Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
icon5.gif  Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Wed, 26 May 2004 12:48 Go to next message
Got a busted engine mount on a corolla that I am getting swapped under warranty as it is only 2 months old. It is a Transgold rear g/box mount.

I don't want to have to keep doing this though as it is a prick to replace (Ae92 auto), had to take it to mechanic to put on hoist after an hour or 2 of fiddling on the ground with stands, jack under g/box etc. Just couldn't get the prick out (couldn't lift up enough to get the studs to come right out of boltholes, kind of like one of those fkn puzzles that you think I'm almost there but then have to give up Sad , maybe due to the angle of the car and subsequently transmission - as when on hoist came straight out.

Anyway...to my question. Should I strenghthen it with that sikaflex or something similar before I get the replacement one put in just to be sure it's not going to catch me out again. (I don't really wanna have to get Noltec to do the polyurethane thing as this is above 60 bucks right and already forked out for new mount, and car is only a stocker?).

How much of it should you use, and is it expensive. Does it have any side effects. I don't know why previous one failed, whether bad batch of mounts, unlucky, bad brand or what.

Sorry about the short story Embarassed

Thanks

[Updated on: Wed, 26 May 2004 13:14]

Send a private message to this user    
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Wed, 26 May 2004 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have the same prob with my AE82 im going to get the mounts rebuilt with Urethane so they are held stronger and stop the engine shaking about
check this out
http://www.geocities.com/ae82power/umounts.html
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Wed, 26 May 2004 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You haven't done this as yet, Alainve? It doesn't look too bad. Getting the proper stuff I guess is the hardest part.
Are you going to do it yourself? Thanks for the link - that's handy!!

Might see if anyone here has first hand experience to tell us where to get the apropriate "goo".
Alainve
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Wed, 26 May 2004 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newcastle Urethane services
Unit 4B Munibung road Cardif NSW 2285 Australia
PH: 61 02 49565100
$148 for 4Liter kit of 80A grade
primer is extra

Very Happy Already fornd where to buy it just havent got around to buying any
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Wed, 26 May 2004 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Might try to find a place in Sydney. 4 liters that's heaps. Can you get smaller amounts. How much do you reckon you'd need for one or 2 mounts?

There's be a resin and a hardener wouldn't there? Is the primer something else??

Thanks Alainve - sounds promising
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone else?
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We've turned down a piece of urathane with the lathe and pressed it into the original mount (rubber removed), drilled a new hole through it and then pressed in a new crush tube. This seems to work ok. Another way is to turn down a piece of billet aluminium and put it into the original mount (again with the rubber removed), use some bolts through the sides to hold it in place. Drill a hole of the correct size to fit a leaf spring suspension bush through the alloy (make sure this is in the correct position as the bolts don't go through the dead centre of all the mounts), insert a cut down suspension bush in from each side and then insert a new piece of crush tube through the bush. The original engine mount bolt goes straight through the crush tube. We've tried the first method here 'cos we had all the stuff and the second way requires heaps more work, the second method is the best way though (idea 2 wasn't my idea though, credit for idea 2 goes to a well known north brissy race car builder) Very Happy good luck with it.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paddles. The 1st method sounds the money. But I no longer have access to a lathe Sad . I do like the idea shown on that "AE82 Power" website, but I just want to be able to get the resin in smaller quantities. Haven't called around yet (bloody office j, where everyone can hear everyone..i already rang about 6 wreckers about other stuff 2day).

Thanks,

Ben
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have recently done my front engine mount with sikaflex 255, havnt put it back in yet to see how good it is. it would have to be better than how it was.. Confused
once i get my spare rear mount i will pull the rear one thats in out and put the sikaflex in it too.
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is that stuff expensive? Would you recommend doing it to a new mount that you're not sure about? I guess you can't say as you haven't tested it..
That's not really what the stuff is meant for right? But it shouldn't hurt the rubber you think

Thanks Feral

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did you fill it up heaps with the sikaflex - or is just a reasoble coat enough to help support?
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

In the mid eighties the first industrial adhesives and sealants were introduced with Sikaflex® -221 for sealing and bonding in the automotive industry, Sikaflex® -255 for bonding of windscreens and Sikaflex® -241 for the caulking of wooden boat decks

