Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » AE86 Street/Track Suspension..

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 01:26 Go to next message
Guys/gals..... after about 2 days of reading AE86 suspension advice threads on Toymods and Club4ag.... all I found was an astonishing amount of advice for drift setups (and noobs asking for them Rolling Eyes ) and such and nothing really for GRIP.

After looking under my sprinter for about an hour I have come to the conclusion that the "whole" suspension is absolutely shagged! I mean everything! The rubber ring things (technical term Very Happy ) that the rear springs sit on are... ummmmm not even there... about 3-4 chunks left squished unable to move because the spring is right on it. Bushes are all gone, ball joints are shagged..... I could keep going.....

So I need advice for a track setup that would still see me get good wear from my tires on the street... I am getting tempted given the amount of info on drift setups to go with that and just continue to use the G/Fs civic for track work and TRY Rolling Eyes to learn how to have fun with a drift setup and forget about tire longevity and all the other unpleasantries associated with driving a drift setup on the road.

So this is my last ditch attempt at getting info for a good track/street setup, one thing that is a must is coilover fronts as I have been told (by Dodgy) that the difference in response to standard MacF strut is out of this world.

So please help........
  Send a private message to this user    
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Well you pretty much run the same spring rates as you would for a drift setup as you want the car to be flat and neutral.

Front coilover conversion is gold on an AE86. I personally feel that a rear coilover set-up requires some real body modifications and diff mounting point mods that I have yet to see in a rear coilover setup. Many would disagree.

For a track car you really don't need to run too much negative camber - well not as much as you would for drifting anyway. On my car I run 2 or 2.5 degrees. Tyre wear is not too bad. Grip is great!

Also you will probably want to run a little less front bar as you want to avoid oversteer (this is pretty much where you play with the setup and strike a balance between oversteer and understeer. A little on the oversteer side as you will have more chance of controlling this on the throttle than understeer) as much as you can.

I am not sure how much Castor I have, though it is much more than standard - I'll have to have a look at my suspension setup print out.

Drift cars like oversteer.

Well that is my basic set-up guide, enjoy

[Updated on: Thu, 03 June 2004 05:35]

SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Youngy, still want more info. Sorry maybe I wasn't too specific on my original post.... I also want advice on actual parts, ie. type of shocks, where to get the parts to convert struts to coilover, brands.....

If possible, if we could get quite alot of good feedback from many people I would love this to be the start of a sticky or a FAQ on getting a good setup for grip and informative on what brands of parts or at least for what applications (ie. GT4 shocks used in sprinter setups, but which GT4... STxxx).

So very interested in making this a very good resource for people to have easy access to because the search funtion was ok, but did not find what I wanted, probably because of people not really wanting a grip setup for AE86, more dedicated to drift.... which isn't a bad thing.... god I love seeing people drift but I prefer to compete in Sprint events/ 7 lap dashes.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 June 2004 02:51]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here is what i have found out, as i am going down exactly the same path as you...

well, here are other people's setups, have a gander,

(these have been reproduced from performanceforums, if anyone wants their fully sikc setup removed, let me know - especially you bill, or just update yours Very Happy)

bill sherwood:

For fast road/light track-

Front suspension :
Poly bushes all round.
Lower front 50mm
Fit 50mm thick roll centre adjusters
220 lb/in springs (editors note, this is 3.928753 kg/mm)
Bilstein/DeCarbon/Koni dampers
Stock anti-roll bar
1° negative camber, 2.5° - 3.5° castor
Strut brace, preferably from strut-to-firewall-to-strut

Rear suspension :
Poly bushes all round, except for the upper-left hand trailing arm which has the stock rubber bushes left in but drilled full of holes (Called a three & a hald link rear end, to improve traction in roll)
Lower 50mm
100 lb/in springs (this is 1.785797 kg/mm)
Bilstein/DeCarbon/Koni dampers
Stock anti-roll bar

Wheels & tyres :
15x7 preferably, but anything from 14x6 up is okay
Tyres no more than 205mm wide, no narrower than 165mm, directional tread

