Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Tue, 01 June 2004 23:48 Go to next message
I have a VN in-tank fuel pump complete from strainer to mounting plate that I want to use to test my 1G-GZE engine. I want to set this up outside the car. What is the best way to go about this ?
I'm wary of sticking it in a bucket half full of petrol and hooking up my 12V battery charger to the power wire, especially if the power to the pump on a VN runs through some sort of transformer / resistor and the voltage that drives the pump is milli-amps/milli-volts rather than 4 amp 12 volts that the charger produces.
Thanks,
Mitch.
  Send a private message to this user    
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Tue, 01 June 2004 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just run it off a battery, it will only "draw" as much current as it needs. i highly doubt that it would be anything but 12 volts, too.

i dont think it is very easy to mount an intank pump outside the car, i have looked at mine and it seems impossible, as there isnt enough of an intake pipe to get a hose onto.

just mount it in the tank in a swirl pot, or get the tank baffled.

i have an inline fuel pump of unknown origin and condition if you want it
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Wed, 02 June 2004 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just want to test the motor and see if I can get the thing to run for 60 seconds, it won't be a permanent arrangement. I think I have blown up the electric in-line external pump while testing my wiring and this is just to see if I have got the rest of the motor right this time.
I'm loathe to wire it and have a stray spark from a burning wire drop into the fuel bucket.
Tank is already baffled, particularly around the pick-up pipe (with strainer).
What is the inlet and outlet pipe sizes of your unknown in-line pump please ?
Thanks,
Mitch.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Wed, 02 June 2004 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you heat shrink/tape up the connections nicely and put the battery a good distance away from the bucket, and use the same gauge or thicker wire as the fuel pump uses you should be fine. i'd use a cut down lawnmower tin or something, and hang it from a piece of wood over the top with wire (not electrical wire)

and maybeye have a fire extinquisher, or at least some marshmellows if it goes up. and if it does catch on fire, dont tip the can over.

test your inline pump too,

my pump is at a mates house, so i dont exactly know what sizes the lines are.
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Wed, 02 June 2004 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah yes, you have made some good points here, thank you.
I do have some long (5 metres) heavier gauge wire, timber and a fire extinguisher in the garage, so I will be as careful as I can.

Thanks for the tips mate.
Mitch.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Wed, 02 June 2004 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
two things..

1. remember to do it outside, preferably on a windy day..

2. fuel vapours are heavy and travel along the ground.

fwiw a mate and i used to play with flammables... with petrol, a saucer of it can be ignited from at least 5m away from the vapour spreading along the ground... scary seeing a 10m diameter fire carpet igniting Wink

be careful
Cya, Stewart

ps, as i was telling a mate a few days ago (if you have kids) get them to "hold this and point at dady when he catches fire" Very Happy
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Wed, 02 June 2004 00:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Stewart,
Now you have really scared me silly.....!!!!!!!!! Crying or Very Sad

I do have kids and my 7 year son has always wanted to let a fire extinguisher off, so at may as well be me !

I have a fire blanket at home so I will have that handy as well.

Cheers,
Mitch.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Wed, 02 June 2004 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just another thought... how hard would it be to get one of those cheap mower fuel containers, cut a hole at the top, and bolt in the pump assembly? even if it doesn't seal perfectly, some silicon around the edges will stop vapours for a little while, or if you are keen, epoxy it in... then at least the fuel is pretty well contained.. better than bucket Wink

make sure the electrical connections at the pump end are solid, and run the other end to a battery.. chargers often provide much more than 12V depending on load... and pumps can draw 5-10A!!

if you have a battery isolator switch, set that up at the battery, with battery 5m away or so.... at least you won't need to be anywhere near the fuel...

mmm fear of fuel and fire is a good thing Very Happy saves you skin from turning into bacon Wink

have fun Very Happy
Cya, Stewart
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Wed, 02 June 2004 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stewart,
A bloody good idea - thank you. The pipes between the pump and the top mounting plate zig-zag a bit so they may be too big to fit inside a $5 fuel tin but I will check it out.
Certainly getting somewhere near the original tank configuration is a godo idea.
In fact I even have a spare RA23 tank (out of the car) and I can remove the top plate where the pick-up/return pipes drop and see if the VN pump is a close fit.

Having been a flag marshal at Wanneroo Raceway for 18 years I have seen enough crashes and fuel fires to have a very healthly respect for fire mate !

Cheers,
Mitch.
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Wed, 02 June 2004 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1: Walk down to Clint's house
2: Knock on the door
3: Talk to the dog while Clint comes out of the shed or from the back
4: Say; "Good day, how is you sir?!" like you normally do
5: Wait for short gruff reply if I'm still asleep, or long winded reply about my day if I've been up for a while, in return
6: Ask to borrow an external EFI fuel pump
7: Receive a EFI fuel pump on loan!
8: Walk back to your house and connect
9: Place receiver line in the jerry can
10: Prime pump
11: Kick it in the guts
12: Marvel at the wonder of the modern internal combustion engine
13: Worry about the noise limits and the cranky Italain up on the corner with the vege patch
14: Turn motor off, happy in the knowledge it now works
15: Walk back to Clint's house
16: Knock on the door
17: Talk to the dog while Clint comes out from the shed or from the back
18: Hand pump back
19: Say; "thank you very muchly sir" like you normally do
20: Then say; "I'll leave you in pieces" like you also normally do
21: walk away content!
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Wed, 02 June 2004 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CLG,
Damn you know me too well Surprised , and I need to change my greetings and
farewells......and stop talking to the dog as the bloody thing still keeps barking at me....
Mitch.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Wed, 02 June 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're going to mount the pump in a tin, why would you want to necessarily keep it attached to the bracket? Why not just take it off, and stick it in a hole in the tin. As long as the pump is submerged, has power and a hose attached to the outlet, it is happy.

For testing, I use an old external pump, a 20L drum, a few fittings and a length of fuel hose. That way I can attach it to any engine in a few minutes. The return line is a hole in the lid with a hose in it Evil or Very Mad Simple, cheap, and works well...
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Wed, 02 June 2004 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Mitch/Clint,
I'm about 1 week away from wanting to do the same test.
I connected my hacked up RA60 loom/Instrument cluster today to the 1J today, plugged in the ECU & igniter and hand cranked it over. To my relief, the ECU/igniter sent sparks to the appropriate plugs Very Happy
All that is left now is to strap it down to a pallet, give it fuel & see what happens.
Any chance I can borrow the complete 'rig'?

Regards

Peter
ra23celica
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Fuel Pump Test Rig - Help Please Thu, 03 June 2004 00:36 Go to previous message
Thanks Mrshin, some good ideas for me there.

Peter,
I asked this question as I thought I had fried my external pump on the car, but it seems to be working again now.
My problem seems to relate to earthing the starter motor, or lack of it on my car. So I might ask another question on the forum.

The upshot is that I may not need to make up a rig, but if I do,
I will go the external pump and jerry can way, as it has a greater separation between the electric's of the pump and the fuel in the container.

Sorry I can't help you right now. If I do set-up a unit, I will PM you and you are more than welcome to borrow it.

Cheers,
Mitch.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20v CV Joint Boots/Grease
Next Topic:Mods to ae82 4age??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 05:06:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058410167694092 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.