Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3SGTE into a 85 HILUX 4X4 ,help needed..

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
big boys toys
Newcomer

May 2004
3SGTE into a 85 HILUX 4X4 ,help needed.. Sat, 22 May 2004 12:03 Go to next message
I'm want to replace my 3Y-C with a 3SGTE and still keep it as a 4X4, my biggest question is what bell housing to use... as i have a G-52 gearbox, is it a different bell housing to the W series gearbox's? What side will the turbo be on and do i have to swap sides for the starter motor (it's on the driver's side at the moment) Do i have to change the HILUX standard radiator and where is a good place to fit the intercooler.... Also any other info you think mite be of use, i would like to hear..

cheers kev
  Send a private message to this user    
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 3SGTE into a 85 HILUX 4X4 ,help needed.. Sat, 22 May 2004 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What gen 3s mate?

Not sure on the bellhousing issue but the turbo will be on the passanger side.

depending on what bellhousing you use will determine what side the starter is on. and its adviseable to move the starter away from the turbo.

A bellhousing adaptor plate should be easy to make up though.

Depending on the condition of the radiator, you may get away without changing it. a decent flush and pressure test wouldnt go astray either.

As far as intercooler position goes, nothing beats the front of the car.

Some other info is the standard exhaust manifold will have to go in place of a custom unit. And I have one for sale Surprised if your interested.

Oh and if you search the site, theres shitloads of other useful info kicking about

Gabe
big boys toys
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: 3SGTE into a 85 HILUX 4X4 ,help needed.. Sat, 22 May 2004 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thankx Gabe
I haven't yet bought the motor, i wanted to do all the ground work first befor outlaying any money.. as for what gen i get, i dont know what one will suit me best
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 3SGTE into a 85 HILUX 4X4 ,help needed.. Sat, 22 May 2004 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well a RWD 3S conversion will cost a fortune, even if you do most of the work yourself.

As far as what gen.....are you chasing bulk horsepower?

The gen 3 is the best, closely followed by gen 2 and then gen 1.

Having said that, they all are awesome engines capeable of good power figures.

Doing the groundwork and research first is a GREAT idea, but it might also turn you away when you find out all thats involved.

Gabe
big boys toys
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: 3SGTE into a 85 HILUX 4X4 ,help needed.. Sat, 22 May 2004 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well horsepower is the thing I'm lacking.. hence the conversion, and the amount of work to do isn't an issue either as I'm a fitter by trade in the hydraulics industry and do conversions to trucks and plant equipment everyday... so the gen 3 sounds like a good place to start

cheers Kev
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 3SGTE into a 85 HILUX 4X4 ,help needed.. Sat, 22 May 2004 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah ok.........well I think you will find Gen 3 3S engines or front cuts are still hell expensive and rare. Because they are still current model.

One other thing........a 3S will give you horsepower and lots of it.

big boys toys
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: 3SGTE into a 85 HILUX 4X4 ,help needed.. Sat, 22 May 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool, thanx for your help

cheers kev
sideshow
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 3SGTE into a 85 HILUX 4X4 ,help needed.. Sat, 22 May 2004 22:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no matter what engine u use the price will be similar

all engine u fit will need the same mods

to pay someone a 1uz conversion will cost 8 to 10 grand

so a 3s being abit dearer might be bit more

u could prob do most the stuff yrself but u will easily be looking at over 5 grand to do it properly
big boys toys
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: 3SGTE into a 85 HILUX 4X4 ,help needed.. Mon, 24 May 2004 06:55 Go to previous message
cost isnt a real issue with this conversion...

what gen is the GT4 front cuts ive been seeing for around $2100
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae82 &ae86 steering wheel &horn button
Next Topic:Do I need a catalytic convertor
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 20:30:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056459903717041 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.