Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86's and radiators...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 10:51 Go to next message
What other toyota radiators will fit with minimal mods (if any) in an ae86 that offer larger cooling surface and volume.

1ggte Soarer radiator will fit i know that much, So whatelse?

Or even other cars? VR4 Galant can be made to fit (bit more fucking around with brackets tho) .

Simon
  Send a private message to this user    
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
96 excel i think
??
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was more or less after definate answers frompeople who have a different rad or who have seen/fitted one in another ae86 first hand.

Makes life a little easier Wink
FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garth is right, there was someone about a year ago who got on the forums and said that a 96 or 97 (i forget which one) excel radiator was a good fit.

Ill search and see if i can find it?

Steve
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mate I put a Hyundai Excel radiator in my AE86.

It is a good radiator! I used to always have overheating problems and now it struggles to get up to normal temp. Also the fact that the thermo fan is built in is great. I had a dodgy setup before holding a fan in place but now its all factory looking. The radiator even has a thermo fan switch in it.

For $60 I got a near new radiator with a electric thermo fan & switch in it.

The radiator itself fits well, it is slightly wider, taller & thicker but doesn't interfer with anything.

None of the mounts line up though. The bottom mounts sit further apart for one thing.

All I did was get some 90 degree angle, bolt this in beside the original mounts down near the front chassie/brace. Then I drilled holes in the top of the angle for the radiator tags to sit in.

At the top its easy enough, just bend some metal to sit over the radiator and drill some new holes in the radiator support panel.

Cheers
Joel
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 11:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here is a picture.. Doesn't show much though and the top bracket is a bit shit but was in a rush when fitting.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/helenfitz/stuff/excelrad.jpg

Should also mention.. Original bottom hose fits fine. The top hose needed changing a bit but I felt in the end it was a better fit than what the 4AGE - Aus spec AE86 radiator is.

FKN16V
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speak of the devil.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 11:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ewItem&rd=1&item=2479334759&category=3 3602

if only we could afford it...
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm in my opinion that ebay radiator isn't worth it.

When my original one was shot (no fins left). I had the option to get a replacement/recore but most quotes came in between $300 - $400.

Then you look at the Excel one, its larger, has thermo fan & switch built in, its alloy, there is HEAPS of Excels at the wreckers so should never be a shortage of replacements and under $100!

I'm thinking of trying to fit one to my RA28. Just they are not as wide as the AE86/Excel ones so will have to see how I go.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure the ae92 radiator fits without to much hassles cos a mate put a gze in one and used the radistor out of the hc so i assume it was a pretty straightfoward fit
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
excellent, thanks Joel/Garth/everyone else.

Is the excel one a Single row or twin row radiator?

Looks damn good, wonder how well it will hold up to the task of double the 4age's normal engine output?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
twin row i think simmo
as for coping i should imagine so
get a new repco water pump too
they have an extra blade on the impeller
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool thanks, Joel can you confirm if its a twin row?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My ausspec 4agze has a radiator out of a HIACE Van in it, just to throw one more into the mix Very Happy Two row, about twice the capacity of the original sprinter rad.

[Updated on: Thu, 27 May 2004 14:07]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have been using one out of (I think!) an AL25 Tercel in mine. Was pretty easy to fit, has 2 fans on it, but is still far too small for what I really want...
Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just to add something else, I've fitted a gemini radiator. Twin core and no heat problems (has seen 102deg after serious extended fuel-cut drifting), can get three core of the same. Needs mounts made, no drama. Big plus is it is narrow enough to run your intercooler pipes beside, so no cutting panels.

So if you run FI and no aircon (otherwise condenser gets in the way) give it a look.

Hen
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
guys would it be too much to ask to get rough outer dimensions of these rad's? (no wreckers for me until thesis is done Sad )

this could also make a good sticky!!!!! sizes, are they effective, come with fan's/mountings etc etc.....

i'll start.
KE10 radiator.
size, 2/5ths of SFA
not effective
mounting? what mounting Wink

but seriously tho, anything that will keep higher power 4AG's cool will be good for all!

