Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 11 to 1 compression on bluetop?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
franky
Occasional Poster

June 2004

11 to 1 compression on bluetop? Wed, 02 June 2004 17:18 Go to next message
ive bin searching the net for days now....ive got a 4age bluetop tvis map sensor motor in an ae 82 rolla and im starting to hear the infamous knocking noise (however cant complain got the car for $1500 bucks from a wrecker).
from what ive read....i got a few options...
newer 4age smallport head transplant
4agze transplant
4age 20 valve transplant

and i dont want the hassles of engineering/changing computers/harnesses or the thought that i might be buying a grenade

so i decided to re-build my 4age...

now i was thinkin to get some 288 cams with about 8.0 mm lift not too much lift still wanna use the shim over bucket set up.

(some people say big duration and stock computer no-go and i
read that if i bump compression up at the same time i might be ok...so im a little confused there)

and i know i need more compression for the cams....this is where i cant find any good information on the net...i know u can get thinner head gaskets....but my stock compression is 9.4 and im looking to go to 11.0 or there abouts...will a thinner head gasket do enuff?
im guessing not. Im thinkin ill have to shave the head...but can i shave it much...Am i gonna connect valves to pistons/pistons to combustion chambers? ive heard about bottom end realiability problems with shaving head and thin gaket...how is this?

i will need to do to get that 11 to one compression ratio tho...wanna keep stock pistons if possible to keep costs down. got two cousins mechanics so labours cool just need to pay the parts....dont have much cash want to try to maximize it where i can...and im gonna do the exhaust for sure (one day).

if nyone can give me any info on these things or help or comments feel free to write something!

thanx!

[Updated on: Wed, 02 June 2004 17:43]

Send a private message to this user    
TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 11 to 1 compression on bluetop? Wed, 02 June 2004 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that compression requires better than our premium unleaded--forget it.
i have billet cams available but only a few are OK with stock computers. your comment is basically correct
anything above about 9.8:1 is a custom piston. you need to know if you have 19 or 20mm gudgeon pins.
you cant really shave the head much as it hits the valve edges. compression is raised by piston design.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: 11 to 1 compression on bluetop? Wed, 02 June 2004 22:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually that CR is the same as blacktop 20vs. And so is easily possible using Optimax or Ultimate98.

12:1 on the other hand Laughing

EDIT: either that or use a smallport which is already at 10.3:1 CR and then maybe a thinner HG.

[Updated on: Wed, 02 June 2004 22:54]

TerryOBeirne
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 11 to 1 compression on bluetop? Thu, 03 June 2004 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the combsution in the 16V engines is heavily disturbed by high dome (high compression) pistons. The 20V does not have this problem. Also, it has a knock sensor to help manage this problem. You cannot just compare CR's . There is experience that shows cutting the crowns on hi-comp 4AG 16V engines stops some detonation
franky
Occasional Poster

June 2004

Re: 11 to 1 compression on bluetop? Thu, 03 June 2004 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I see...
i got the cams wrong (soree)...they were 280 degrees and 8.0 mm lift...a lil bit more sedate.

oh my engine does have knock sensor...i found out when i put the dizzy timing too high..

im wondering whether u think these cams are a possibility on a stock computer...i can put up with some roughness...how do u think these cams would make my car run? would it be totally useless?

or maybe with a piggyback fueller....

am i right in thinking higher compression will be better for the cams tho?

thanks guys
Flogbag
Regular

December 2003
Re: 11 to 1 compression on bluetop? Sun, 06 June 2004 07:35 Go to previous message
http://www.billzilla.org/4agmods.htm

check out this site it has some info on some mods and wat expected power ud get from doin them
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA40/18RG return lines
Next Topic:Exhaust Turbo, reckon this works?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 06:06:30 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047330856323242 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.