Actually, i might just put that one uo there, as a lot of the info is repeated, here is what i am considering,

tokico HTS 102 shrt stroke all round

http://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/bcpartlist.php?m ake=Toyota&carcode=AE86&intake=NA (search for "tokico" on this page)

front coil over conversion, strut top camber adjusters if i need to run them, front strut brace, 50mm roll centre adjusters, eventlally longer lower control arms, cant be bothered with powersteering arms...

spring rates:

6kg/mm front, 4 kg/mm rear

and for the rest of the rear end, NO coil overs, NO rear "strut brace" as there are no struts to brace, but i will make a body brace that bolts between the seat latch mounts

want to conver tthe rear end to watts link, but that is waaay down the track.

havent decided wether i want poly or new rubber bushes, some claim poly is too harsh...

hope that helps a bit, here are soem links to read

RCAs, and other bits can be found here

http://www.technotoytuning.com/t3_site_pages/produ cts/index.html

info on bushes

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Susp ension%20BUSHINGS.html

etc, etc. trust me, i am in the same boat as you, while the odd bit of dorifto isnt out of the question, i by no means want to turn my car into a dedicated drifter.

[Updated on: Thu, 03 June 2004 05:13]

SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 06:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shinybluesteel wrote on Thu, 03 June 2004 15:10

etc, etc. trust me, i am in the same boat as you, while the odd bit of dorifto isnt out of the question, i by no means want to turn my car into a dedicated drifter.

Yes yes... this is what I am trying to do too!!!! Man you really did know we are in the same boat Very Happy

Ok now onto reading what you have provided, thanks again!
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Speedy - I didn't say coilovers are a must ... but from what I've heard from SimonRX7, it made a whole world of a difference to his car once he installed some, probably more the stiffer springs than the fact it was a coilover.

Coilovers allow more adjustability and is something which may suit me now that I've become a bit more serious about my driving having taken the car out to Lakeside Raceway & the Mt Cotton training track - it's amazing after a couple of laps how you can tell whether your suspension is good or not.

Having the adjustability then would allow me to 'tune' things the way I want it.

What's probably more important is stiffer springs & lots of castor for some feel for a start.

Unfortunately, there is no ultimate setting but what comes down to personal preference and lots of adjustments etc ...

[Updated on: Thu, 03 June 2004 06:57]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill's spring rate suggestions are WAY on the soft side.

regardless of DRIFT or handling, i would go with a 6/4 set up, thats 6kg/mm fronts and 4 kg/mm rears.

Then customise your suspension around that
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dodgy: Yeah I know coilovers are not a must but I feel that I would be better off doing the strut conversion straight up as I am already into track days at QR and would like to attend other events with the sprinter once I am on the road and a bit of a feel for the car has been achieved.

Simon: That is what I was thinking.... way too soft! I was even thinking 8/6 but am thinking again about this.

I know people are reluctant to say get *insert brand name here* shocks, springs, camber tops etc. but I wouldn't mind people giving me some of their experiences with certain brands and their various products.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well my car can be set up for handing AND drive just by adjusting a few simple settings If i fit quality tyres on the rear, soften the shock down a bit. it sticks like shit to a blanket. thats because my "drift" set up, is acctually comprised of a well handling front end + driver imput to make the car slide. The front of my car is about 10 times better then the rear.

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also. some of the best drift cars in the world (IE: D1 cars) are primarily well set up circut cars that can be drifted due to the driver having some damn skill. If you look at their specs, they have semi slick tyres front and rear, While the spring rates are too stiff to be getting the best possible lap times. they would go faster around a corner then most peoples cars in here would driving grip style on thesame corner.
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Over the next few weeks (3-4). My suspension setup will be honed for quickstreet/track.

it will go from;

front;;
-ra60 struts (stock insert)
-low king springs
-rest stock.. all dead

rear;;
-monroe shocks shot.
-low king springs
-custom stabalizer bar
-custom LCA's
-rest stock and dead.

