Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » The Outhouse » Awesome bittorrent client!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Awesome bittorrent client! Thu, 27 May 2004 13:17 Go to next message
Check it out!

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/img/sc/details_view_small.png

[Updated on: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:21]

Send a private message to this user    
Callifo
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Thu, 27 May 2004 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I prefer this one http://bittornado.com/ Razz
stereomike
Regular

February 2004
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Thu, 27 May 2004 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.shareaza.com is the best in my opinion.
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Fri, 28 May 2004 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azureus rocks. The best BT client imho. The fact that you can set it up to use just one port and the ability to download seperate files within one torrent are what wins it over for me.
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Fri, 28 May 2004 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What the fuck are you g33ks talking about?! Razz Very Happy
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Fri, 28 May 2004 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought you were talking about a pissed off customer! Laughing
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Fri, 28 May 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoa... welcome to 6 months ago Nark. Been using Azureus since it arrived on the scene. No other client's even come close.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Fri, 28 May 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lucid wrote on Fri, 28 May 2004 10:04

What the fuck are you g33ks talking about?! Razz Very Happy

BitTorrent is a peer to peer protocol.

Soarer wrote on Fri, 28 May 2004 11:32

Whoa... welcome to 6 months ago Nark. Been using Azureus since it arrived on the scene. No other client's even come close.

Hey, I'd only finally decided to get off my arse and check out BitTorrent about a month ago! Razz
Thank goodness I've got unlimited downloads! hehe
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Fri, 28 May 2004 09:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I downloaded this today so that i could get some car vids that somebody posted on here.... how would i go about finding other bit torrent links for movies to download?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Fri, 28 May 2004 11:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.suprnova.org is what you need!
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Fri, 28 May 2004 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

THANK YOU!!!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Fri, 28 May 2004 18:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trouble with suprnova is you can't search for files within it. You have to look. Only downside.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some more for you.

http://isohunt.com/
http://www.packetnews.com/
http://www.n4p.com/
http://www.torrentsearch.net/search.htm
http://throughput.de/index.php?page=bittorrent& ;language=en
http://www.watchen.tv/
http://www.gfx4u.de/
http://www.googivx.com/

Happy hunting. Smile
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
clubagreenie wrote on Sat, 29 May 2004 04:42

Trouble with suprnova is you can't search for files within it. You have to look. Only downside.

You can, there's a search button on the top middle

http://69.50.170.101/
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 01:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.torrentreactor.net/
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only thing is it doesn't seem to be very fast at downloading...

Trying to download Shrek 2 time elapsed is 12 hours and 09 minutes with only 314.8mb downloaded.... thats on uncapped cable aswell. Rolling Eyes
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are you behind a firewall?

If so, go to the original BitTorrent website and read their stuff about being behind a firewall (and how to bust a hole in it).
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
firewall will either stop bittorrent or - if correctly forwarding ports - make it work.

Speed issues will come from number of available peers sharing same file and the bandwidth between them/you.

i ended up running the client outside my firewall as i didn't want to forward ports to a specific machine inside my homeLan - would have prevented other folks/machines from running bittorrent clients... of course, this only works if you use an actual workstation for a firewall, instead of a router/switch.
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
One PC is directly connected to the cable connection and shares the connection to my PC whilst using the inbuilt firewall from XP till i get off my ass and organise something better... i followed the instructions from the site and have opened those ports, so i'll see how i go. It's probably damn dial up users downloading movies Mad
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Sat, 29 May 2004 14:00

firewall will either stop bittorrent or - if correctly forwarding ports - make it work.

Nah, it'll just make it slow. I'm behind a firewall and it all works.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Sat, 29 May 2004 14:29

thechuckster wrote on Sat, 29 May 2004 14:00

Nah, it'll just make it slow. I'm behind a firewall and it all works.

why should a firewall slow it down?

a decent firewall (e.g. real configurable/logging-capable/alarm-configurable/et c thing) should have no effect on network traffic thru-put.

Mine's a 300mhz G3 with two network ports. Average cpu load is about 1%. Does nothing that woudl slow packet handling down. cost not much more that $110 from memory.
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 05:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Nark, I'm real new to this, I've just gotten the program running and have a download happening, and it says it's uploading as well, so I assume that's all good. But what's the bottom window for in the "my torrents" list? It seems to be a mirror of the top window which has my download/upload in it, but the bottom one is empty.

EDIT: Nevermind. I just found out. It's seeding. Smile

[Updated on: Sat, 29 May 2004 06:11]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thechuckster wrote on Sat, 29 May 2004 15:02

why should a firewall slow it down?

a decent firewall (e.g. real configurable/logging-capable/alarm-configurable/et c thing) should have no effect on network traffic thru-put.

Mine's a 300mhz G3 with two network ports. Average cpu load is about 1%. Does nothing that woudl slow packet handling down. cost not much more that $110 from memory.

You've forced me to pull my Google out...

http://knowbuddy.dyndns.org:81/torrent/btclientcon fig.html
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes, i know all about firewall configuration.... i'm not new to it (having been working in design/IT since about 1992).

... so why would bittorrent be any slower inside a firewall (on contrast to being outside it or not using one at all) if you've got port forwarding correctly setup?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You didn't actually read that link did you?
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
em .. yes i did...

in particular the line with ..."Once you get the bogus IP address issue and the port forwarding straightened out, people will be able to talk to you."

and ..."Configuring your firewall and BitTorrent client correctly is therefore essential for getting good download speeds!"

and this bit ..."People who are incorrectly configured (behind a firewall without port forwarding) can still join the swarm and download from other clients, but since the primary seeding client won't talk to them they are at a serious disadvantage." near the bottom.

which points to my earlier assetion of
Quote:

firewall will either stop bittorrent or - if correctly forwarding ports - make it work

not being quite right (tho it should be noted that some early bittorrent client did not work at all behind firewalls as they did not correctly deal with with NATed packets).

