Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
ke55 running like shit Mon, 31 May 2004 10:16 Go to next message
after installing new plugs + leads plus doing a service (new oil + filter) my ke55 is still running like crap, blowing smoke and missing when i put my foot down, sometimes its ok other times its really bad to the point where i has virtually no power

ive been told it might be the timing, im getting it looked at on saturday by a mate whos a mechanic jsut wondering if neone can help me out, i thikn i have a knocking motor also can u tell by listening with the bonnet up i can hear a knocking when idling?
  Send a private message to this user    
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke55 running like shit Mon, 31 May 2004 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'll hazard a guess that it is the points (if it has any) or the distributor base (vacuum advance mechanism) is loose.

Apart from that, the description is vague and hard to diagnose without seeing and hearing it.
tripmcneily
Regular

May 2004
tripmcneily
Re: ke55 running like shit Mon, 31 May 2004 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mite a stupid question but have you got your firing order right?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: ke55 running like shit Mon, 31 May 2004 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like you've got your leads on wrong.

tripmcneily
Regular

May 2004
tripmcneily
Re: ke55 running like shit Mon, 31 May 2004 23:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh dude, like me and grega said make sure you have you leads in the right order. It's a simply mistake to make and I have seen it happen!! (yes I am guilty myself!)
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ke55 running like shit Tue, 01 June 2004 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much oil did u put in?
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ke55 running like shit Tue, 01 June 2004 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all valid points ill try the leads bit, i put them back on as they came off, made sure i didnt 1 lead + plug at a time but then again the car wasnt too crash hot when i did it

prolly bout 4L of oil, i think i might have put a bit too much?

thanks guys
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ke55 running like shit Tue, 01 June 2004 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok all the leads r ok but i checked the oil and its way over on the dipstick im jsut gona empty it out and start again tomorrow, how much oil would u recomend?

the thing is the car ran really smooth to begin with but then jsut got worse and worse, and it idles kinda like a rota but not as bad if u understand?
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ke55 running like shit Tue, 01 June 2004 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get the compression checked.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ke55 running like shit Tue, 01 June 2004 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i was thinking the engine was fugged im jsut gettin fitting prices on them atm, anyone know if someone can put another 4k in if i provide the engine? and how much?

thanks
sik sx
Regular

I supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: ke55 running like shit Tue, 01 June 2004 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
could easily be ur timing..when my timing was off it majourly lacked power and sounds like shit..im not sure if the oil matters as long as its not half way up the stick..other wise i dunno..that knocking couls be the big end bearing..i can hear that on mine to Mad and i just F@#$% replaced them..could be a number of other things to good luck dude
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ke55 running like shit Tue, 01 June 2004 16:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok ill be more detailed with what i mean

sometimes when i start from cold the car runs really rough no matter how long i leave it to warm up with the choke on, and it blows black smoke, after its warm and i release the choke and give it a little revs for a bit the smoke clears but still runs shitty. other times the car starts and runs perfectly from cold.

getting the timing looked at by a friends whos a mechanic on saturday hopefully. but the thing i dont understand is the car runs inconsistantly so im confused. there will be no point in spending big money on tryin to fix it up, the most ill rpolly spend is about 150 for the motor and 150 for fitting as im planning on doing a 4AGE 100kw conversion as soon as i cut out and fix up all the rust.

thanks for your help

dom
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ke55 running like shit Tue, 01 June 2004 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have had it where the pig-tail off the points has been faulty - get all sorts of trouble.
KE55_rolla
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: ke55 running like shit Fri, 04 June 2004 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
domasik wrote on Tue, 01 June 2004 14:06

all valid points ill try the leads bit, i put them back on as they came off, made sure i didnt 1 lead + plug at a time but then again the car wasnt too crash hot when i did it

prolly bout 4L of oil, i think i might have put a bit too much?

thanks guys

Have a ke55 with a 4k myself, 3.5l of oil is all it takes...
i would definatly check the points, not many things go wrong with the little engines but i thinks you will be suprised when you take the cap off.

points are only a couple of bucks at the shops and about 5 mins to change.

