Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » RAV 4 - GOOD / BAD ???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DigitalAE86
Regular

May 2002
RAV 4 - GOOD / BAD ??? Wed, 26 May 2004 01:57 Go to next message
Hi

I'm looking at buying a 2nd hand 5 dr RAV 4 for my wife, is there anything in particular that I should be looking out for?

Happy to hear from anyone with experience of these vehicles.

Good points / bad points???

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: RAV 4 - GOOD / BAD ??? Wed, 26 May 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My sister had one and it got flogged around for years. In the end she traded it in because it was burning oil, but other than that there was no problem it at all.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: RAV 4 - GOOD / BAD ??? Wed, 26 May 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I drive one of these at work, along with 5 other guys (its a pool vehicle) and after 60 000 kms in two years it has not missed a beat and had no problems, and its been driven hard at times as well.
Mitch.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: RAV 4 - GOOD / BAD ??? Wed, 26 May 2004 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm quiet sure the old RAV 4's come out with the same 2L (3S-FE) thats in the 1987 to 1992 Camry's? (correct me if not right) they are well known for reliability so I can not see why a RAV 4 wouldn't be as reliable used to know a bloke a few years back who had one and it never gave him any trouble never missed a beat dunno what its like now as I haven't seen him in over 3 years but he reckon'd his was a great car
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: RAV 4 - GOOD / BAD ??? Thu, 27 May 2004 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, its got the 3S-FE in it - I read somewhere that its built on the Celica GT4 platform (correct me if im wrong?).

We've got an auto '97 5 door with about 180k's on the clock and it still runs like new - even with the occasional thrashing and two learner drivers.

The only problem we've had with it was a bad squeak / rattle from the front of the car. Toyota replaced the front wheel bearings, a hub and even the bumper under warranty. In the end it turned out to be a broken fastener on the indicator!

[Updated on: Thu, 27 May 2004 07:14]

NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: RAV 4 - GOOD / BAD ??? Thu, 27 May 2004 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV4's are sweet. Very comfortable to drive. The second generation Cruiser pack is my personal favourite as it has more seat adjustments, sunroof, sidesteps over the base model.
At work on my lunchbreaks I sometimes take a nap in them. Very comfortable.
SupraBOY
Regular

September 2002

Re: RAV 4 - GOOD / BAD ??? Fri, 28 May 2004 09:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they aren't a bad car.

g'box isn't the worlds strongest, and the stock clutch is only average.

apart from that. everytime i drove it some animal wanted to jump out at me... needless to say the breaking was preety good. oh and i did have an accident in it (not my fault guy changed lanes at 60km'h without looking) very stable.

i'd rate them about 7/10
mozrav
Regular

June 2003
Re: RAV 4 - GOOD / BAD ??? Fri, 28 May 2004 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can't go wrong with a RAV4. I got a 1996 5dr Cruiser model and they're awesome. Be aware that the water pumps are known to go bad around 100,000 km. Mine did and the engine sounded like diesel engine clatter so the water pump was replaced at the 100,000 km service along with the timing belt. For more info check out http://www.rav4oz.com.

RAV4s have heaps of potential too. bigfella73 (who's a fellow administrator of the RAV4OZ.com forums) is currently putting a 3S-GTE into his 1999 RAV4. I plan on doing this in a few years too.

[Updated on: Fri, 28 May 2004 12:29]

sv_i
Occasional Poster

May 2004
icon13.gif  Re: RAV 4 - GOOD / BAD ??? Sat, 29 May 2004 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My father bought one brand new in 1998, manual, with the Cruiser pack (and moonroof)

worst car he's ever owned and it was the final straw for him to stop buying toyotas. (he owned landcruisers before the RAV4)
at 500 K's from new the gearbox refused to go into 2nd and basically had to be double clutched and slammed in.
The dealership service department didnt want to know about it and basically refused to fix the problem. (They also broke and damaged some of the interior plastics but thats another story)

Thru a friend, another dealership's service manager took the car for a drive and agreed, that although you do need to be somewhat slow and precise with the manual gearbox in the RAV4 and guide it into gear, rather than slam it, something was wrong with it.
(this all took around 6mths to come about)

Completely new gearbox was fitted under warranty at the second dealership and all was well for about another 2,000 ks until the replacement gearbox started showing the same kind of reluctance to go into all forward gears, especially first.

My father bailed on it, sold it as quickly as possible and bought a new Pajero. The whole family hated that car, even though it had a great revvy motor and handled a few offroad trips no worries, the gearbox woes soured it all. The same friend who put us onto the second dealership, his son had an automatic version which was on its third auto box at 80,000 ks.

monty
Newcomer

May 2004
Re: RAV 4 - GOOD / BAD ??? Sun, 30 May 2004 06:02 Go to previous message
mozrav wrote on Fri, 28 May 2004 22:26

For more info check out http://www.rav4oz.com.

RAV4s have heaps of potential too. bigfella73 (who's a fellow administrator of the RAV4OZ.com forums) is currently putting a 3S-GTE into his 1999 RAV4. I plan on doing this in a few years too.

I was reading that site before and one of the mods has spent $27,000 on his rav 4 Shocked

http://www.rav4oz.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:WTD : Pics of ET Pulsar T2 Turbo (exhaust side)
Next Topic:POD Filters for 4A-GE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 13:56:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054690837860107 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.