Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
monk
Newcomer

May 2004
Conecting Rods Wed, 26 May 2004 11:04 Go to next message
hi, i was just wondering if you guys and girls knew how Toyota, or any other common car manufacturer, makes their stock conrods. Are they predominantly drop forged, trimmed, then heat treated? or are they made with different methods like powder metalurgy or machining.

Also, how do the manufacturing processes for performance (drag, circuit, rally etc.) conrods differ? I know they use stronger materials like titanium and aluminium 7075 with T6 heat treatment and aircraft allumnium alloys, but how are they manufactured differently?

Anyway thankyou in advance for any help you guys can offer (this is for a mechanical engineering assignment)

Monk
  Send a private message to this user    
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Conecting Rods Wed, 26 May 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All of the earlier turbo Toyotas that I am aware of use forged rods.

I have heard of other manufacturers using powder metallurgy - this topic is something that is really difficult to keep abreast with - it is my guess that someone in your position would be looking into tech articles supplied by manufacturers. This would then make you the person to ask these questions.

About heat treatment afterwards though, I have no idea - except to say that it is fair to suggest that they would in order to normalise the material.

Have you tried to contact the engineering department or the public information department of different manufacturers - I am sure that they would be willing to help you.
monk
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: Conecting Rods Wed, 26 May 2004 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks yellorolla, but i noticed from reading these forums for about 10mths that ppl here are quite technically gifted.

its probably best for me to get off my ass and do some decent research myself, thanks anyway
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Conecting Rods Wed, 26 May 2004 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
god, you think these forums are inhabited by the techniclly gifted Rolling Eyes

Laughing

anyway, on topic, i suggest you PM 'oldcorrollas' as he will be able to chew your ear off on this subject

also might be worthwhile posting on engtips.com (now THAT is a engineering techno-nerd site)

cheers
ed
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Conecting Rods Thu, 27 May 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
conrods what are they? is that what con the fruiter has after seeing morica!lol sorry coulnd resist as im technically challenged. forged factory. after market are forged but use 4340 for the good ones and alloy is only used by drag racers as there is no engine braking used that tends to twist the rods and break them. we tried them in a circuit car years ago and they lasted just on three laps being gentle then it was all over.
mick
Benjamin
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Conecting Rods Thu, 27 May 2004 09:59 Go to previous message
Aren't some aftermarket rods machined. ie JUN make a whole heap machined from the one piece of (billet?) material.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:What car is this ?
Next Topic:AW11
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:56:52 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00559401512146 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.