Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Wiring question (12V from ACC)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Wiring question (12V from ACC) Mon, 31 May 2004 00:26 Go to next message
At the moment I am converting to power windows in my ST162 Celica. Since it didn't have power windows from the factory, there is no wiring for them in the loom and I have to add the wiring myself.

I have done all the wiring except for the actual +12V power wires themselves. I'd like to hook them up thru the ignition so they will only operate when the key is turned to ACC or beyond, but I'm not sure how to wire it up to acheive this.

Anyone know the best place to wire into? Splicing into another wire? Position on a fuse box? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Matt
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Wiring question (12V from ACC) Mon, 31 May 2004 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just splice it.
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: Wiring question (12V from ACC) Mon, 31 May 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I probably will do that, but I have no idea what wire to actually splice into?

I realise that's a ridiculous question considering the number of wires in a car, but an idea of which item's power wire would be best to splice into would be a great place to start and I can track it from there.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has wired up some accessory in a similar fashion and what power wire you spliced into.

Thanks again,
Matt
matt86sx
Regular

April 2004

Re: Wiring question (12V from ACC) Mon, 31 May 2004 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I probably will do that, but I have no idea what wire to actually splice into?

I realise that's a ridiculous question considering the number of wires in a car, but an idea of which item's power wire would be best to splice into would be a great place to start and I can track it from there.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who has wired up some accessory in a similar fashion and what power wire you spliced into.

Thanks again,
Matt
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wiring question (12V from ACC) Mon, 31 May 2004 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just get a multimeter, test the wires coming out of the ignition switch. There should only be 6 or so. Turn ingition switch to ACC, test each wire, you'll find more than one with +12, so then turn IGN off and see if there is still power or not. Process of elimination really.

Otherwise, you can take the cover off from the steering column and usually on the IGN switch it says what wire is what.

Or get a wiring diagram for your car and see what colour wire it should be.

Cheers
Joel
paddles
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Wiring question (12V from ACC) Mon, 31 May 2004 07:20 Go to previous message
A good place to start to look will be at your stereo. They usually have a switched supply from the ACC position. Use it to switch a relay for your power.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:S/C on GZE dont spool....Help!!!
Next Topic:Weight Reduction
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 05:34:57 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059831142425537 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.