TO::

front;;
-tokico hts 102's
-5kg/mm control low spring
-50mm rca

rear;;
-tokico hts 102's
-4kg/mm control low spring

I still havnt decided if I want to go 6kg/mm at the front. And still am to determin what brand spring I shall get.

That will be the initial setup to get her back on the road.. I will be able to report back on the change of feel in the car. And then slowly overtime I'll spend some more $ and get a front tristrut-brace all new poly bushings. etc etc. And Will report back on each little change =p.

I think A good idea for this thread would be to list workshops that do some good work (although Im doing all that myself) Im going to need someone to mod the struts Im guessing. Workshop recommnedations for this type of work would be cool
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i would look at ditching the RA60 struts then, as the geometry is all wrong for decent handling.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how can you fit 50mm RCA's? I've got some 32mm ones that I made in mine (about how much it was lowered) and the ball joint to rim clearance (due to the control arm being further down) is only around 15mm at a guess...? Do you guys have any issues with this?

Cheers
Wilbo
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I am wanting to keep the original struts..... I have S13 brakes already mated to them with S13 rotors so really just wanting to lop off the required lenth and spring seat and go from there.

Another thing that has been bugging me is the use of polyurathane or rubber bushings...... I have this thing (call me an idiot if you want) but I have this thing about keeping most of the bushings rubber.

This being said, I would like to know is if there are companies that produce rubber bushings that are of a harder rubber than OEM?
slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
like a few people have said, drift set up is not really that radically differant to track/grip. maybe for grip, you just want to run a little softer spring rates (like 6/4 as recomended). another thing to note is that set up is dependant on driver. some people drive smoother, some people throw the car around more, you want a set up to compliment your style, the more ajustable youre setup, the better, basically.
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dunno Speedcore ...

I've already decided to upgrade to a similar setup to what MR2drift and SimonRX7 have ... gonna lay the dosh this weekend but still need to collect my cambertops and pick up some spare AE86 struts.

I've seen what Simon's and Josh's cars can do in the flesh and that's the way I want to go, no other way about it. Very Happy

I know that I'll have problems with heaps of negative camber but I'm sure it'll be outweighed by the positives.

Whilst there is generally a ton of data on what would make an ideal suspension setup, I only know of a couple of people like Simon and Josh that take their AE86's to the track frequently and who continually refine their suspension setups by trial and error.

Unfortunately I won't recommend Fulcrum Suspensions but you might want to try Motson's which can supply a complete Whiteline kit. You can also source Japanese components such as Tein or KYB shocks + springs.

At this stage, I can't say what my setup will consist of apart from still retaining AE86 struts and using HKS cambertops which I'm yet to lay my eyes upon.

I know that I won't be using AE86 shocks but shorter ones from either a GT4 or MR2. Springs will be custom made at this rate by Pedders as I know the manager at one of the branches (I know, some may gasp as to past stories about Pedders however I've faith in this one - he installed my latest 4AG and knows what to do).

Plus all this under the guidance of the person who came up with Simon's & Josh's in the first place so I'm sure that it can only get better from here.

Hopefully no more terminal understeer ... Laughing

Then I can go back to the KE20 ... Razz
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alright, in another of the HUGE lineup of suspension threads i have this to say. This is my setup, and will be almost exclusively used for track, and the occasional twisties.

Front:
Tokico HTS 102s
Tein 8.4kg 65mm springs
Fulcrum Suspension Coilover Collars and Nuts
T3 Upper Spring Hats
Cusco Cambertops
Whiteline adjustable swaybar (stock is cracked)
Nolethane Bushes
T3 35mm RCA

Rears:
Tokico HTS102s
Cusco 6.2kg springs
Whiteline panhard rod
Whiteline adjustable swaybar
Nolethane bushes in a 3.5 or 4-link setup.

Thats about it for mine, i cant think atm too tired.
Maybe talk more about it later.
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 03 June 2004 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oww another suspension thread .

"except for the upper-left hand trailing arm which has the stock rubber bushes left in but drilled full of holes (Called a three & a hald link rear end, to improve traction in roll)"

"Nolethane bushes in a 3.5 or 4-link setup."

