Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
3TGTE CAMS Wed, 11 September 2002 07:11 Go to next message
Has anyone here played around with the timing of the stock 3TGTE cams? Are aftermarket ones available at reasonable cost or is a regrind the way to go. I am after more top end power.
  Send a private message to this user    
lvn-ra65c
Regular

May 2002

Re: 3TGTE CAMS Wed, 11 September 2002 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you tried the bigger turbo option? Smiley =
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3TGTE CAMS Thu, 12 September 2002 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I already have a larger turbo. It's a modified VG30 T3 with a VL turbo exhaust wheel.
lvn-ra65c
Regular

May 2002

Re: 3TGTE CAMS Thu, 12 September 2002 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd tried to see if TRD still has any or maybe see if you can find something from a 2tg to use ...I dont know if it'll work but i dont see why not Smiley =
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  Re: 3TGTE CAMS Thu, 12 September 2002 23:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tanman,

Mate Turbo cam timing is an Art in itself, Not many people I know have bothered to change there cams. In fact only person I know (other than me) with modded T series Turbo cams is a guy in the states. He uses 2TG cams in his T series Turbo and cracks a low 10 Second Quarter Mile !

You would want to make sure they were timed correctly when installed tho.

Only 2TG cams I have that I would part with are Tina's old Rally cams.

Specs are : Camtech Stage 2 401A Profile, 241 Duration at 50 with 372 Thou Lift.

I'd want $200 tho.

Ray Hall and I were actually discussing cams just this week and his personal opinion is that the best Turbo cam is a Good rally cam so I was thinking of trying these puppies out with a Turbo myself. But hey thats just one more thing on my try it and see list Smile

Hope that helps,
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3TGTE CAMS Fri, 13 September 2002 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey rod,

Would these cams fit a 3TGTE head? If so what condition are they in?
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3TGTE CAMS Fri, 13 September 2002 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tanman,

The Cams are in Great condition and were in Tina's car for most of the 2 years it was running. They only cam out when we upgraded to some L1 Cosworth Race cams for the last Dyno Day.

Yes they will fit a 3TGTE head no worries at all. As with any cam swap your shims will almost definatly need to be adjusted.

If your in Sydney Graham Wilkins can machine new Shims to suit.
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3TGTE CAMS Fri, 13 September 2002 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rod,

$200 sounds fair. If your want to sell them I will be in Sydney sometime during the month.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3TGTE CAMS Fri, 13 September 2002 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what makes a cam a 'rally' cam??
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3TGTE CAMS Fri, 13 September 2002 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am guessing a Rally cam gives good all round power. Less than maximum posiable power, but a bit more torque in the mid range and more drivable, but still wilder than a standard cam. Because rally can be stop and start, and while you are generaly "pedal to the metal", you don't want it to bog down in sharp corners too much. Is that right?

And because turbo engines work better with standard cams, they should work better with rally cams than with full duration race cams.

I have heard with a N/A engine, they can work well when the inlet cam has more duration than the exhaust, like 304/288. And with a turbo aplication, you can use the longer duration cam on the exhaust side, like 256/288?
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3TGTE CAMS Mon, 16 September 2002 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tanman,

Please drop me an email or give me a call to arrange a time and date.

thetoyman75@hotmail.com
0416 181 284

TE72-Turbo,

A "rally" cam typically is very much how Johnny described. A Rally cam is all about obtaining the best Useable power not the Highest possible output. In a Rally car or track car you will have all sorts of parts of the track that need a good midrange power. These particular cams have really nice strong RPM band of power. In Tinas they pulled nicely from around the 2500 - 6200 RPM mark. That way you have a nice fat powerband but it is at the expence of "peak" power.

A Cam for the Qtr mile or all out Horsepower will have No bottom end next to no mid range and a Narrow power band at High RPM. Once your in the powerband its great but you don't want to have to climb to it more than once Wink Kinda like waiting for a Big turbo to kick in but then finding out it wasn't worth the wait Razz

thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3TGTE CAMS Mon, 16 September 2002 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and as for rally cams in Turbo Engines... There are a few schools of thought Much like the varing theories of High compression /low boost verses Big Boost /lowish compression.

However according to Ray Hall his personal preference is indeed a good rally cam. He said something to colourful to write here about what most cam grinders provide. Then went on to say that as a rule of thumb when using a N/A set of cams on a Turbo engine add 1000Rpm to the powerband. Ie, On a 3TGTE Tina's cams wil in theory be in the powerband from 3500 - 7200 RPm which seemed pretty bloody good to me ! In fact I was kinda hopeing noone bought them so I could try em out myself in an upcoming project Wink
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: 3TGTE CAMS Thu, 15 April 2004 21:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was doing some searching and im well late on this post, however for future reference, you CAN NOT use a 2tg intake cam in a 3tg head unless you are running after market ignition system and no dizzy, the factory 3tgteu intake cam has a drive for the dizzy which the 2tg cam does not have.

Regards
Logan

TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: 3TGTE CAMS Fri, 16 April 2004 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tanman wrote on Wed, 11 September 2002 17:11

Has anyone here played around with the timing of the stock 3TGTE cams? Are aftermarket ones available at reasonable cost or is a regrind the way to go. I am after more top end power.

What sort of power are you after? Unless its over 200kw at the wheels then I wouldn't waste money on cams. You can get this sort of power using stock cams. Better option is pistons, turbo, intake plenum, exhaust manifold, intercooler etc.

Simon
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: 3TGTE CAMS Fri, 16 April 2004 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW, Sean Moloney sells regorund cams to suit the 3T GTE. I think they sell for around $600.

Simon
SRacin
Regular

March 2004

Re: 3TGTE CAMS Sat, 17 April 2004 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im after decent horsepower, I already have ROSS racing forged pistons, shotpeening, stress relived rods, etc, new bearings etc etc,balanced.
Im actually going to run a 2tgeu head (88261) with a vg30 T3 turbo, link computer, custom plenum, fmic.
The motor was in my ke25 corrolla, but the bearings gave up, so its in the works at the moment, and yess 200kw would be bloody nice...

Logan
Bigby 3tg
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: 3TGTE CAMS Tue, 05 October 2004 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does Sean moloney still sell those 3tg cams if so how can i get in contact and what r the specs of the new cams
3T-GTE
Regular

August 2003
Re: 3TGTE CAMS Tue, 05 October 2004 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try giving him a call on +61 (3) 9428-5277
Bigby 3tg
Occasional Poster

October 2004
Re: 3TGTE CAMS Wed, 06 October 2004 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the no ill give him a ring

Cheers Smile
AE25
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3TGTE CAMS Fri, 17 December 2004 21:46 Go to previous message
jumping in late again...
anyone tried 2tg cams in a 3tgte head (aftermarket ign)
or someone done complete std 2tg head on 3tgte with any success... or does anyone have a good idea if the n/a 2tg cams will be suitable for turboing? curious to see if they produce more power without too much overlap etc... cheap mods Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4th gen celica 3sgte RWD conversion?
Next Topic:boost problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 25 19:30:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060660839080811 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.