Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Air conditioning 18R-G Sat, 05 June 2004 00:29 Go to next message
Has anyone on the forums ever setup air conditioning on their 18R-G?
My guess would be that one would need to find the air con bracket that suits the 18R block, but can the 18r-c compressor be used or was there another 18R-G specific compressor used?

I would like to reinstate the aircon after the engine conversion if it isn't going to cost more than the engine...

Cheers
Simon.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Air conditioning 18R-G Sat, 05 June 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the compressor doesnt fit onto the bracket then modify the 18r-g one if possible
just make sure you use all the old air con equipment together, as they can be tempremental(ie if you use a larger or smaller condensor things might not work the way they should, same goes with the evaporator, tex valve etc)
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Air conditioning 18R-G Sat, 05 June 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I'd like to used the original 18R-C setup on the 18R-G but as far as I can see in a quick look at the compressor and its location on the original engine It's going to clash with the plenum intake and looks like it needs to be located on the other side above the alternator. The other option looks like finding another similar setup on another car and modifying the brackets to suit. ie RA65. was looking for information from other people who have done this or am I on my own???
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Air conditioning 18R-G Sat, 05 June 2004 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you have to sit it on the opposite side of the engine
then you'd need custom lines obviously
it still sounds easier to fab up a bracket for your existing compressor and get some lines made up for it. if you get a similar setup for your engine from say a ra65 like you mentioned, make sure you get ALL of the components in the AC system...even then you'd probably be looking at custom lines, unless you were really lucky

[Updated on: Sat, 05 June 2004 01:07]

Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Air conditioning 18R-G Sat, 05 June 2004 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmmm... Looks like another trip to pick'n'payheaps.
I'm hoping to find the braket the I can modify to sit on the other side and use the 18R-C compressor (and thus all standard A/C equiptment), however a smaller more compact compressor would be benificial. I have no real issues with getting custom lines made up to suit, the main issue seems to be mounting the compressor.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Air conditioning 18R-G Sat, 05 June 2004 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on the 18R-G, the air con compressor sits on the exhaust side.
see pic:

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0UgCfAkcYwOcr4ogpFpntv471!Ij!SYqBRfBuVz7piJFsODIRpmySv9FI4STV7Wd4WwUi21qK2EzVvXZFD0gT03KpRBev!YStEhe*ZmjC!A7oYlWHVn8DsneoKJC5cClV/s18rge,%20with%20air%20con.jpg?dc=4675398442839363907

You cant really use the 18R-C compressor, its mounting is all wrong and shit. I have an 18R-G compressor, and compared to the 18R-C its totally different.

I will be using the 18R-G compressor with the remaining 18R-C gear and custom lines.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Air conditioning 18R-G Sat, 05 June 2004 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shoudlnt be a problem as long as they pump the same amount of gas

if its a larger compressor be aware that you might find your evaporator iceing up(and thus not cooling your car properly)

if its a smaller compressor(as in doesnt pump\suck as much) then you might find that it could have problems pulling down to a suitable temp

that said, since the engines came in similar cars sizes(sort of) you shouldnt have too much of a problem

[Updated on: Tue, 08 June 2004 06:12]

people100
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Air conditioning 18R-G Sat, 05 June 2004 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a special 18rg air con bracket but 18rc compressor can be used...Just mod the 18rc bracket so it fits and that way you dont need to make up new lines as the rg bracket is on the opposite side i think
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Air conditioning 18R-G Sun, 06 June 2004 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
erm... i dont think there is ANYWHERE near enough room on the intake side of an 18R-G to put the 18R-C compressor on....

If you need to check it out lambo, i have the compressor and brackets here to look at.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Air conditioning 18R-G Sun, 06 June 2004 23:24 Go to previous message
I might take you up on that look Witzl... I'm 90% sure there is now way living that the 18R-C compressor will go on the intake side of the engine. the 18R-G compressor looks smaller more cylindrical?? looking at that photo.

Karl any Idea if the compressor belt runs off the spare pully or is it running off the alternator belt? Me thinks I'm going to run out of pulleys Rolling Eyes
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:shocks setup
Next Topic:Motor Oil
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 9 10:58:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053951740264893 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.