I would rethink doing this unless you know exactly which grade { strength } of bushes are used in which location , this is very tricky to do , I Know Bill would know what he is doing . Just that if you get this wrong what will occur is the diff will walk side to side when braking and accelerating , i used this set up for a while was fine until the car got big rear brakes and over 200hp atw . Then it was really very dangerous .
Yes we all should know the ae86's raced here had this done , but also the arm mounting points and bushes where completely different to anything you could purchase , you will have make your own custom fill urethane to get the same rating .

Heres one of mine

Front : Topsecret
Rear : The Same

Sorry anyone who really races is not going to tell .

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 04 June 2004 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow, 8.4kg/mm springs???

say AE86 is 50/50, and weighs about 950kg?
238kg per corner

= 28mm spring deflection under full weight of car...

i know you dorifto boys like your cars stiff, but is that practical on a street driven car??

other thing to consider, is that with such stiff springs, your tyres and bushes are actually providing the suspension.

whilst it may be the fashion to have rock hard suspension on smooth roads in japan... how will it be around sydney Wink

no offence intended.... but if you are going 8kg.. why not 10 or 12?
Cya, Stewart
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 04 June 2004 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Thu, 03 June 2004 19:02

i would look at ditching the RA60 struts then, as the geometry is all wrong for decent handling.

Yep simon I want to do that, but I'm really not sure of the alternatives. There is the RA40 direction. Or I spose I could hunt down trueno struts. But what are the odds of that... =/
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 04 June 2004 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra40 is just as bad, I used to have RA40 coilovers in my ae86 and i had tyo put up with poor feel, poor turn in and understeer due to the geometry being wrong.

8.4kg/mm spring is stiff yes, however the shock ultimatially detirmines how stiff the ride feels on the road.

for what its worth i have 10 kg/mm springs in the front. Now thats stiff Wink its still driveable on bumpy roads, and quite grippy too... it really comes into its element on a smooth road or the track.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 04 June 2004 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
See the 8.4kg springs which i have are going to be a sod on the road, but thats maybe 2% of where ill be driving it. Of course if i end up doing things like the East Coast Rally (closed roads Bathurst) where i may be driving on crappier roads, then ill probably go down to some 6.8kg springs which i was going to use on rear coilovers.

My setup is a track setup, and like improved86 says its not what i actually run, its a good guide though. I have left out LOTS of stuff in that setup which is why it looks really brand name. They are the bits i have _Bought_ and not the bits i have created or modified myself.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 04 June 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the reason you have differenet spring rates front and rear (among other things) is that the front suspension has a mechanical advantage on the spring, so having harder rates at the front would tend to even out the WHEEL RATE.

i think i will try to keep all gemoetry as stock as i can, for example brake upgrades without changing struts etc...

speedcore, could you PM me some info about your S13 brake upgrade?

i almost deleted what bill wrote about the 3.5 link setup, partly because i dont fully understand the reason for it, i assume it has somethign to do with the asymmetry of the panhard rod locating system??

takai, i think i need to drive/sit in your car to get a feel for the rates you use!
improvedae86
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 04 June 2004 10:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3.5 link setup , or remove the upper left hand suspension arm ,

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 04 June 2004 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Remove, owww, thats not quite so cool. Drill out urethane or nolethane ones maybe, but remove......
As for driving my car noway, but sitting in it for a PI lap maybe.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 04 June 2004 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, actually the drive whould have had about 50 Laughing s next to it, but i would love to check out your setup some time, ill give you a yell some time after i put my 4AGE in (in other words, quite possibly not for a few years Very Happy )
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 04 June 2004 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wilbo - I have 35mm RCA's on my car and the tie rod basically touches the rim now because it sits so much lower. I couldn't get away with it being 1mm more.

