Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

SuperCharged 1G-GTE Tue, 10 September 2002 14:32 Go to next message
anyone seen this done? will the factory gze mounts fit onto a twin turbo engine? i'm hungry for just a bit more power Evil or Very Mad
any info will be greatly appreciated, if u can suppl the parts, even better! thanx guys
  Send a private message to this user    
1G-GE KE35
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Tue, 10 September 2002 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry can't help you - I'm interested in the answer to this as well.

Also, does anyone know if there are any internal differences between the 1G-GTE and 1G-GZE??
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Tue, 10 September 2002 22:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For wot earthly reason would u want to do this?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Tue, 10 September 2002 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uh... the supercharged engines have less power from the factory than the turbo engines. What makes you think this will get you more power??
1G-GE KE35
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Tue, 10 September 2002 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hang on, do you mean you want to supercharge it and turbo charge it i.e twin charge it!!!!

Its been done before on Toyota engines with some sucess, it won't give you more power though, just improved bottom end.

Anyways, I'd still like to know the answers to the original questions if any one knows??
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Wed, 11 September 2002 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want to twin charge, you could try to track down a 1G-GTZE.... I've only heard of them though, never even seen a photo of one...
Twin charging is a waste of effort for a backyarder.

If you're planning on just using the SC14 on a 1G-GTE, my only question is:
WHY?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Wed, 11 September 2002 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bill sherwood had one of these from memory. supercharged AND turboed...

http://www.billzilla.org/rallycar.htm

[Updated on: Wed, 11 September 2002 00:58]

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Wed, 11 September 2002 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, though I ended up not using it and sold it back to the importers I bought it off.
Rolin's have it again, and fingers crossed it'll be ready for the Jamboree in a couple of weeks. Look out for a stock looking but very fast old Hilux ute.

Here's the engine -

http://www.billzilla.org/1ggztefront.jpg

http://www.billzilla.org/1ggzteside.jpg

Estimated at about 450hp, with lots of boost at all revs.
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Wed, 11 September 2002 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy crap! is that thing for real? is it a factory setup? ive never heard of such a monster!

Anyone have any history/facts about that thing?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Wed, 11 September 2002 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure these things start out as a 1G-GZE, then a HKS/TRD/whatever twincharge kit is bolted on. Same deal as the twincharge kit popular with the Mk1 MR2 boys.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Wed, 11 September 2002 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do the factory GZE and GTE run the same low compression?
Dabbid
Forums Junkie

June 2002

Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Thu, 12 September 2002 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WHY!?

my daily driver is a 351 ute, i'm used to having power instantly
its not that i want more power, i want more instant power

i aint no back yarder either, who gave ya that idea??
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Thu, 12 September 2002 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, I think the 1GGZE runs 8.0:1 and the 1GGTE runs 8.5:1
1G-GE KE35
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Thu, 12 September 2002 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Other than compression (and presumably therefore pistons) are there any other internal differences between the 1G-GZE and 1G-GTE????

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Thu, 12 September 2002 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I doubt it.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Thu, 12 September 2002 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dabbid wrote on Thu, 12 September 2002 20:17

WHY!?

my daily driver is a 351 ute, i'm used to having power instantly
its not that i want more power, i want more instant power

Hmm... To each, their own I suppose. Have you ever driven a turbo? The rush is very addictive...
Dabbid wrote on Thu, 12 September 2002 20:17

i aint no back yarder either, who gave ya that idea??

Err... By "backyarder", I meant a one off thing. It's way too mcuh stuffing around to make it worthwhile unless you were going to mass produce it. Even then, I still don't think the benefits outweigh the drawbacks.
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Tue, 17 September 2002 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Before people get too carried away let me point out that there was NEVER a twin-charge kit produced for the 1GGZE. As Norbie suggested, there were single turbo manifolds produced by HKS/TRD but these were predominately used to replace the small twins, not necessarily to twin-charge a GZE engine.

Also, as someone else rightly pointed out, the blower will give huge bottom end torque but the overall power will still be dependant on the size and type of turbo. Even if you do manage to effectively plumb something up, there are other mechanical issues to deal with such as the type of cam to use (supercharging requires short duration, high lift whereas turbo uses long duration, shorter lift) and how the twin-charge valving system will operate.

While twin-charging sounds exciting, the reality is that modern turbo's (having low inertia wheels and design aided by computer) can provide very fast spooling that eliminates poor low-end response. I once got the opportunity to talk to a guy who owned a twin-charged 4AGZE. Even he admitted the set-up was far from perfect and the difference between this and a properly matched modern turbo was questionable.

[Updated on: Tue, 17 September 2002 02:00]

nilezy
Regular

May 2002

Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Tue, 17 September 2002 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey.

I saw this engine at Rolin last I was in there.....
Looked pretty good, except the pipe work didn't look all that impressive though.............

Have you ever driven a supercharged car?? The rush is very different than a turboed car!! I don't want to give my mates corolla back to him now Sad Actually I want to do the same conversion into the 4WD corolla, but i'm not sure that the engine will bolt up to the 4WD gearbox....Anybody??

Yes these new turbo's are pretty good for response, but still don't match the response a supercharger has low down. But these turbo's are very expensive to buy, even secondhand....

I'me pretty sure that the 1GGZE is built in the same fashion as the 4AGZE with all the forged goodies, but the 1GGTE isn't???

So it would be better to use the 1GGZE engine to turbo it, like everbody is doing with the 4AGZE's.

Cheers Nilezy

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Tue, 17 September 2002 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nilezy wrote on Tue, 17 September 2002 12:39

I'me pretty sure that the 1GGZE is built in the same fashion as the 4AGZE with all the forged goodies, but the 1GGTE isn't???

I strongly doubt that, since the GTE runs more boost and has more power than the GZE...
Grant
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Tue, 17 September 2002 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've pulled a few 1GGZE and 1GTTE's apart and the internals are identical. Thick webbing on the block ribs and heavy duty con-rods. They do NOT have forged pistons though. I have never had the interest to cc either engine but the info on Mattys Toyota page suggest compression is 8.0 for the ZE and 8.5 for the TE.

I'm not sure who Nilezy was directing the "Have you ever driven a supercharged car??" at but I was not advocating either method of forced induction, only making the point that trying to make both work effectively is difficult and costly.
hickoz_bro
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Tue, 31 May 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys, my dad is trying to convince me to supercharge my 1GGTE (after i get it in Razz), he supercharged a 4AGTE for a bloke near by here, i think it was in a KExx corolla, had over 300Kw at the wheels, to give you an idea, he saw the same car a few days ago, there was a new monaro, and a beemer playing around at the lights, and after one or two goes it was established the beemer was the better... the last time they lines up at the lights, the corolla joined in the far lane... and left them both standing on the line... apparantly the 1GGTE has bigger oil galleries etc,

note: this is what i've been told... can't guarantee it...
Mr DOHC
Forums Junkie

October 2002

Re: SuperCharged 1G-GTE Tue, 31 May 2005 08:25 Go to previous message
nilezy wrote on Tue, 17 September 2002 12:39

Hey.
Have you ever driven a supercharged car?? The rush is very different than a turboed car!! I don't want to give my mates corolla back to him now Sad Actually I want to do the same conversion into the 4WD corolla, but i'm not sure that the engine will bolt up to the 4WD gearbox....Anybody??

there was a nice AE95 4WD wagon down the coast, had a turbo 4AGZE in it

go to www.boostcruising.com and do a search for it
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ST185 engine lagging problem... 3sgte
Next Topic:RA65 5 speed, W58(7,5)??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 23:27:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0063087940216064 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.