Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 01:17 Go to next message
When i get back from holidays at the end of the year, i plan to start a project to build a sub 10 car.

I am not a big into drag, but one of the things on my list of things to do with my life is to build and drive a sub 10 car. Just one run down the track sub 10, then sell the car and walk away (alive).

I do want the car to be safe (of course) but as little $$$ spent the better!

What cars would you guys recommend? with what engines? turbo, nos? what would be the go?

I know a mechanic who is willing to help out, so hopefully most of the labor should be free, so we are just looking at minimising the $$$ on parts!!
  Send a private message to this user    
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just build a 13B turbo grenade engine..... It'll be good for that 1 run you want, but that'll be it! Very Happy
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 01:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Depends if you want it road legal or not.

Without huge money, I probably wouldn't be looking to use a Toyota engine.

The pick of engines would have to be a 13BT, and put into a KE20 or similar small four cylinder car. I wouldn't expect any change from $20k to do it properly.

If you've got $20k to spend then let us know and we'll go into more detail on what you need.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sub 10 on a budget I would think rotary(13BT) is your best bet.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 June 2004 01:42]

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hopefully it would be something i could recoup some of the cost from afterwards!
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Over a year or two i wouldn't expect much change from 20.

Road legal would be nice...but not essential!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
king superlows
interceptor rims, bald tyres (slickz)
level 5 weight reduction (not including sub box)
Laughing

seriously this is a silly idea. One run and then sell it? think of the money u lose from building then selling the car. no one will buy the car for the same amount of $ that u poured into it.

your worried that more than 1 run u are liable to kill yourself yet u want to embark on a project to build a sub 10 second car as cheap as possible?

you'd be better off looking for someone with a sub 10 second car and "buying" a drive if u only want 1 run.

Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did i mention it as a sensible idea...not everything i do is sensible, in fact most thing aren't!

Rob, that is a pretty sensible suggestion, know of anyone who would have a suitable donor.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually cancel that, part of the fun would be in the build...as i said sensible is not the key word, and $$$ is not a major player!
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Then again i might get bored with the idea, and just buy another car for the daily use...mmm supra
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Building a 10 second car is a very expensive AND time-consuming exercise. You con't just slap some hi-po bits together and expect to run 10's; what you'll probably do instead is wheelspin, break something, crash into a wall, or all of the above (probably in that order).

I can think of better ways to keep myself occupied. Street cars are a much better idea because you can drive them more than once a month, and don't have to trailer the bloody thing everywhere!
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some guys I knew a few years back had a 10 sec RX2 that they used to drive every weekend and never trailered it anywhere.

Just do it Squid!
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie - I have a a street car which i am extremely happy with...why have another? wouldn't that be more of a waste of time and effort...putting all that money intos something i have already got?

AE86slut - That is the spirit I am looking for!! I was thinking of a subaru brumby ute (small light) with a wrx donk would be a good way start...but I just don't like subies hrmmm.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whatever. It's your time/money/life.

The odds are pretty high you'll abandon the idea before you even get half way though. Smile
AE86slut
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forget the Scooby-Doo......

As I said before, if you want to run a 10 sec pass and don't care if it blows up after that, just get hold of a 13B and put it in a 1300 or something..... Wind the boost up to 30psi and hold on!

Of course, there is more to it than this, but relatively fu(k all compared to trying to do 10's in something else.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie - You clearly don't know me...

You see if I start I will finish...The only chance of me not finishing is if i don't start...which i am currently waivering on, but i have at least 6 months to procrastinate.
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You are probably best off buying a rail dragster less engine (No not top fueller) just an old rail, engine in front, fit with 1UZ 2 x CT26's and run methanol, or nitrous small block.

This is the cheapest way of going fast (the rail, not the 1UZ).
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Best Bet for Sub 10s Wed, 02 June 2004 06:07 Go to previous message
If I remember correctly an old issue of Zoom from about 3 years ago had a rusty old ugly looking datto 120Y with multi coloured panels etc. Running a 13B turbo and an upgraded diff of some sort to take the punishment and it ran into the 10's with a set of slicks. The finer details I can not remember.

The moral of their story was that they had scavenged up a scrappy looking 10 second car for some absurdly cheap amount of cash like $4500 total which included buying the car and engine package. How much of the story was true I don't know? and how long it lasted is anyones guess?

I say gopher it!!! There is no "easy" 10 second car though. Not unless we are living 2Fast 2Furious style and pimpin' about in our 10 second street Honda's (Like some Canberrans would like to think Rolling Eyes )

2 Fast 2 Furious is on most Friday nights at Hume, an assortment of 20 second (or slower) street cars can be seen strutting their stuff! Very impressive Laughing especially the single spinner burnouts.

My only input, small light car + decent engine. My bias would be toward the KE20/25 Very Happy and something either 2L or rotary.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 June 2004 06:13]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:EOI: AE86 queries
Next Topic:fender mirror
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 18 20:15:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051538944244385 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.