If you wanted 50mm etc I think you'd need 17" rims Sad

slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 04 June 2004 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3.5 link.. to help stop the binding as the diff moves slightly across (due to the panhard rod) as the suspension compresses.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 04 June 2004 14:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got 40mm rca's and stacks of room between the rim and the tie rod/ball joint assembly.

go figure?
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Mon, 07 June 2004 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey thanks heaps for all the info guys, I'm really trying to figure out the suspension...

Anyhoo I have a few more questions.... the Tokico HTS 102s for the AE86... the 44,000 yen ones are "short stroke yeah? Like there is not another HTS 102 for the AE86 it is all short stroke?

Lets say I get them from japan, and take my struts off and send them to a place to have them converted into coilovers with an 8kg spring, will they now how much to chop and set the shock up for the spring rate? I assume yes but you just never know Rolling Eyes

I ask this cause this is what I am thinking of doing.... getting a hold of the shocks from japan, taking the struts off, getting someone I have in mind to do the conversion........... then doing everything else... bushings, rear shock and spring install etc. with a few mates.

Another thing that I want to know is that when converting the front struts to coilover... do I still need to state how low I want the car to go cause I will want some rear springs (6kg) made at the same time but I need to say how much lower I want them lower yer?

I am not wanting a gutter scraper but want low to have quite good handling characteristics, looks etc. If it helps I will be running 15x7 wheels....... not sure in the offset though.

Sorry I have no idea how low to go..... ideas please...

Once again guys, thanks for all the input and putting up with my posts the size of novels!

Speedy.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Wed, 09 June 2004 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Fri, 04 June 2004 22:23

Wilbo - I have 35mm RCA's on my car and the tie rod basically touches the rim now because it sits so much lower. I couldn't get away with it being 1mm more.

If you wanted 50mm etc I think you'd need 17" rims Sad

hehe glad someone finally saw what I wrote lol

Interesting to get an idea of how some of the other toyotas are set up. (I cant believe they have so much room under their ball joints! lol)

Cheers
Wilbo
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Wed, 09 June 2004 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok,to work out how much to shorten the casing buy is quite simple. measure how much the stock ae86 SHOCK body is, then measure the tokico shock, and then cut out the difference between the two out of the casing.

you COULD run spacers under the shock. i would not. Just makle the strut the right length for the shock.

SPEEDCORE wrote on Mon, 07 June 2004 19:07

Hey thanks heaps for all the info guys, I'm really trying to figure out the suspension...

Anyhoo I have a few more questions.... the Tokico HTS 102s for the AE86... the 44,000 yen ones are "short stroke yeah? Like there is not another HTS 102 for the AE86 it is all short stroke?

Lets say I get them from japan, and take my struts off and send them to a place to have them converted into coilovers with an 8kg spring, will they now how much to chop and set the shock up for the spring rate? I assume yes but you just never know Rolling Eyes

I ask this cause this is what I am thinking of doing.... getting a hold of the shocks from japan, taking the struts off, getting someone I have in mind to do the conversion........... then doing everything else... bushings, rear shock and spring install etc. with a few mates.

Another thing that I want to know is that when converting the front struts to coilover... do I still need to state how low I want the car to go cause I will want some rear springs (6kg) made at the same time but I need to say how much lower I want them lower yer?

I am not wanting a gutter scraper but want low to have quite good handling characteristics, looks etc. If it helps I will be running 15x7 wheels....... not sure in the offset though.

Sorry I have no idea how low to go..... ideas please...

Once again guys, thanks for all the input and putting up with my posts the size of novels!

Speedy.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Wed, 09 June 2004 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Simon-AE86 wrote on Wed, 09 June 2004 18:58

Ok,to work out how much to shorten the casing buy is quite simple. measure how much the stock ae86 SHOCK body is, then measure the tokico shock, and then cut out the difference between the two out of the casing.

you COULD run spacers under the shock. i would not. Just makle the strut the right length for the shock.

it is really that easy

remember tho

measure
test
re-measure
cut

Very Happy
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Wed, 09 June 2004 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so are the tokico HTS 102 designed to be used without spacers?

id rather not use spacers, but i was figuring on having to use them to get the bound/rebound stroke lengths right, that is to say, cut down the strut AND use spacers.