... but they led me to question your assertion about slowness behind a firewall (my emphasis)
Quote:

why would bittorrent be any slower inside a firewall (on contrast to being outside it or not using one at all) if you've got port forwarding correctly setup?

as once the firewall's correct, speed should not be an issue. but your earlier post seemed to infer there would be.

jeez - arguments about semantics on a saturday nite... how lame. Wink
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 29 May 2004 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was actually making a response to your statement that a firewall will stop p2p traffic.

My original post was also about how a firewall would be why he was getting slow throughput.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sun, 30 May 2004 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK then, i had read your thread differently ...

(jumps of increasingly rickety looking high horse).

...sorry for being a bit of a dick.

tho ... my experience with bittorrent clients has been that they dont work from inside my firewall at all, ulessl i enabled port-forwarding. Or that even tho they ran, no data ever got downloaded, despite telling the app. of the firewall's IP address.

It is easier for me to run them 'outside' the firewall, controlling the app. via remote desktop (on mac) or ssh'ing to the box to then run the command line client version.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sun, 30 May 2004 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe I think we both misunderstood each other. Smile

I can tell you that it does work behind a Linux IPTables firewall though! Smile
And I can't really port forward, 'coz multiple machines behind the firewall use BitTorrent. I just live with the slow speeds by having many torrents going at once. Smile
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sun, 30 May 2004 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Looks like its all fixed, i'd say that it averages about 50KB/s now over 3 different downloads... looks like i will need a bigger hard drive now Laughing
adamk_47
Occasional Poster

May 2004
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sun, 30 May 2004 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where does everyone go to search for bittorrent seeds??....normally i use mIRC which goes at very good speed. but i also have bittorrent, but it goes @ speed like 3-4kb/s for me...which is extremely slow consider i hav 512 adsl.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sun, 30 May 2004 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
adamk_47 wrote on Mon, 31 May 2004 00:15

where does everyone go to search for bittorrent seeds??....normally i use mIRC which goes at very good speed. but i also have bittorrent, but it goes @ speed like 3-4kb/s for me...which is extremely slow consider i hav 512 adsl.

Read the thread in its entirety. Your questions have already been answered.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Mon, 31 May 2004 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 27 May 2004 23:17

Check it out!

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/img/sc/details_view_small.png

none of the download files work!!

ghey!
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Mon, 31 May 2004 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Possibly to do with them just updating to a new version?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Mon, 31 May 2004 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps this?
http://azureus.sourceforge.net/faq.php#4
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Fri, 04 June 2004 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i found that if i brige my modem to my firewall box(freeBSD) and just use kernal packet filtering to firewall thing out(IPFW) i get no connection issues, even without port forwarding.

Cheers,
Charlie.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 June 2004 15:09]

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 05 June 2004 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I find bittorrent a pain in the arse with ADSL.
The min upload speed is 10k/sec which is almost all of my bandwidth so I can never finish downloading anything because all my bandwidth is used to upload!
tafebum
Regular

December 2002
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 05 June 2004 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That depends on what clientyou use, im on adsl, 512/128, i usually set mine to 3k upload and just download two things at once.

That way i can still use the net.
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Mon, 07 June 2004 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azureus is the best bittorent application around

but it is also the most memoryleakiest and memory hoggiest java program around Sad
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Mon, 07 June 2004 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have dial up so everythig is crap and slow!!! i can only download when i go to sleep Cool so i dont bother with the fancy dancy programs, i just click and download and go to bed!! %90 its done when i wake up if not im Mad then go back to sleep Laughing ...

/end bitchn`
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Mon, 07 June 2004 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its installed now how the hell do i use it?
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Wed, 09 June 2004 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrAiGzEE wrote on Tue, 08 June 2004 00:02

its installed now how the hell do i use it?

Go to suprnova.org and have a look around.

Man, 9 days into the month and I've used 7.5gig of my 12gig plan..... Very Happy (Thanks Nark. Wink ). And that is download only, my ISP doesn't count uploads or I'd be over for sure.

I think I'll hold off until near the end of this month. Good thing I've got pretty much all I want though, so I don't have much more to go nuts over. Just mainly simpsons episodes now.....
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Thu, 10 June 2004 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gearb0x wrote on Mon, 07 June 2004 10:43

but it is also the most memoryleakiest and memory hoggiest java program around Sad

Yup. I was wondering today why my system load was hovering up around the 4-5 mark so I did a ps... 90 freaking Java processes running!!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Thu, 10 June 2004 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check this out...
This is what my system load is currently... All because of Azureus... hehe

http://nark.is-a-geek.com/tmp/Screenshot-XLoad.png

It spikes at 19 at one point.

Best thing is that I can't even notice the load. Love the new 2.6 kernel!!
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Fri, 11 June 2004 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Am currently pshing 60-70k/s after turning off the firewall (mac built in) with <20 seeds and >20k/s upload. Is this good or should you be telling me to tweak azureus some more?
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Sat, 19 June 2004 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Thu, 10 June 2004 22:12

Best thing is that I can't even notice the load. Love the new 2.6 kernel!!

On windows you do :/

So as soon as exams finish ill switch back to FreeBSD for day to day computing

XP is really giving me the shits as of late
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Awesome bittorrent client! Mon, 28 June 2004 18:08 Go to previous message
Lang says to azureus "where have you been all my life"

im currently downloading a 24cd box set of duke ellintons music, do u have any idea how long that wouldve taken any other way!!!. and also dowloading games and anime, i think i just went to heaven
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Faces to the name!!
Next Topic:Info of aussie car legal matters.....info please
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 01:43:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0071959495544434 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.