Cya, Stewart
joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 21:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i also read somewhere that a prelude 92-95 radiator was used for a sprinter....
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86's and radiators... Thu, 27 May 2004 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am Using a Celica ST162 Radiator

Large Twin Core
Probably the Biggest Radiator you can fit in an AE86
Has good twin Thermal Fans

One bottom mount lines up, the other has to be moved across a fraction, you need an S Hose from a AE92 corolla for top hose.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sun_moon_stars/Image29.jpg

http://members.optusnet.com.au/sun_moon_stars/Image28.jpg

Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE

[Updated on: Sat, 29 May 2004 06:17]

NickAE86
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: AE86's and radiators... Fri, 28 May 2004 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hiace...double your cooling capacity

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Fri, 28 May 2004 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im using a nissan bluebird radiator in the rolla so it will fit the same in a sprinter, its a 2 core, has the inlet and outlet in the right spots and i never vary by more than about 6 degrees even under heavy load.
you can choose to cut back the frontal area like i did or keep it standard and it will still cool twice as good as the crappy stock sprinter unit, plus because its brass you wont get heat cracking like you do on modern plastic items.

theres some pics here Radiator of how i cut each side of the front support but this one might show how it sits a little clearer

http://ira11y.qnix.com.au/enginecomplete001.jpg

as with Bens one this one is the biggest youll fit in the bay, the bottom just sqeezes between the sway bar ( with enough clearance ) and it sits just of the bottom nicely (ae86 you may have to cut off the original support mounts )

I used a 180B bottom hose witch is fairly similar to the toyota factory item and half the cost, you need to change the radiator cap to the twin sealed kind but theyre easy to get as they came in the skylines of the smae era and are an exact fit. the one thing i dont like about it is the cap, its functional but its not as tidy as the toyotas smaller one.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 May 2004 08:40]

YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86's and radiators... Fri, 28 May 2004 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 27 May 2004 22:52

cool thanks, Joel can you confirm if its a twin row?

No it is not a twin row - nor does it need to be.

I have placed this rad in the '20.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Fri, 28 May 2004 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers guys, good thread, keep that info flowing!

looks like a ST162 for me
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: AE86's and radiators... Sat, 29 May 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just fitted the Excel rad today.

Its a single core about 25mm thick (stock AE86 is 15mm).
Its 615mm wide.

Its longer and taller than the AE86 core. I'll let you know how it performs with a turbo behind it but it looks plenty capable.

Denis

[Updated on: Sun, 30 May 2004 11:01]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86's and radiators... Sat, 29 May 2004 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon you're a lucky bum, if i hadnt been out at work dinner i would have that 162 rad.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Sat, 29 May 2004 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe sorry dude Razz
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86's and radiators... Sun, 30 May 2004 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
under what conditions are ppl needing new radiators? im using the stock radiator but i had it properly cleaned and flushed, new water pump and a single davies craig fan. i got a worked ZE in it now and will be going turbo soon, and ive NEVER had any problems with it. are you guys changing cause your old one was stuffed and its cheaper to make a different one fit? cause the stock ones holding up for me ok but its in pretty good nick.
ae86trueno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86's and radiators... Sun, 30 May 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because my car idles' at 2000+ RPM and requires 3-4000 RPM to even get mooving Shocked
And on the way to a rally inspection one friday morning i got stuck in traffic for 30 Minutes and the stock radiator did not cool the engine enough, simple.

Ben
AE86 Trueno 4AGE
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: AE86's and radiators... Sun, 30 May 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I ran the stock radiator with a 10inch davies craig fan in front of a 4AGZE with no problems. I have fitted the larger core as the top tank seal was leaking badly and I am turboing the car.

Denis
Sprinter
Regular

September 2002
Re: AE86's and radiators... Sun, 30 May 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 - did u use the excel fan plugs and wiring? Did you work out what the extra 2 wires are for? I have worked out they receive current when the fan is running but thats about it.

Did you find any wiring diagrams for the excel?

Thanks,
Denis
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE86's and radiators... Mon, 31 May 2004 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like you've decided on the ST162 rad, but I've got some pics of the Hiace rad in, for reference.

http://users.bigpond.net.au/monkeymajik/car/wholeBay.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/monkeymajik/car/hiaceRad.jpg
http://users.bigpond.net.au/monkeymajik/car/icPipe.JPG

[Updated on: Mon, 31 May 2004 05:08]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Mon, 31 May 2004 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks chunky thats for sure! that would certainly cool the 4a's

Kepp this thread happening for a referance file!
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86's and radiators... Mon, 31 May 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just measured the radiator i had in front of my 100kw 4age.

It is 700 wide by 420mm high. It is a toyota item also.

Any idea what car its from?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86's and radiators... Mon, 31 May 2004 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ill take a guess at a 4AC AE82 rad.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: AE86's and radiators... Mon, 31 May 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how come you have two valves in your booster line? just to connect two shorter hoses together?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: AE86's and radiators... Mon, 31 May 2004 12:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did not do the conversion, but as far as i know...yes.
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: AE86's and radiators... Tue, 01 June 2004 02:09 Go to previous message
a mate shane has an aluminium s13 radiator in his looks nice, fis ok
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:dumb Q but help please?
Next Topic:'94 Supra 2JZ-GE -> '95+ Supra 2JZ-GTE Conversion - HELP!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 14 06:33:12 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0066640377044678 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.