Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ke55 front brake + rear diff conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
ke55 front brake + rear diff conversion Wed, 26 May 2004 00:56 Go to next message
i was jsut wondering i wana convert my front brakes on my ke55, ive done a search and cant find anything that can relate to my specific questions so heres wat im after.

i was thinking about trying to fit RA65 front struts. the rotors are a goodsize with ga good sized caliper. i dont know much about these brakes tho but id imagine theyd be good enough to stop the rolla.

jsut wondeirng how far off track i am? i dont want to have to modify the strut height so if there not the same then obviously i cant use them. if anyone can suggect a different strut that i would be able to use then it would be appriciated. also would i need to modify the lower control arm or could i use the one already in mine?
would i need a bigger brake booster? would a sprinter brake booster be good enough?
as a bare minimum i would like ventilated front discs but not sure wat size, theyd have to be able to fit inside 14inch mags tho.

ok onto the diff, i wana put a t series diff into the car, i read that the ra40 is a t series. would the ra40 diff need any modification to be fitted into the car? does anyone know the width of the diff (drum to drum) so i can measure it up againsnt mine. also is it possible to either a) convert my rears to coil springs b) run a diff that was on coils with leaf springs (modifications required????)

are there any t series drum to drum that would go into the ke55 and wat car do they come out of?

i really want to upgrade the front brakes cause my discs are fucked atm and i dont wana pay for machining and new pads itd be a waste of money if im upgrading anyway

so ur help is appreciated

thanks

dom
  Send a private message to this user    
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: ke55 front brake + rear diff conversion Wed, 26 May 2004 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA60's run a different stub axle angle compared to earlier model Toyotas including your Corolla, which results in positive camber problems, I'd suggest doing the Corona strut swap with the modified vented brake setup, as has been described and documented previously on Toymods, if you definately want vented discs on the front. you'll also have to pay attention to your lower spring perch as they won't fit in your Corolla strut tower.

Diff wise, no T series will bolt in there - you're up for modification costs. You may be lucky and get a TA/RA23/28 diff in there, they are only 1365mm, mounting face to mounting face, but you're still up for fitment modifications. If you want to go to a three or five link style rear end with coils, look at Bill Sherwood's homepage, he's doing this as we speak, but it won't be cheap!

Clint
BradW
Regular

April 2004
Re: ke55 front brake + rear diff conversion Wed, 26 May 2004 09:56 Go to previous message
I am also planning a brake upgrade on a KE55 as part of a project.
I have struts from a RA40. I tried to fit them and realised I also need the RA40 steering arm(?) that bolts to the bottom of the strut as there is about 2mm difference in the bolt holes compared to the corolla ones.
There doesn't seem to be any difference in the height of the struts and I have already fitted the corolla spring hats(?) and springs to the strut. They where a straight fit.
The RA40 discs fit into 14" rims but are not vented.
I opted for these because of price (I got them for free Very Happy)

I have also been looking into the series 3 bluebird trx diff.
They are supposed to be pretty strong and have disc brakes. The diff code is H190 and they are about 1420mm wide (though this width has not been confirmed as accurate). They will require some modification to fit but are supposed to be a good option. I have yet to try to fit one so I can't comment on the ease of installation.

Good luck with the upgrades and let us know how you go.

Brad

[Updated on: Wed, 26 May 2004 09:57]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sprinter handbrake cable- need help on tightening!!
Next Topic:Oil gauge gone crazy
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 06:51:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052030086517334 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.