Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sat, 29 May 2004 10:20 Go to next message
just getting started with my sprinter and i want to do a 5 stud conversion . but need help to get started like maybe parts that will bolt on or a place that will do a setup for me but dont have much to spend at this time. just want a better wheel selection....
  Send a private message to this user    
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sat, 29 May 2004 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From my knowledge no one has done this.

You have two choices.

1. Buy 4 bolt to 5 bolt adapters and then find wheels with a more positive offset than stock. Which is the easiest thing to do. Lots of 5 bolt wheels out there with large positive offsets.
2. Find front 5 bolt hubs from another car that share the same front bearings as yours and see if they fit on your spindles without being too long or short. Then find a rear solid diff that will bolt up or can be modded to bolt up to your car that has 5 bolt hubs and is not too long or short.

Get what I'm getting at?

There should be lots of cheap 4 bolt wheels that should fit your car. The bolt pattern is 4X114.3 right? Look for used wheels someone is selling from thier MA61 in 14" to 16" diameters that are no wider than 7". I see lots of those cars with the stock MA61 wheels and they seem to fit fine.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The first question I would ask is WHY? It's a hell of a lot of effort to go to, and I can't really see the point on an AE86. Having said that, it's far from impossible if you don't mind mix'n'matching from the Toyota parts bin.

Shortened MX83 Cressida struts would be a good start for the front end, but you'd probably have to do something funky with the lower control arms to get the camber right. You'll also need to convert to coilovers as the Cressida springs probably won't fit inside the strut towers. This will give you 5-stud hubs with the bonus of fairly large brakes, and easy brake upgrade options if you want to get carried away.

As for the rear, a Hilux axle swap would be the way to go; you get an indestructible G series diff (LSD's are easy to come by), huge drum brakes, and all 2WD versions are 5-stud.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rsdeo wrote on Sun, 30 May 2004 02:45

SprinterTRD's V-8 powered Sprinter has 5-studs on all four corners. Wink
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill Sherwood wrote on Sun, 30 May 2004 12:04

rsdeo wrote on Sun, 30 May 2004 02:45

SprinterTRD's V-8 powered Sprinter has 5-studs on all four corners. Wink

As does my TA22.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...as does my AE86
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mr fool if u dont have much money to spend then i really wouldnt bother, spend the cash where it will reward better, like suspension.

besides, there are HEAPS of great wheels to suit 86, imo they are better than other mags!
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...as does my KE30
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My coon does too Rolling Eyes
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
180USD

http://www.technotoytuning.com/t3_site_pages/produ cts/wheel_adapters.html

a winnar is yuo
rsdeo
Regular

January 2004
Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice, someone has done it. What method was used for the conversion?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 21:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hilux diff down the back and MS65 Hubs at the front.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2004 07:14

So the MS65 hubs fit on an AE86 as well ? Well bugger me Shocked
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 22:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bbaacchhyy wrote on Mon, 31 May 2004 07:54

Cool1 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2004 07:14

So the MS65 hubs fit on an AE86 as well ? Well bugger me Shocked

Maybe. They fit the RA40 and 131 struts, and I think the stub axle is the same size on the sprinters.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Sun, 30 May 2004 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Incorrect; the AE86 has the same size stub axle as the TA22, which is smaller than the RA40, XT130, MS65 etc. If you wanted to use MS65 hubs you'd have to upgrade the struts first.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Mon, 31 May 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sun, 30 May 2004 17:59

180USD

http://www.technotoytuning.com/t3_site_pages/produ cts/wheel_adapters.html

a winnar is yuo

these spacers are not hub centric, and very illegal in aus
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Mon, 31 May 2004 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 31 May 2004 09:02

Incorrect; the AE86 has the same size stub axle as the TA22, which is smaller than the RA40, XT130, MS65 etc. If you wanted to use MS65 hubs you'd have to upgrade the struts first.

I believe that some sprinters have a larger stub axle, these sprinters also have a different spacing between the bolt holes on the bottom of the strut.
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Mon, 31 May 2004 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i do have just not at the moment just gotta wait 4 tax to come back and to get my new job up and going diff isn't to much trouble just wanted more help with the front end . and thought if people had done something like this b4 it might get me started ... like if i need different struts , hubs ,brakes all help is appreciated. and will share my results because sprinter is a way of life to some people.
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Thu, 24 June 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will RA40, XT130 fit into a sprinter .. i know i will have to have lower springs but will they bolt in ...

[Updated on: Thu, 24 June 2004 07:27]

mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Thu, 24 June 2004 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.twincam.org/forums/index.php?showtopic= 776
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Thu, 24 June 2004 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dude: I WISH I had 4-bolt hubs!!!!!!!!!!!!

The celica's 5x100 pattern is heller-gay, 'coz hardly anyone makes decent wheels in that pattern. 4x100 and 4x114.3 are common as hell, with plenty of aftermarket support. most 4-bolt rims have a static load rating of 620-690kg, heaps for tha sprinta.

What was the reasoning behind wanting to go 5-bolt, anyway?
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Thu, 24 June 2004 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also, another good diff to use is crown diffs. IMHO better than a hilux for certain applications.
1. solid
2. large disc brakes.
3. 5x114.3
4. shares lsd with early celica/supras (m2/m3??)
7. 7.5 F series, plenty of ratios..
8. wider but can use FWD mags to slightly "offset" the problem
my 2 cents...
Logan
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Tue, 06 July 2004 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
getting shortened vl diff going to use xt130 or ra40 struts shortened. getting blank hubs and discs studded to the commy pattern...just a bit more planning
st184 sillycar
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Wed, 07 July 2004 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
MMmmmmmmm....... I know you don't have to justify youself to some dude tapping away at a keyboard, whom you've never met, but....

WHY ? ? ?

I imagine there'd be a heap of new and 2nd hand aftermarket bits in Japan. Brakes, diffs, suspn etc.etc. - Bolt-on stuff. How come you're so keen on 5-bolt hubs again?
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Wed, 07 July 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mrf_ool wrote on Wed, 07 July 2004 02:59

getting shortened vl diff going to use xt130 or ra40 struts shortened. getting blank hubs and discs studded to the commy pattern...just a bit more planning

Why go Commodore?
Just use a Falcon diff, basically the same but shares same stud pattern as Toyota. Would then match MS65 hubs.

Callum
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Wed, 07 July 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
or hilux
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Wed, 07 July 2004 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do the Hilux diff for sure... but if you insist on using a Bogwarmer diff, it's probably easiest to start with an R31 Skyline one - same diff centre as the commdore and falcon.

Should you insist on a commodore diff, you can fit commodore hubs (earlier type) straight onto ra40/ra60/etc. struts. Evil or Very Mad
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Wed, 07 July 2004 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the things u learn hey Smile
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Thu, 08 July 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do u mean by early vb-vh or what...
mrf_ool
Forums Junkie

May 2004

Re: 5 stud conversion for AE86 need help Thu, 08 July 2004 06:30 Go to previous message
just so everybody knows why . I'm using commodore because i want VY SS wheels i want them. and i can got a vl diff for nothing and gonna cost me about 500 to 600 to get it shortened and brackets ready to fit.. my little brother is goning to his to when he gets his licence ( about time he is 20). and everyone does criticise things people do everybody is a great help which is very helpful and lets people get more for there money .which most of us dont have..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4AGE 20v or 4AGE 16v????
Next Topic:removing ae92 seca rear bars..
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 06:37:11 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006091833114624 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.