Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
icon5.gif  AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Tue, 20 January 2004 13:22 Go to next message
hi all,

recently i bought a set of wheels for my sprinter, they are 15 by 6.5 inchers, +20 offset.

they seem to fit perfectly, but i am having a few issues and don't know which way to go to sort them out.

one (small?) issue is that the centrebore is slightly too big for my hubs, is this a huge problem? i am going to see about getting some rings machined up to fit in between the hub and wheel to fix this. (anyone done this before?)

also, the wheels have been drilled to suit tapered wheel nuts, but i think my wheel studs are only long enough for the standard type wheel nut system (where the wheel nut itself fits inside the wheel and "grabs" more wheel stud thread)

basically i'm trying to decide between two options,

1. drill/ream holes in wheels to suit standard wheel nuts (can you get lock nuts to replace standard sprinter wheel nuts?) and just use original wheel nuts, as there seems to be a large enoguh flat section before the "small" hole for this to work.

2. fit longer wheel studs and use tapered wheel nuts

a friend of mine mentioned that he used mitsubishi sigma studs as a replacement, i might give them a go.

which one is less dodgy?

[Updated on: Wed, 21 January 2004 01:36]

Send a private message to this user    
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 wheel queries (NOT about offset, i have that sorted out) Tue, 20 January 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Make up rings to fill the gap in the centre. Not too hard.

2. longer studs - I THINK it's Magna studs that are the go, once again, easy to fix!
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 wheel queries (NOT about offset, i have that sorted out) Tue, 20 January 2004 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks MRSHIN, will look into the rings today.

i wonder if aluminium or steel would be better, probably not heaps of difference.

you wouldnt have any spare AE86 wheel studs lying around for purposes of comparison would you?

slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 21 January 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this thread was on club 4ag awhile ago. i think the answer moto (the web master) gave was fj landcruiser. from tha back of one i think he said. theyre 10mm longer.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 21 January 2004 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yah, the rings you usually buy are aluminium. Thin and weak as piss, used only to ensure the wheel is properly centred before the nuts are tightened.

I'd have some stocky studs kicking around in my pile of unloved struts I reckon Evil or Very Mad
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 21 January 2004 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
slydar, thanks, ill look into them, hopefully they cost less than 10 bucks each.

another quick question, can you just hammer the studs out with the hubs on the car? or am i going to have to pull them off and re-tighen my wheel bearings? (should have checked when i replaced them) somethign tells me that they will run into the brake disc.

i looked through my ae86 chassis manual (that i got from this site) but it was a bit hazy on details on fitting non standard wheels.

if that is all the rings do, i might not even bother, as the tapered nuts will centre the wheels themseves?

mrshin, if you are willing to pull a stud out of one of your spares, ill come out and pick it up. you are somewhere in the vicinity of blackburn aren't you? i dropped some sprinter bits off to some guy out somewhere near there, and he mentioned that you lived somewhere closish to where he was, if that makes sense.

thanks for the replys!
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 21 January 2004 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I live in Montrose, which isn't THAT far from Blackburn really. If you like to come over sometime, I can give you a stud etc. and show you how to change them over as well as look at wheel bearings etc. - I'd hate for you to get it wrong Evil or Very Mad PM me if you like Very Happy
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 21 January 2004 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sigma wheel studs, direct fit and they are far longer.

no if's or buts... they DO fit.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Thu, 22 January 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
simon thanks, that is EXACTLY what i wanted to hear.

they aren't too longer are they? (im sure im just being stupid now)

they would have to be cheap too i'm thinking, i could buy a second hand sigma for the same amount as 16 wheel studs from toyota.

ill do some price checking.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Thu, 22 January 2004 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go to wreaker with a nut and a hammer

bash out sigma studs

put in pockets

walk out

smile Very Happy

they are about 15-20mm longer, excelent!
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Fri, 23 January 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Landcruiser studs are teh same thing. Probably longer. I think my mate picked them up for me for 24/28 bux for a set.
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Sat, 24 January 2004 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
84 on landcruisers studs definitely dont fit--tried.
SW20 MR2 are 15mm longer and drop in. Have done this on several
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Sun, 25 January 2004 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice Products do a longer wheel stud, i think the number is ns3400
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Tue, 01 June 2004 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to bring this up again. The SW20 stud i got today from toyota ($4) was only 5mm longer than the stock studs Sad
Ill go with some aftermarket ones from Bursons
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Tue, 01 June 2004 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai, NS3400 (thats a stud and nut kit) from niceproducts, i got a quote from repco for $3.80 a stud/nut, hold them to it ajd just so it! have a look on their site, they have dimensions of all of them.

edit:

http://www.niceproducts.com.au/wheel_stud/index.ht m

Stud & Nut Knurl Dia. Length Shoulder Thread

NS3400 14.1mm 73.0mm 11.2mm M12X1.50

hurry up and buy!

[Updated on: Tue, 01 June 2004 23:58]

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 02 June 2004 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Noice, ill go pick some up today.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 02 June 2004 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Which repco was that? Because the Nunawading one wants $8 each :S
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 02 June 2004 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cant remember, i think i called the main office, and when a mate's mate at auto one called them (to get me a better price) they wouldnt give him one.

they may have upped the prices, or the guy i was talking to may have been "playin with it".

tell them that you know womeone who got a quote for them at that price, and then ask them the old repco "can you do better"

good luck, my 280zx wheels fit with the standard studs, lucky me.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 02 June 2004 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, i told them that a friend had gotten a quote for $3.80 each and he said he cant even buy them for that much.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 02 June 2004 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh well, you tried, i should have grabbed a few sets when i had the chance.

did you call the "main office"? maybeye they have old lists or something,

i thought 60 bucks for the lot was pricy enough, let alone 120!

try orderign the studs only, although i think wheel nuts would be pretty cheap, and wouldnt contribute to the price greatly.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 02 June 2004 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You cant, ive bought nice studs before for other cars, and they only come in the pack.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 02 June 2004 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 10:20

Yeah, i told them that a friend had gotten a quote for $3.80 each and he said he cant even buy them for that much.

I paid $5.60 each for them direct from the SA Supplier, but from what you have said you need them for, they are WAAAAAAAY to long for your application.

In my app, I have a thicker disc and a 20mm spacer, and they are just right.

Go the Stigma option.

Cheers

MB
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 02 June 2004 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For shiny's application, maybe they are too long. For mine on the other hand where ill be running a variety of offsets and spacers.
As well as disc over hat for the rear wheels they will be good.

I could go the stigma but i like the flexibility of having longer wheel studs. As well as the fact that after sitting in a car where a wheel has sheared off at 160km/h because of old wheel studs i dont want to take the risk.
_Why_
Regular

February 2003
Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 02 June 2004 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry to steal this topic but i was recently looking at rims that fit a car with 40offset but don't fit my sprinter (they hit the shock)

would replacing the bolts on the hub the way to go? with the magna ones as u guys have mentioned?

rough cost?

or should i just look at entirly different rims?
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Wed, 02 June 2004 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'd need huge spacers, 20mm or more!
Get different wheels.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Sat, 05 June 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think this sums up the long stud thing.

http://www.dysfunction.ws/albums/Sprinter/DSCF0002_1_002.sized.jpg
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Sat, 05 June 2004 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I think they're kinda similiar to the ones I've got, only I think mine are even longer... they're weapons!
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 wheel stud, wheel nut queries, what (cheap) longer wheel studs definately fit? Sat, 05 June 2004 11:25 Go to previous message
They are NS3400
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Power Windows on 4th Gen Not working... DOH!!
Next Topic:1ggte turbos not working!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 02:52:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0079460144042969 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.