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Wed, 09 June 2004 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do not use spacers!
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Wed, 09 June 2004 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill do my best not to, believe me, id rather not. the way i see it the lower your car is, the less likely you are to need spacers, and my car is "quite" low
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Wed, 09 June 2004 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm gonna take a stab from simon...but i cant resist by asking why its bad or we shouldn't put spacers?

*runs away from simon* Surprised
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Wed, 09 June 2004 22:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks guys again!!

I've got the Tokicos comming from japan.... you all convinced me.

So any recommendations with reguard to spring length?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Wed, 09 June 2004 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
200mm length

easy Razz
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speedcore..i'm interested to know how much shipping would cost to ship those tokico's back..

and via what?

thanks
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Costing me $720 for a set of HTS102s airfreighted to Canberra.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai, is that price from greeniline? seems roughly the same price...
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aye, ordered today, and paid for. Just have to wait now.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are they here yet? Laughing

post up some pics when they arrive, i have a few questions relating to the adjustment etc, you should know pretty well once they arrive, im assuming they would come with the adjustment keys..

oh yeah, um something about AE86 suspension...
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can answer those questions if you want, ive played with my workmate's set on the car.
Fire away.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was gooing to PM this, but it hink it is benificial to other people, so here it is, i will remove it if too many people think it is cluttery.

takai,

i was just wondering if there is one key for bound damping rate, and another key for rebound, or if some other method,

do the shocks come with the keys?

can you adjust them on the car as it is sitting there? (dont have to jack it up etc)

are there indexing marks so you know how much you have turned it? or do you just have to guess, as far as i know they dont have any detents, or "clicks" to know how much you have turned it.

have you talked to your mate about shortening the strut casing?

lastish of all, these are actually THE shocks all the club4agers always crap on about? some suspected they should be more expensive than they are, but you know what forums are like.

well its not quite 20, but there are a few for you, happy waiting.

i think i will be ordering mine shortly.

oh yeah, why are you getting them sent to canberra, is it cheaper for you to pick them up from there than have them sent to melbourne?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing

Ok maybe i cant answer all of them. But what i can is this:

There are two keys which we used to adjust my friend's but they wernt the "official" keys, rather just ones which we had around at work.

The shocks do come with the keys from all reports i have heard, and had better do so.

When we were adjusting them we already had the car up and wheels off, so im not entirely sure on that one.

The entire adjustment movement is quite fluid and you mainly have to guess. Easiest way is to adjust full one way or the other and readjust back.

As for shortening the strut casing we will both be doing this when i get mine, and probably when he has some time to swap his over for a little while.

And yes, these are THE shocks which everyone raves about.

Im ordering them to Canberra as i will be going on holidays for a while and i dont quite want to leave the shocks out in the open down here until i get back. The rest of my gear is locked in my room, but i dont think the shocks will get here in time. So i had them sent to my parents place in Canberra where ill be going over the holidays.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool, you answered all of the questions that deserved answering,

i think it would be a good idea to make some sort of template that you sit atop the strut top, so you can tell how far you have adjusted it and repeat on the other side,

i have a guide to adjusting adjustable shocks, ill scan it in for you when im done with my exams if you like.
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would be cool. I was thinking about just making something out of sheet alloy, maybe a little disc which i can pop ontop of the rear strut tops.
the front ones i dont know what ill do.
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have been thinkign about it for a good two minutes now, here is hoe i would do it.

cut a bracket out of aluminium with a hole in the middle that is only slightly larger than your key is with a notch mark in it, screw a super strong rare-earth neodinium magnet to the bottom of the bracket (or glue a magnet out of an old hard drive onto it) this way you will have a fixed reference point and be able to do it the same on both sides,

basically like your disc idea but in reverse if you get my drift, i tried to draw an asci picture, but couldnt be assed.

