Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fx_agte
Newcomer

May 2004
Silvertop Auto Redline Tue, 25 May 2004 08:07 Go to next message
I've heard that the silvertop manual ecu has a higher factory redline than the auto model, i was just wondering if theres any way to modify the auto ECU to give more revs as the motor has been converted to manual.. someone said you need to jump two pins within the ECU, anyone heard anything like this?
cheers.
Sam
  Send a private message to this user    
SeptemberSquallIndustries
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Silvertop Auto Redline Tue, 25 May 2004 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. 'Redline' describes a point at which the engineer-in-charge decides mechanical tolerances are being pushed beyond that threshold below which reliable and effective operation can be expected. It's got nothing to do with ECU, unless the ECU rev cut is set at 'redline'.

2. Manual or auto regardless, do you feel there's still considerable power available above the rev cut, and if so, are you really prepared to compromise your motor's reliability and longevity to exploit it?
fx_agte
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Silvertop Auto Redline Wed, 26 May 2004 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. I know what a redline is. thanks. and it is governed by the ECU.
2. Yes, I want to get the most out of my engine. I suspect the reason for the auto engine having a lower 'redline' than the manual version is to prevent damage to the transmission, however i have now got a manual transmission so it should be safe to raise the redline to within factory limits.
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Silvertop Auto Redline Wed, 26 May 2004 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

It's got nothing to do with ECU, unless the ECU rev cut is set at 'redline'.

Quote:

So the factory rev cut is set at the factory 'redline'?
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Silvertop Auto Redline Wed, 26 May 2004 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fx_agte wrote on Wed, 26 May 2004 10:21

do you realise that there is a difference between "redline" and rev-limit?

[Updated on: Wed, 26 May 2004 02:43]

Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: Silvertop Auto Redline Wed, 26 May 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Wed, 26 May 2004 12:40

fx_agte wrote on Wed, 26 May 2004 10:21

do you realise that there is a difference between "redline" and rev-limit?

Exactly my question...
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Silvertop Auto Redline Thu, 27 May 2004 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate what they're tellin you is that the redline is set regardless of the transmission. revving a motor to 6500 on an auto is the same as revving to 6500 on a manual. kinda like the old "what's heavier, a tonne of feathers or a tonne of bricks".

regardless of transmission type i'm sure there would be a way to bypass the rev-limiter, but as was said, it's there for a reason.
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: Silvertop Auto Redline Thu, 27 May 2004 05:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well seeing how no-one seems to want to help this guy with his ECU difference query...

The manual ECU'd 20V's I've seen rev cut around the 8200-8400rpm range with the speed sensor connected to the ECU, without the speed sensor connected they rev cut at 7500.

I only know of one auto-ecu'd 20V which had a rev-cut of 7500 also, but I am 90% sure that car didn't have the speed sensor connected.

The "red line" on the manual 20V clusters I have starts at 8000rpm.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Silvertop Auto Redline Thu, 27 May 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the other point which i think kind of got made:

WHY do you want to rev the bejeezuz out of your engine? it sure as shit isnt making any power up there in the range you seem to want to drive it Rolling Eyes
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: Silvertop Auto Redline Thu, 27 May 2004 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a 20V is only half interesting if it's revving it's tits off. When they rev-cut at 7500 they fall out of the powerband on the gear changes, they really need to rev to 8K to stay on the boil.
If they're not revving properly they're no better than a 16V.
fx_agte
Newcomer

May 2004
icon14.gif  Re: Silvertop Auto Redline Fri, 28 May 2004 04:43 Go to previous message
good call
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Help with alternator to my TA22 w/4AGE
Next Topic:mr2 engine mount
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 00:06:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049288272857666 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.