp ok don't you?
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Sun, 23 May 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bobski wrote on Sun, 23 May 2004 21:32

fuel problem ey?

do u guys know what fuel pump is normaly used when converting to 4age? there is one strapped to the side of my tank which looks like a long tube about as thick as a fluero tube and its rusted to shit, ive been meaning to get an efi tank cos the fuel surge gets terrible with any less then a third tank fuel under heavy cornering but i hope thats the problem...

does any1 know the exact fuel pressure required?

what are my chances of geting an efi tank for a sprinter?

is there any others that fit?

thanx

Fuel pressure should be between 38/44 psi at idle(with no vacumm),

VL commodore external pump or open up standard tank and weld in vn commodore baffles and pump, lift pump into surge tank then a proper efi pump after the surge tank, efi sprinter tanks are around but rarely.

All cost about the same,depending on where/who you buy the gear from, either find standard sprinter efi tank or cut open your standard tank (like mine is) and weld in the vn baffles and pump, theres not a lot of room under the sprinter to install a surge tank so they usualy end up in the boot.

Do a search for ae86 efi fuel setups, it been covered many times before, but 25psi is way too low?
10sec_rx7
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Mon, 24 May 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
25psi with vacuum on the reg is probably about right, maybe a little low but not too low,

the 88kw and 86kw are the same dizzy so the ecu's will work,
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: 4age bigport - whats the biz with this miss?! Tue, 08 June 2004 10:14 Go to previous message
thanx for ur help I think ur right it must be the fuel pressure.
In the specs section of the 4age book it says 38-44 psi so hopefully that will be the end of that , thanx guys

by the way whats the differance between the 88 and 86kw motors?(please dont say 2kw Smile )
which one is the originally rwd one? and is there any way to tell?

Or maybe even...is it the same engine just ppl call it differently?

when I brought my car the guy said its a motor out of a levin but all this talk got me confused so if any1 wants to clear it up , would be appreciated

thanx

[Updated on: Tue, 08 June 2004 10:17]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Hilux Calipers
Next Topic:Differences between 3S-GTE and 3T-GTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 22:29:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055139064788818 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.