the knocking noise that you are hearing my be a problem with the valves. i burned out a valve in my 1st engine, still drove, gutless as all shit though.
KE55_rolla
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: ke55 running like shit Sat, 05 June 2004 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
an after thought, your chock may be stuck on also...

would explain the black smoke!!! Laughing
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ke55 running like shit Sun, 06 June 2004 15:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah the smoke clears away after i release the choke

im gettin a mate to check the timing on sat if thats not gona fix it ill jsut pick up anouther 4k

cheers

dom
hemi twofifteen turbo
Regular

October 2003
Re: ke55 running like shit Sun, 06 June 2004 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is your carby any good? -- blocked fuel lines, blocked fuel filters can all do what you describe. Or blocked jets or a bit of shit that is in one that may move around.. Your mech mate should be able to sort it all out.

If the car drives perfect sometimes, and shit others, then it's 99 percent an electrical problem (ie points as forementioned)
or a loose wire on something..

Another good way to check is if the motor is spluttering sounding like a WRX, you could have a cylinder down, to find the one it is, with the engine running, remove one spark lead at a time, replacing each one as you go to see which one has no effect. This can isolate a dodgy cylnder..

domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ke55 running like shit Mon, 07 June 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok well if its an igniting problem then itd be my points cause i got new leads and plugs, which has made a good imporvement but still not perfect, when i get time ill take of the dizzzy cap and have a look, its not reallyt revving like a wrx nemore only when its cold with the choke on but usually if i drive it as soon as i start and and run it for a while then its ok
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ke55 running like shit Mon, 07 June 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you put your foot down on any stock 4K engine it will basically die and splutter..they are not powerful.
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ke55 running like shit Mon, 07 June 2004 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
79rollaboy wrote on Mon, 07 June 2004 15:58

if you put your foot down on any stock 4K engine it will basically die and splutter..they are not powerful.

in power terms yes but die and splutter while putting your foot down no, doesn't matter how much power its got.

domasik
it's queit normal for some older motors to spluter and run like shit when there stone cold best advice would be to go easy on the car while its warming up do you live in a very cold place? that would explain a lot does the car run like shit on very cold mornings? but not to bad on days when it isn't as cold?
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: ke55 running like shit Mon, 07 June 2004 20:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sometimes its runs perfectly on really cold mornings other times it feels like i might not make it home, it comes and goes thats the annoying bit u know, so its hard for me to test whether certian things are causing it to happen. when i say it splutters i mean i have no throttle response as apposed to when the problem isnt happening, so when the problem doesnt happen even when i put my foot down the car does something positive
mick
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: ke55 running like shit Tue, 08 June 2004 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes i know that feeling very well! my old WB Holden ute i had was a bastaurd of a car to drive on really cold mornings and used to splutter and carry on when stone cold but after driving it for a bit it got better as it drove along and wouldn't have any problems from then I used to warm that thing up up for a few minutes (sit and idle) in the colder months that seemed to help mine alot. if it goes away after you've driven it for a while thats why but if it comes and goes when the motors warm thats something else
Muzza
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: ke55 running like shit Mon, 05 July 2004 16:26 Go to previous message
Hey just some ideas coz i had this problem too,

Check your PCV valve and hose, the one that goes from the rocker cover to underneath the back of the carb, try removing the hose from the carb and putting ur finger over where the hose was and see how it idles when you create a vacuume with ur finger.

Check the power lead (yellow and green i think) that goes from the thermostat switch to the vacuum pump, (on the right of the thermostat behind the fan) for the timing advance for when the engines cold and at high speed. Mine was loose and i got backfiring up the carb when i accelerated cold.

Check the idle mixture screw, if its to rich you get black smoke when you first rev after idle, and it runs on the verge of stalling when idling.

and as someone already mentioned, you may have loose muck in the float chamber of the carb that sometimes blocks a jet. clean ur carb right up, it helps.

check all your valve clearances.

anyway, hopefully i could help, i probly couldn't but those things seemed to solve my problems Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP: wiring ae112r foglights
Next Topic:how to identify between 4age engines?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 02:07:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061771869659424 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.