you could even make up something permanant if you wanted, but that would add a few grammes of unnecassary weight to your car.
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

but i will make a body brace that bolts between the seat latch mounts

has anybody done this? which seat latch mounts do you mean? (im guessing the lower bolts that the 'lock' connects to, and not the upper bolts where the seatbelt comes from)

how much of an improvement will this give?
no_tofu_speed
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Jab what?!!?!
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Thu, 10 June 2004 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drift or track/grip, everyone ops of they can for adjustable coilovers?
What is the (one of the) best shock/spring setup without using adjustable coilvers? Just cnat afford period and ont like idea of having to replace a whole unit when it shits itself until I get rich!
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 11 June 2004 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a question on shockers...i was told that Celica ST185 GT4 shockers will fit into ae86 struts..how is this compared to MR2's shockers mentioned in Club4AG? what are your views on this two shockers?

silly question here, i should get these shockers in performance type and not OEM rite?

what about the rear susp setup for ae86? what shockers would fit with a 6kg springs rear?
bathurst-91
Forums Junkie

April 2004

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Fri, 11 June 2004 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to start another thread but I thought this kinda deals with this topic so =p

My Tokico hts 102's are on their way from japan. Now. heres the problem I face (one of many, heh).

The car previously came with cut springs.. and stock shocks the car was fairly low to put it mildly (i say was because the shocks/springs are now OFF and shes up on jacks).

Im going to order a set of springs to match the short stroke tokico's. But since I dont have stock ae86 springs, and since the ones on the car were cut I really have no comparison on what height to get the springs made up to?.

So I was wondering if someone could help me out here by either;

giving me a range (spring height) that match the tokicos or giving me an example of their ride height (pics) with spring height info...

And one last question. Tokico short strokes dont differ hugely in their stroke rate over other short strokes do they. IE. Im wondering if only people with tokicos can help me!
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Sat, 12 June 2004 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im working on my sus setup atm too and something Bill said cought my eye.

"Fit 50mm thick roll centre adjusters"

This might be real obvious but what exactly are roll centre adjusters?

Thanx

Oh and Bathurst 91 here is some stock spring heights

Rear 343mm

Front 290mm...these were fucked though, tyres sat half way in the guards so yeah...sorry i cant do betta, im guessing that these would be about 330 in good nick.
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Sat, 12 June 2004 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

has anybody done this? which seat latch mounts do you mean? (im guessing the lower bolts that the 'lock' connects to, and not the upper bolts where the seatbelt comes from)

i bought a custom A-spec rear brace from steve-ae86, havent got pics coz i dont have digicam sorry, but basically it runs just behind where the rear seats are, and mounts up fairly high
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Sat, 12 June 2004 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep i got the photo's from steve, did this make a difference on your car?(feeling/handling wise?)
from the photos i see that it is of fairly high build quality-correct?

all i want is a tight rear end! Shocked Shocked Shocked
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Sat, 12 June 2004 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Satoshi wrote on Fri, 11 June 2004 15:00

a question on shockers...i was told that Celica ST185 GT4 shockers will fit into ae86 struts..how is this compared to MR2's shockers mentioned in Club4AG? what are your views on this two shockers?

silly question here, i should get these shockers in performance type and not OEM rite?

what about the rear susp setup for ae86? what shockers would fit with a 6kg springs rear?

bumper.. Sad
45aken
Regular

February 2004
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Sat, 12 June 2004 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i looked into getting the celica ST204 GT4 celica KYB AGX shocks. the celica shocks are much smaller (60mm i think) than the ae86 shocks so some kind of coilover sleve setup would be wanted/needed. they are $650 a pair of fronts, 8 way adjustable.

i haven't looked into the MR2 shocks, but for some reason im thinking they wont be that good due to the MR2's mid mount engine (the springs rates would therefore be lighter at the front and heavier at the back, as opposed to the AE86's FR engine)

just my $0.02
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 Street/Track Suspension.. Sat, 12 June 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
45aken: have u check out for coilover sleeve kits prices and what rear shocks are u fitting?
Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:igniter problem
Next Topic:Nissan Silvia J 1992 Help!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:56:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00888991355896 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.