Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » [AE86] Lets talk steering racks !

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Sat, 22 May 2004 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex doesnt think he'll be going for this 'conversion', seems like a bad idea to him. Messing with Ackerman is sure fire way of losing front end grip. Rex was waiting for someone to address this issue. It seems like ImprovedAE86 has done a good job though.

Rex toyed with the idea of getting a few Quaife rack and pinionj kits and doing it properly. For a buy of 5 it would cost about $419each and for 10 kits, $383each. This price includes transport, however Rex has been scared off a bit since some peoples mutterings of import duty etc. He would still love to do it though if anyone has any experience with bringing shit into Australia. Eg get it sent through mail as a 'present' from nan overseas Very Happy?

This is far better means of doing it and doesnt mess with any geometry, simply because it changes the steering ratio.

Anyone has any information to assist with his problem dont hesitate to contact him.

Rex
  Send a private message to this user    
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Sat, 22 May 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No worries Rex ,

Here is a photo of a tyre that was from a ae86 with longer arms fitted , wheel alignment was perfect , was done the day before the car was taken for a 250klm test spin .
This problem has been caused by a very twisty road { kinglake to standrews etc } the inner wheels is being turned to much and is being pulled across the road surface . This is also a issue when the suspension is traveling though its travel . Due to unequal equation of the front suspension geometry , toe out changes will occur went braking , and toe out when accelerating depending on vehicle height .
What basically happens after driving hard for a while , The tyre will be cooked on the inner side and stone cold on the outer edge , then you have a completely uncontrollable car that you have to fight continuously to control . This was at low speeds , on the track forget about turning . Thats why you need to thing about all the other changes on the powersteering front end , it is really completely different . If you want Ae86drift i will tell you how to measure the car correctly and how place the steering tie rod point from your measurements of your car , but this is going to be completely different for car to car , unless ever one else has the same complete suspension set up .

Be safe out there .

opps link to pic :

http://www.pbase.com/image/29231515

[Updated on: Sat, 22 May 2004 03:51]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Sat, 22 May 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
improvedae86, is what your talking about JUST from fitting longer lower control arms? was anything else altered? what was the camber? i have rose jointed the standard lower control arms, my inner tyres were scrubbed pretty hard but i thought that was due to the excessive camber being run on the previous car.
JohnH
Newcomer

November 2003
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Sat, 22 May 2004 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
err, guys please note that the steering arms are FORGED STEEL.

They are not cast.

They should not be made from billet anything, including unobtainium, for a road car. They are a critical load bearing member, which just happens to be attached to your steering wheel. They are subject to considerable bending, shock, cyclic and fatigue loads. Forged steel is used for a good reason.

Please don't even think about making these up yourself.

The proper solution to your problems is as Rex said, ie a faster rack and and new pinion from your mates at Quaife. I believe they (or one of their distributors in the UK) has them in stock, or did about 6 months ago anyway.

John
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Mon, 24 May 2004 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Sat, 22 May 2004 10:49

Rex toyed with the idea of getting a few Quaife rack and pinionj kits and doing it properly. For a buy of 5 it would cost about $419each and for 10 kits, $383each. This price includes transport, however Rex has been scared off a bit since some peoples mutterings of import duty etc. He would still love to do it though if anyone has any experience with bringing shit into Australia. Eg get it sent through mail as a 'present' from nan overseas Very Happy?

customs will look into the box and find 5 exactly identical racks

even if you put the price to 5 bucks value and send as a 'gift', they will get sus and disallow the item. hence it being sent back.

trust me. customs will rape you for 15% of total price exclusing shipping. how much is just 1 rack from quaife? $500au? + 15% = $75 = $approx600 posted.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Mon, 24 May 2004 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well fuck it then.
everyone seems to not like the idea, or thinks i shouldnt do it due to safety so i wont bother.

i spose everyone will have to keep paying stupid prices for quaife gear.

i have a set of powersteering arms for sale as of now. PM me if your interested. keep in mind the amount i paid for them. im willing to knock it back a bit tho.

if you can get the ra40 and sigma bits, then you would have some seriously good handling with these arms.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 May 2004 08:21]

EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Mon, 24 May 2004 09:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dood, dont get upset cause your getting some negative feedback, its better to get the pros and cons before you go ahead with things anyway. i reckon you should stick with it, do a bit more research and give it ago. if worse comes to worse just go with the same material as standard. it would be stuff all heavier and the steering benifits would outway the weight issues. fuck the legalities how many ppls cars on here are totally legal anyway?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Mon, 24 May 2004 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha

im not upset, just disappointed :\
JohnH
Newcomer

November 2003
Re: [AE86] Lets talk steering racks ! Mon, 24 May 2004 20:36 Go to previous message
It's not about just been legal, it's really a matter of your own personal safety. Imagine driving down the road at 100km/h, and going into a fast sweeper and finding that you no longer have steering. Can't be a pleasant experience really IMHO. You are talking a key safety critical suspension component here, stuff with it at your own (and other road users) risk.

Just by way of comparison here, Hokotel is just a high temperature version of the more available 7075 ali, and has a yield strength of about the same as MILD STEEL. (which is a lot for aluminium I admit). However, the material that the standard steering arm is made from, is something like a 1050, or even up to a 70 series forging steel, which is not only FORGED (ie grain flow that aids strength) but also maybe heat treated afterwards to increase it's bending strength. We are talking here a strength that is going to be about 10 times that of even the most exotic grade of aluminium, plus a fatigue strength of probably several magnitudes.

Beleive me, they are this strong for a very good reason.

And on importing from Quaife. Heres the way to do it. You need either a mate in Europe or England where you need to send the goods first. Then this mate re wraps them, with a new invoice for a lot lower amount, and then just sends them in a normal box. Chances are it won't be checked, and even if it does, you have a declared value of say $500 all up for "replacement parts". Believe me, I've done this p-l-e-n-t-y of times, and never once have I paid import duty. If you guys are serious about a group buy, then let me know as I'll be able to help in the shipping side of things.

John
Pages (2): [ «  <  1  2]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Auto trans lines
Next Topic:TA22 diff and axles
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 07:57:40 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049688816070557 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.