Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 02:25 Go to next message
heys guys

Im planning on putting water injection on the Gt4 after its rebuild..

need some advice suggestions ETc and experiennces with Water injection - to point me in the right direction ..

So far ive looked at ERL setups , but ive found out that my new ECu being built can also control it as well

How do you find it?
  Send a private message to this user    
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you after a kit (big $$s) or a DIY solution?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either ..

thats why im looking for oppinions for people who have used both ..

i could go stand alone or let my ECU control it ..
people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talk to thechuckster..he has a kit he would most likely sell u cheaply enough as he isnt using it with the new setup
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 08:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was looking into this quite a bit at one point, i think its a great idea and i do plain to do it, in later stages.
I know most half decent aftermarket computers have the funcionability to contorl these through revs..

ie as soon as the car hits 4300rpm the water starts to spray into the throttle bodie and then cuts out at say 7000rpm

i know ems does this, so a neat kit with out the computer would be a greatr idea that would be very cost efective
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you are far better of with a good quality front mount. water injection is for setups were you cant fit a air to air cooling system etc.
mick
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 09:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 19:12

you are far better of with a good quality front mount. water injection is for setups were you cant fit a air to air cooling system etc.
mick

why would you say this?
the heat transfer of metal to water is sooo much better than metal to air. but i think you are referring to water spray(over the intercooler) rather than water injection which is water\coolent is sprayed into either compressor or combustion chamber inlet, this is done in order to provide a cooler intake temp...i think its similar to alcohol injection(methanol etc)
well thats my very basic understanding of it
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it will be used in conjubtion with a Group A water to Air intercooler , which in their own respect are very efficient for a street car
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 19:43

kingmick wrote on Wed, 02 June 2004 19:12

mick

why would you say this?
the heat transfer of metal to water is sooo much better than metal to air. but i think you are referring to water spray(over the intercooler) rather than water injection which is water\coolent is sprayed into either compressor or combustion chamber inlet, this is done in order to provide a cooler intake temp...i think its similar to alcohol injection(methanol etc)
well thats my very basic understanding of it

hence why its called a "water meth injection"
that just seems to ring a bell
ive read about it in zoom(not the most credible source) but it worked for them(then again... everything does)
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should talk to Ed as he's researching injectors suitable for water/meth injection.

My DIY setup sprayed down carbi into the turbo but i had no intercooler. In youcase, you really want a pressurised system spraying post-cooler.

And probably an ECU watching over things - my setup simply ran off manifold pressure - spray started at about 5psi. But there was no control over amount of fluid delivered.

An ecu controling a number of injectors might allow staged and controlable delivery.

Certainly made difference to engine behavior, under 6psi, was prone to detonation/pinging on WoT event's, but not over that limit. And it felt very strong at the higher boost Wink
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would like to try water injection on my 4agte, specialy since i still run the gze ECU. i picked up these 2 aluminium containers when i was at the metal scrap yard last time i was there buying aluminium sheets.
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/aliconts1.jpg
http://www.members.aol.com/feral4mr2/images/alicont3.jpg

havnt measured the capacity of one yet, but would have to be a bit over 5 liters. they have some sort of heating element etc. in the side, i am sure i could mount a pump etc in there instead.
thinking one would make a nice water inj reservior?
celicamad
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Water injection , Thoughts , experience , setups ? Wed, 02 June 2004 12:17 Go to previous message
Autospeed sell water injection kits .
i agree with mick there is no substitute for intercooling . however .we had some reasonable results with water meth injection . even with good intercooling 90%effeciency slight detonation was present in my 1ggze around 3500rpm .

after not being able to find the cause of detonation i considered water injection

adding water meth injection 50/50 mix not only removed detonation but allowed us to run a little more timing with still no detonation issues. The overall result was about a 5% gain .But in an engine where timing changes are not achieved as a result or water injection .or NO detonation is present the power gains would be less.

in the case of the gt4 i belive water injection could help in the event of a heat soaked water to air intercooler . or if you need to run a little more boost . the catch is you need to make sure you dont run out of water ( i installed a low water level alarm)

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Window Scratches from rollers (early model celicas)
Next Topic:Rear speakers AE92 seca
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 11:26:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00508713722229 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.