Did you get told the 255 is better suited Feral?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i read though the sika flex pdf files and thought that the 255 would/should be suited to my needs, and was one i could get. was around $20 for the cartridge.
http://www.sika.com.au/home/cmi/sikainside/sika_tr ansport/intro/products/255extra.html
i just looked at the 221 you mentioned, it looks like a good one too. i cant remember if i seen that one or missed it.
http://www.sikaindustry.com/tds-ipd-sf221-ind-us.p df
(i am mainly looking at the shore rating on these, the rest of what they have written is double dutch to me.. Razz )

i pushed it into the gap around the rubber so it was joined each side, and then with my finger made it go out to where the center bolt hole is. so it's basicaly semi solid. i havnt taken a pic sorry.

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So with this mount, would you fill in the areas underneath and above the main thick bit of rubber that supports the centre bolt hole. Mine tore away at the top. Only very thin bits of rubber around there.

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/3941/damage.JPG

Thanks for the help Feral, appreciated. Did that tube just do one mount or could it do a couple?
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yo highrolla,

If you want them fixed there is a place in hornsby that does urethane. What they do is fill your mounts with it. If you are a member of toymods its like half the price.

I was thinking about going there myself.

Just a thought.

HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 12:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noltec - Yeah they're really good, had them make some bushings.

I rang them up they said about $75, maybe with membership fair bit cheaper though (that was before I replaced the mount though when I was wondering to repair or replace). I will have a new one under warranty, but just wanted to strengthen it up cheaply so it don't break again. Next time won't bother buying new mount, just either bodge it up myself or take it to Noltec.

BTW Feral how many mounts do you reckon the cartridge can do?

[Updated on: Thu, 27 May 2004 12:35]

serge
Regular

June 2002
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I went through about 5 mounts in my ae82, i got urethane ones made up for about $60 each. They dont break at all under stress but found them to vibrate the dash, and they dont give the motor any free play so i just used one urethane mount at the front of the motor that still allowed the motor to rock back a bit under accelaration, so if you get them made up make sure you get a about 4-5 holes drilled through them so they flex a bit. I haven't had anymore probs.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one cartridge will do 2 mounts easy. you only need to do the front and rear mounts.

with that mount you posted i would fill the whole damn thing up right to the center bolt hole.

serge, one reason why i chose a softer shore rating sikaflex than the urethane mix. i got enough vibrations already.. haha
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.forecast-3d.com/materials/elas_60.html
This sight had the different grades on the right and some of the uses.

For 55 it said:
Quote:

Good choice for shock absorbing parts or tires

Feral - As long as that stuff bonds well it should be all good hey. It should stick to the rubber pretty well? hopefully
Did you do one side - let dry, then turned over to do the other?

Sorry FatMr2 - go you confused with feral..bloody mr2 people, too common, everyone's got one ...not like Rollas Rolling Eyes . Fat, I thought you'd be too busy thinking up awesome club names to reply in here.

Serge - did you keep buying new ones, or ones from wreckers, or do dodgy fix ups that didn't work..that's a lot of mounts!

Thanks for all the help!

[Updated on: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:16]

serge
Regular

June 2002
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Thu, 27 May 2004 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alot of mounts (new) for alot of hard gear changes Laughing Laughing
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Fri, 28 May 2004 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds costly serge Sad . Good to see the urethane is holding upto your jarring changes Laughing
HighRolla
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Sat, 29 May 2004 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where is the best place to get the sikaflex? Just a hardware shop?
fatmr2
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Sat, 29 May 2004 07:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yo highrolla,

" ICY HOT ROLLA STUNTAZ "

Its you man....its all you!!!!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: Engine/Gbox rubber mount strengthening? Sat, 29 May 2004 08:22 Go to previous message
I got my sikaflex at a Bursons. Just liberally smothered the mount with it until it was completely solid. Only done the front one on my GZE, but its so solid that at WOT it rocks back about 1" or so max
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1ggte ignition timing
Next Topic:18rg ---> t50......possible ??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 09:04:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005544900894165 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.